Monday, January 9, 2012

Hunka Hunka Burn This Up

Dear Helen Hartman,
Am I ever All Shook Up!  I missed Elviss birthday and now I feel like a real Hound Dog.  Please dont stamp this Return to Sender and give me some ideas on how to pay homage to the King.

Dear Love Me Tender One,
This sounds like a job for Scarlett Loves Elvis. Asking Helen? You might as well book yourself a room in the Heartbreak Hotel.
As Dougie made is less than smooth come on, Virginia wondered if the Heartbreak Hotel had room service, which would be an improvement on the usual hotels where she went to be vastly disappointed.

Not everyone is a fan and even those who are fans are divided between younger Elvis and older Elvis, thin Elvis and fat Elvis and once you start arguing that, well, you know what happens.

Knock down drag outs?

Barry was warned if he kept dissing old Elivs he'd get his behind kicked so hard he'd be wearing his kilt as a collar but he couldn't help himself, he was young Elvis all the way.

No, Peanut butter and banana sandwiches get brought up.

Frankly, I'd find it surprising if you could keep Peanut Butter and Banana sandwiches DOWN.

And the next thing you know people are talking about how bad Southern food is for your health. It is true we do fry things in bacon fat and have some odd tastes in beverages. 

You liked my gravy? You're sweet to say so. Here, have another cup.

But we do it as we do all things, with charm and grace 

Thelma Rose Wesson-Hightower never left her pageant days behind her and took the things she learned in them on to everything she did. Here, she welcomes locals to the elementary school PTA bakesale.
And we use our best silver.
My silver? First Love.   My silver plate? Caroline.   My attitude? Superior.

Let me just share a page out of my mama’s favorite cookbook… and… just… oh, what fresh heck-in-a-jelly-jar is this? A Tomato-Buttermilk Cocktail?

Is that it in the corner? Maybe they didn't have the nerve to show it but the recipe is 4 oz tomato juice, 4 oz buttermilk, salt to taste. I'm guessing that means so much salt that it kills your sense of taste.

Honey, not even Elvis could defend that. It’s just a hunk a hunk a (heart)burning yuk.

All right, then, just because you missed the big birthday doesn’t mean you can’t celebrate the object of your obsession. Yes, obsession. What else would you call THIS?
Oh Elvis, you are a light unto my end table.
If you answered – AWESOME then you aren’t going to limit your love of the King to one day.
So put on your Blue Suede Shoes, grab yourself a cup of gravy, fry up a banana sammich and do the Jailhouse Rock. The King's birthday may have passed but some think he's still kicking, and you might be one of them if you saw what I just found. 


Tell me you don't see the resemblance.



Meet me at Metamorphosis Monday at Between Naps on the Porch
and Anything Goes at Type A

Recipe for Peanut Butter and Banana Sandwiches ala Helen 
I've read Elvis liked his banana's ripe and smooshed and spread on the bread and sometimes wanted bacon fat instead of butter. Viva Las Oy Vey!


White bread
Butter
Banana
cast iron skillet


Get your skillet nice and hot, no grease but what naturally occurs on cast iron from not washing it with soap and water.


Butter both sides of the white bread slices (yes, both sides. My whole life my mama buttered my PBJ white bread to make sure the peanut butter didn't tear a whole in the bread. I don't know why she buttered both sides of a grilled cheese bread slice - just do it, okay?).
Peanut butter lightly on both slices to hold things together.
Banana slices in between. Put them together and press, lightly. Fry lightly in the skillet. 
Place on lovely plate. Set out good silver and crystal. Give sandwich to the dog. Go out some place nice for lunch.

33 comments:

  1. A true Southern girl, I grew up on fried baloney, peanut butter and banana sandwiches and young Elvis movies. I've drunk plenty of buttermilk with salt, but I never added tomato juice. I guess there's at least one more thing to add to my bucket list...:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL Dana. I Have had a hard time convincing people in the Northern Wilderness and the Great Forsaken Flatlands that there is no ONE Southern experience. My mother did drink buttermilk with salt but we were white bread, butter and sugar or Tomato Sandwiches cut with a biscuit cutter types.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I might need to give the pb and banana sammie a whirl. My mom and I LOVED all of the young Elvis movies.

    We would eat my favorite chipped beef on toast mmmmm. Sometimes we would eat a hamburger patty and bread with white gravy. It seemed so delicious as a kid. I haven't had it in years. I may need to whip some up for my kids. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. As always - sooo entertaining!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jori - that sound like something my mom would have made. being military, my dad wasn't too keen on chipped beef on toast but my mom did make it sometimes.

