Sunday, April 17, 2011

I'm Running....

 A - little behind
(precious fleamarket finds this past week $1 each)




Dear Helen Hartman
           Yesterday after a breakfast where my bacon had curled and my 3 minute eggs left to languish for nearly 4 minutes, I shared Dr. Bender’s How Do You Rate As a Wife Quiz with my wife suggesting that she could learn a thing or two from it.
"I want to have gas when I grow up, Mommy!"
"Eat like this, use a great big phony smile to hide your real emotions, swallow any comments that might make you seem smart and you'll have plenty of gas, sweetie. And maybe an ulcer that can help keep you thin, too!" 



My wife, however, made her own suggestions (if you count throwing the frying pan at my head as a suggestion) that I take the quiz and rethink my sleeping options for the night.
          Love something to change her stinkin' thinkin' and get me off the couch

Dear Relegated to the Love-Seat One
            There have always been those who gazed upon the confident and comforting, patient and perfectly coifed sweet and saintly icon of the American housewife and said – YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME! 

            If your wife must throw something at you, perhaps she should try a copy of Peg Bracken’s I HATE TO COOK book (Or any of Bracken's books). It will make an impression, I promise. More so if you pick it up when it bounces off that empty-melon of a head of yours and read a few pages.

My favorite tin and my recent find - a copy of I Hate To Cook
And if wifey decides she likes sleeping alone, she can take a page from an article in 
Good Housekeeping 1951. 
 



No, not date a dork that you can strong-arm into doing things your way.


 
 You can have a single career girl’s wardrobe for just $99!









Have a great day and if you find yourself tempted to act like a Bender Wife (Steppford? Those amatuers!), ask yourself, WWPD (What Would PEG Do?) – and think outside the recipe box!
Cute little box - .50 cents! Perfect for participating in Blue Monday at Smiling Sally
and Nifty Thrifty Tuesday at Coastal Charm

25 comments:

  1. What a lovely way to end my night. Your blog is such a delight to read. May your week be filled with lovely thrifting!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are just too much fun! I LOVE your posts they always bring a smile to my face. Your finds are FANTASTIC. I hope to do some thrifting this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love, love, love your blog! I don't know where you pull up all these old pictures and writings but I swear I think I remember some of them.
    Have a great week!
    Karen
    Ladybug Creek

    ReplyDelete
  4. My my those old advertisements would be considered false advertisement or even propaganda by today's standards. Wherever do you find this old neat stuff?~Ames

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello:
    What a joy to read this is: amusing and witty, clever, subtle, refeshingly different and always superbly, and aptly, illustrated. We do hope that you have an eye on publication!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great read to start my Monday. The I Hate To Cook book looks like a real hoot! Looks like you found some fun treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kim and Jori thanks - and good thrifting wishes back to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Karen - the writing and pics are all me and mine - which may be why they lok familiar - not a wide range of good backgrounds around the old homestead! Thanks for your kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ames - really, it's only a few magazines but they are cram packed with these ads and articles! One of the funnest things about collecting a few magazines and pamphlets - they are usually cheap and don't take up much space. Try it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jane and Lance - thanks, my other 'job' is writing for publication, writing for fun is a lot more... um, fun.

    Heidi - just found that Peg has books about hating housekeeping, etiquette, behaving and aging -- all the same things I hate! Am on the prowl for more of her stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This was great fun and I love how Mz Helen thinks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have us in stitches again Annie - we shared that last post with so many people - of course, we don't know if our husbands got the same kick out of it :) lol!
    Love all of your pics....actually we are amazed that someone has more than we do - love that new "cookbook" (if you CAN call a hate to cook cookbook a cookbook) looks like a lot-o-fun :) Have a lovely day!
    Karla & Karrie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your blue box!

    Happy Blue Monday, Helen.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Helen Hartman,
    My question for you today is...Where the heck have you been all my blog life?
    You are a hoot and a half. I love smart, funny women and you my dear...are both! I'm especially fond of throwed off folks and I do believe you qualify.
    Thanks for finding me and leaving a trail of cookie crumbs for me to follow to your back door!
    Looks like I got a lot of reading...and advice to catch up on!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  15. This are awesome. I missed looking this graphics on the magazine. Thanks a lot!
    Blue Monday

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for dropping by Debbie and Kim!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very pretty!

    Would you mind peeking at my blues? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This post reminded me of a friend's recent Facebook status:
    "A real woman always has a clean house, empty laundry basket, is well made-up, smells good, is slim, healthy, eloquent and is perfectly well-behaved....Copy this status if you, too, are beginning to suspect that you are a man."
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are just the sweetest gal. Sorry to hear your sense of smell is gone...that just stinks! Bubblegum was a good one, very unexpected, but that is what I love about these questions, you never know what you will hear.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi I'm stopping by from homeroad.net. Thanks for your lovely comment about my menu board. I couldn't reply directly to you as you have a "no-reply" setting. Thanks for stopping by and I hope you will become a follower. If you need help changing your settings please see my blog sidebar for directions. Have a great day!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  21. you are too funny! love your blog, thanks for finding me! so i could find you. your treasures are great too, i need the i hate to cook book. that is so me. following back!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks Susan - I am still very new at this kind of blogging (do it for work and career where interaction is not the goal!). Will check out the link.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thansk Tammy - the book it worth it for the atypical for the day snarkiness but the recipes are mind bogglers - they might inspire your family to write a "I hate to eat what mom cooks" book!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great post and cute thrifty box...thanks for coming to my Nifty Thrifty Tuesdays Party...hope you are having a fun time here:)

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete

Loved To Have Their Own Say In Things Ones say:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...