Sunday, October 16, 2011

Let's Hear if For the Girl Stuff!

Dear Helen Hartman,
This week Jamie Lee Curtis wrote a piece for The Huffington Post questioning if her recent interest in recipes and the home arts and playing word games with her girlfriends online (a modern version of a coffee klatch) goes against the feminist principles of her youth. I can relate but how can someone who fought to break through the glass ceiling now be fighting the urge to cook and craft? I thought if anyone would have an opinion about that it would be you.

Dear 'Loves to Bake her cupcakes and tell the chauvinists to eat it, too' One,
     Have an opinion? You’ve met Helen, right? Because she has enough opinions to start her own…

Oh, C'mon, if you'd seen a gorgeous vintage plate with your name on it for a buck, you'd have bought it and hung it behind your desk to remind people just what a big deal you are, too, right?

I was going to say Helen has enough opinions to start her own fortune cookie factory.

And don't you forget it!

Let’s see women who like girl stuff. I don’t think it’s such a big deal and I certainly don’t think it makes anyone less of a feminist if they like cookbooks and word games with the gals. In fact, I’d say a woman who knows her mind, knows what she wants and isn’t afraid to pursue it is (at least in part) the definition of a feminist. 

Mirror, mirror on the wall, who says women want it all? Kids, career, status, looks? I’d settle for a man who cooks!


Yet somehow Jamie Lee Curtis’s confessional stirred up some controversy.

If loving kitchen appliances is a sin against feminism, then I'm a bad, bad girl. Beat me, whip me, make me... a cake.

Really? It wasn’t like she suggested women start playing dumb to cater to male egos.

"Now see here, even a little woman's brain can get this. The math is easy. If I had three drinks and you took one, then what would I have?"
"10 seconds to hand over the other drinks, you big dope."


Or that women should play second fiddle to men.

I don't know what's full of more hot air, my trashy neighbor Teresa's ratted up fake hair or that shirt saying she's anyone's FIRST Mate.

I'm not saying let's go back to when some people wanted to put women on a pedestal, though that's just where these weekend finds will go - $5 for the pair - 



These are tall, paper mache and yarn, with beads on them  - labeled "exotic ladies" by the seller, I plan to use them as angels this Christmas.


The current generation of feminists did not invent independent, strong minded women. Helen’s own Granny Maggie (mother to Aunt Ruth and mama Maxine) was a Bachelor Girl, a working woman who did not marry until she was…. Gasp… 30!
Maggie Lillian Jewel Barrett shortly after her marriage.
Long before anyone coined the phrase having it all, our foremothers did just that and then some...
Nobody barks orders at this lady!
In other words, your granny wore Army boots -- and we are proud she did.

And she (and other women before us) ran their homes, cooked, cleaned, sewed their own clothes, wore the coolest hairstyles and certainly had their own ideas about womanhood.

My boyfriend told me I should turn up the heat on our love life, so I got myself a blow torch.
Liking what you like? What would we think if a man wondered about enjoying manly stuff?
Yeah, I'm a grown man with a lifetime of achievements who has worked hard to earn the respect and admiration of others and I'm not afraid to say it. I like sports, sandwiches and boobies.

We wouldn’t even blink. 


Because we'd be staring at them and shaking our heads in disbelief that they would say that out loud.

He didn't even mention playing 'pull my finger'. You know how they can't resist that.

So why the big fuss? Because we were supposed to have grown beyond liking girl things even when ‘girl things’ give us comfort, contentment, connectedness and sometimes if we are crafty enough or good at cooking enough - cold hard cash? 
If Helen were to write a fortune cookie about that it might read simply:
I am woman hear me roar - and look amazing doing it!
Pfffffftttttt!!

To read the article by Jamie Lee Curtis go here

21 comments:

  1. You always bring a chuckle to me, sweetie!
    Have a beautiful week.
    TTFN ~
    Hugs,
    Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Marydon, a beautiful week is just what I have in mind! Hope the same for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So Jamie Lee has other interests, good for her! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. *My God that blue General Electric mixer is like a small piece of Heaven. It is flipping gorgeous!

    p.s.
    Dear Electric Acrylic Grape's band:
    I have no idea what the true substance of our vintage grapes are. But I have seen alot of E-bay auctions listing them as lucite... or acrylic grapes.

    So I googled it.. and this is what Wiki said:

    Poly(methyl methacrylate) (PMMA) is a transparent thermoplastic, often used as a light or shatter-resistant alternative to glass. It is sometimes called acrylic glass. Chemically, it is the synthetic polymer of methyl methacrylate. The material was developed in 1928 in various laboratories, and was first brought to market in 1933 by Rohm and Haas Company, under the trademark Plexiglas.[4] It has since been sold under many different names including Lucite and Perspex.

    But keep your band name as is because Electric Acrylic Grapes sounds better than Electric Lucite Grapes. LOL
    =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with VC on that mixer, it's glorious! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Karen - I adore Jamie Lee - she is a children's author as well.

    Coconut - thanks for the info, I agree, methacrylate is not a good band name either!

    I confess, ya'll, I did not buy the mixer because I couldn't think what to DO with it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely and interesting post. Please have a great happy BM.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for a smile on Monday morning. :)

    Hubby watched "Airplane" from the 60's last night where Dean Martin was a chauvinistic pig. That's so WRONG! I couldn't watch it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoy my share of so-called "girly" things. What I didn't enjoy was being told I had to like them...or that I wasn't smart enough to handle my own finances. Like Jamie Lee, male chauvinism had a way of bringing out the feminism in me too. :)

    It seems hard to believe, but when I got married in the 1960s, women in Texas still didn't really have equal rights. For example, a woman could have a job, but her earnings were legally under the control of her husband.

    We've come a long way, baby.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I married in 1958 and my earnings were mine; however, I did not live in Texas. Ah well . . .

    Happy Blue Monday to you, Helen!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your post makes me smile I was born in the 60's reading and this is a great information of what happened at that time.

    Farmers Market Galore

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your Monday Musings are the perfect way to end my work-day. Cheers it's nearly happy-hour!

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOL Dana and Sally - I was a kid in the 60s some that time in Texas and I recall when we bought our house there one way women were protected is she had to go into a room with a judge or lawyer (or something official) w/o my dad and swear she was not being forced by her husband to buy or sell her home.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That blue mixer is SO super cool! My husband and I were just chatting about woman acting manly, but then wanting to be treated like a lady. It isn't weak to be feminine and like girl stuff. It's sad because I know men who have been chewed out for holding the door open for a woman. We can be smart,spunky women and still be treated with respect. As always you are adorable, and I feel happy after reading your post. :)

    PS-Thanks for the ebook tip. My sis in law said the hard copy didn't have any flaws at all.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Loved visiting and learning your thoughts and things from another time.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So beautiful!

    Please come and peek at my blue when you get a chance. Have a lovely week!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks LV and Chubskulit - your links don't work, is that something I need to allow or is it something bout your link? I don't know.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You KNOW I'm loving that blue mixer!!!

    ReplyDelete

Loved To Have Their Own Say In Things Ones say:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...