Thursday, December 16, 2010

The Curse of Doing Something Right . . . Once

Once upon a time I had a real life Martha Stewart Holiday (I say Holiday, not out of some desire to be PC but because it was a whole season from Thanksgiving to New Year's Day) - and it has haunted me ever since.



All right, perhaps it wasn't full on Martha.  I mean, I didn't make my own evergreen wreaths or ride in a horse drawn sleight to deliver hand made gifts but I did host Thanksgiving, had many guests during December, serving amazing cookies on exactly the right serving platters, constructed an elaborate Christmas clue hunt in order to surprise my son with the perfect present AND host a New Year's Eve buffet. The food was good. The serving ware was vintage and/or sparkling new. The house was clean and decorated. We had a real fire place.

sigh.

How will I ever do THAT again? If this year (and, well, every other year SINCE then) is any indication? I won't. Life was so much easier when every year was a big mess.



With all that in mind, this year's Christmas party menu: Go to Whole Foods. Buy what looks good and requires no cooking. Come home. Clean house. Set Food out. Welcome family - laugh much, be awed at all the love.

Ahhh. Martha herself couldn't do it better.

2 comments:

  1. Annie, as always, you write so "down home" that I not only thoroughly enjoy reading your work, but I very often can identify with what you have written. What a gift you have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww Pammy thanks, that's so sweet - this blog is my way of giving a character in my new book an anchor - she exists in the real world, if only in blog form (though I don't try to write like her, etc)

    ReplyDelete

Loved To Have Their Own Say In Things Ones say:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...