Sunday, December 4, 2011

The Very First Chicksmas

Dear Loved Ones,
On my way home from the first ever Chicksmas.  There is something wonderful about the company of good women. When you are in the circle of their love, the weight of the world slips from your shoulders and you go from being someone who never feels heard to someone who doesn't have to say a word to be accepted and understood. And if you are lucky, there is laughter. A whole lot of laughter. (Next year we should ask Depends to be the official sponsor of Chicksmas).

Of course we're blurry, we were in a bar. From where we sat YOU were blurry too.
Let's see, there was a shopping, books, pizza, getting lost, forgetting to pick my sister at the airport (we got her, she only had to wait a little while and then we FED her and it's not like she would have been more pleasant if we'd been on time!) It was awesome. I am exhausted. And blessed, so very blessed. I love these women and know they love me.
I love that what was supposed to be a trip to Memphis to visit Graceland veered off course and landed much closer to 'home'.  That gave us a chance to surprise our Aunt Marge.  She had no idea we'd driven and flown in from all over because we wanted to honor and show our love to her.  She kept saying: "I can't believe y'all did this!" and "Y'all don't know how much this means to me" but in truth, I don't think she understood how much she means to us. It was, as my cousin Patje said "the heart of Chicksmas".

My cousin reading the label on the quilt (made by my sister in law) and Aunt Marge in the moment she realized my sister in law had made her a quilt of old shirts that had belonged to our late Uncle Dan (her husband of 60 years)
Formerly Naked Non-Smokin' Bingo Jerry - some things ya just hadda be there for.
How could we NOT go to pay homage to "The Big Women"? Even if it meant dashing across four lanes of traffic, laughing all the way.  They were clearly in a Chicksmas mood too!
Had imagined a brilliant, funny post about all the fun and adventures we had but instead have decided to a sign we found that Helen is thinking of making her personal motto.


Tomorrow the drive home, some time to reflect (IOW - sleep and try to flush all the margarita salt out of my system). Hope you all have a wonderful weekend as well.

Joining - Anything Goes at  Type A

15 comments:

  1. The picture of your Aunt Marge with the quilt brought tears to my eyes. I couldn't help thinking how touched I'd be if someone made me a gift like that using Carl's things. I know that will be one of her dearest treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. aaawww i have to repeat what the lady above said the photo of your Aunt Marge and story of the wonderful quilt brought tears to my eyes to and a lump in my throat. What a fanatasic and beautiful thing to do and such a loving memory for her and you all. Sounds like a wonderful time you are having. Enjoy it all, dee xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you all had a great time, and yep, lovin' that sign:@)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That quilt is the sweetest thing ever!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That quilt story is just wonderful. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a sweet story!!! I remember making my mom a quilt from scraps of double knit material from dresses and pantsuits we wore in the 60s-70s. She cried, too, but for a different reason, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, geez..I just got all teary-eyed when I saw your aunt with that quilt. That had to be one of the sweetest gestures ever by your sister-in-law! I could only imagine how your aunt felt to have that wonderful reminder of her husband. I am just all verklempt now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow that is a gorgeous quilt made of shirts.
    Those are the sort of quilts that mean MUCH MUCH MORE than ones made out of store bought fabric.

    My Great Grand Mother who passed on about 18 years or so ago used to make those sort of quilts. Apparently she would get so much into them she would also incorporate peoples undies! *LOL*
    My Grandma (Her daughter) Never really liked the quilts that much... And she thinks I am nuts when I go on and on about just how lovely they really were.

    I am glad you had such a fun time! I hope the fun continues all throughout this Holiday season.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful gift for your Aunt! Sounds like you all had a blast. If everyone has as wonderful a sense of humor as you I can imagine that you may have needed those depends.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dana - the sweetest thing was when she gathered the quilt up and hugged it and said when she used it she would feel loved.

    Dee - it was the best time ever.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks all!
    Great minds must think alike. When I told hubby about the quilt he wondered if she'd make one of his undies for me.
    We honestly laughed so hard, my side was still aching a day later.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful "moment in time" - all of it. And especially with your Auntie. You all gave her probably the most special gift she ever received - the gorgeous quilt of course - but mostly the giving of you all being there. Have a wonderful holiday Dear Helen, and thank you for all you give to us throughout the year.

    ~Vickie~

    ReplyDelete
  13. i just love this post,and totally cried, i'm such a wuss! lol that is so sweet, i wish i had a blanket made out of my grandpa's shirts for my grandma, that is amazing! xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sponge curlers - you're right. Aunt Marge was moved from the town where she had lived most of her life to a new town to this place so she often feels so isolated so all of us coming from all over just for her was a big deal.

    ReplyDelete

Loved To Have Their Own Say In Things Ones say:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...