Saturday, August 13, 2011

Postcards from an Altered Reality

Dear Helen Hartman,
I've got to get out of here! No not taking a vacation from reality, trying to find a way to escape all these reality TV shows.
   There is nothing to love there, don't you agree?

Dear... oh to heck with it, I can't say another word without confessing I love Celebrity Ghost Stories and American Pickers (are those reality TV?)  and My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding - how could you NOT? Have you seen those dresses?
It took him a year to propose. I wasn't going to waste another second, so I grabbed the paper table cloth and napkin and made a dress on the spot!


But Helen, you say, the young women hardly wear anything the rest of the time, aren't you shocked? Shocked? If Helen were a sweet young thing she might just go around buck nekkid, you don't know!

Oh right, Madonna wore this when she was your age and it was fashion. If she went out like this today people would shake their head and mutter about having another 'senior moment'.

TV certainly has changed. But you know - the more things change the more they stay the same.
 Yesterday on NPR we tuned into the middle of discussion of a wacky group who climbed into a pained bus and went around the country getting up to a bunch of crazy adventures. 
I guessed: The Partridge Family. 
Sqeeeeee - He's as dreamy as David Cassidy!
 The kids guessed Sarah Palin's whatever the heck that deal she's doin' is, you betcha.
I can see Iowa from my bus!

 Of course it was the tale of The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test by Thomas Wolfe about Ken Kesey and the Merry Pranksters.
The kids asked me why I didn't know the right answer and I had to explain that I am not as old as it seems from their vantage point, at that time I was just discovering real Kool-Aid!

And if everything old is new again, then Helen suggests you do what she did last night to avoid bad programming...


Yes. Bad TV has driven me to ... crafting.
Inspired by this FAB postcard (a gift from my friend Betsy on the World's Longest Yardsale). It's my second favorite find: I think of it as The Original Jersey Shore.

I took a stab at altered art!  Made a copy, found an old blank journal, some scrapbook paper, glitter, rhinestones, shells and...
And, well, compared to crafts I've seen by other bloggers, it's... Let's say it's a pilot not likely to get picked up. Still, a fun evening. Let's all hope there is something better on TV tomorrow.

Joining How Sweet the Sound for a very special Pink Saturday - please visit the links and leave a comment.

14 comments:

  1. Great share, my friend. Love your humor.

    Would you be so kind to leave a comment on my BLOG ONLY, for the Miracle Makeover fund drive. Charlie, 8 yr. old, & his story are fabulous. Every comment brings us a $1 for the next person that will be sponsored.

    Have a beautiful weekend.
    Hugs,
    TTFN ~
    Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reality shows make me have the strangest urge to scrub toilets and clean gutters. But I confess that I have every episode of NCIS and Bones memorized. We all have our guilty pleasures, I guess. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just love your attempt at crafting....I am subscribed...I don't know why but the posts haven't been coming...:((

    ReplyDelete
  4. On my way over to you blog Marydon -
    Dana - I have WAAAAAY more guilty pleasure that bad TV!
    Pinkim - I've had trouble leaving comments on blogs lately. Blogger is persnickity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That book was one of my generation's favs, of course I was a full blown flower child! Cute post. I still tend to avoid the real world as much as possible, but I do it by getting absorbed in my vintage stuff~!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Altered reality and parallel universe - we're twins separated at birth and you were spirited across the border to god-knows-where in the south, never to be seen again.
    I may be getting old, but Kool Aid was still for drinking (or for rolling a dampened finger into the packet and licking the granules, ensuring a purple/orange/whatever finger for a week).

    ReplyDelete
  7. The original Jersey Shore...hee hee!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Reality shows are a waste of time. All of it is staged anyway. Now I'm a Bones fan and a Criminal minds kinda gal, oh and I forgot Rizzoli and Isles too.~Ames

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pondside - Kool-Aid fingers - always a tell-tale sign of summer!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello....hmmm...crafty escapes from bad TV, good results :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amusing, yet very true. I say you did good, and I'd pick up your show any time.

    Thank you for participating in this very special Pink Saturday. I hope your visitors will come over to comment and help us to raise more money for the next Miracle Makeover. The good news is that you can leave a comment each day through the 18th, and each comment earns $1.00. So, please come comment again and again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loved this.

    Do you know there is a new show coming out called "Sister Pickers'? I'm excited about seeing that one, too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for stopping by all - very harried week - Jenny I was not as impressed with Picker Sisters as I wished, but maybe it will grow on me!

    ReplyDelete

Loved To Have Their Own Say In Things Ones say:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...