    Thanks Nicole.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to say i don't see the likeness in the stone head so hopefully that means im not crazy. It has to be the young Elvis for me all the way what a dish he was back then. I will have to give those recipes a miss tho as much as i love peanut butter i like to eat it alone ;-)) dee xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Geez, I thought I might gag at the tomato-buttermilk cocktail till the lamp popped up - I lost it. Dearest Helen, be more kind in the future. And hey, you mean WE weren't the only kids that ate white bread & butter & sugar sandwiches?! I thought it was just because it was the day before payday or ma had to choose between the lights & food! Haha! But I do SO Love Me a Tender tomato sandwich - white or wheat, no matter ;- )

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Scarlett will be thrilled by this!
    The more I read vintage recipes the more I'm glad I live in the 21st Century. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Everyone has an aunt who worshiped "The King", and bought every tacky thing immaginable right! Right? Hey, ours could not have been the only one...I hope.

    ReplyDelete
  10. One of my best friends is a major Elvis fan. He has several "Velvet Elvis" pictures. When the hubby and I were in Memphis, we bought his new baby girl all kinds of Elvis clothing and he still has them (that was 12 years ago).

    ReplyDelete
  11. On my way to the store for bananas...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dee - the resemblance was the big collar and that he was looking like the lamp, not like the King :) I do think if Elvis was alive, he'd look pretty wild!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Vickie - my mom thought those butter and sugar were "healthier" than other snacks. Yummy healthy butter and sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Vix - honestly, I don't understand how people 30 years ago were thinner than today, they certainly ate some odd stuff.

    Aunts and if you are old enough -sisters. My older still liked Elvis when all her friends were going ga ga over those flash in the pans, The Beatles.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Diann - I thought velvet Elvises were limited to ONE per household.

    Karen - tell me how they turn out.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I always wanted to visit the South, although I'm going to politely refuse anything involving curdled buttermilk with pips, ta.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Skipping lunch was a bad idea and I'm just getting a chance to sneak a peek at your blog. Maybe I might need to give the pb and banana sandwich a try tomorrow morning.

    ReplyDelete
  18. PB and B, maybe...but NO WAY on the tomato and Buttermilk concoction... Double YUK...nastiness...

    My mommma was a nurse in Memphis and was called in to hold the hand of one "Sonny West", a facelift patient. Elvis, I mean Sonny, required a nurse to hold his hand 24/7 while he was in the Hospital...pretty funny, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lakota - I'd stay away from all buttermilk drinks if you visit.

    Kim - let me know if you like it. We will not be trying it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a fun story, Gwen. Did you Momma get a souvenir?

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am such a Super Midwesterner...just the thought of any of that gives me heartburn and heartache all in one! My husband admits to having eaten the butter & sugar sandwiches as a child. When I asked him about the Buttermilk & Tomato Juice Cocktail, though, he denied, denied, denied. Whatever! Where there's smoke, there's fire!!! TOO funny!!! You are a natural hoot-and-a-half!

    ReplyDelete
  22. You are sooooo funny. I laughed til I cried and that doesn't happen often.
    The funniest part of identifying with you, I had a peanut butter and banana sandwich for lunch. I don't grill them nor butter the bread but that is my lunch at least once a week.
    When I was a little girl, my Mom would blend the ripe banana and peanut butter together and make a spread for the sandwich. Still no butter. Boy, it was so good. After I married I had to start slicing the banana, the mashing grossed out my husband.
    Did you ever get into the discussion about whether to add sugar or salt and pepper to your grits? Growing up, my family used milk, butter and sugar. My husband grew up using butter, cheese, salt and pepper. Try this debate at a coctail party of snow birds and watch their eyes roll out of their heads.
    I am a new follower, Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful pics!!!i'm following you!!!if you like mine, do the same!!
    WWW.ZAGUFASHION.COM
    ZAGU FACEBOOK PAGE
    bloglovin follower

    ReplyDelete
  24. Alycia - it's true southerners love tomato juice and buttermilk but I've never seen them together. Honest. But it didn't surprise me.

    ReplyDelete
  25. LOL on the Grits - we were not a grit eating family. My mama didn't like them. We were cream o wheat eaters or rice. Mom loved to have rice as a cereal or with gravy. YUM. BUT many times my daddy and mama argued over what you're supposed to put salt on and what you supposed to put sugar on.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Too funny! I love Elvis every way...fat, skinny, young & old! Really enjoyed your twisted tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh, Helen, Helen, Helen! I heart you!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Swoooon!! I'd take him thin, fat,old, young or even bald and toothless! What a fabulous post and im now totally lusting over that amazing lamp! Kitsch-tastic!!!
    Got to love the southern cooking, i ate my way around memphis last time i was there (it would have been rude not to!). Wonderful post and thank you for the shout out. Big love as always S xx

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks Pam!


    Lynn - I heart you back but I never know which of your blogs to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  30. LOL Scarlett - I thought you'd like my 'tribute' to Elvis. Eating your way around Memphis - it's only the polite thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Young Elvis!! (and I love that your tags include Hartburn lol)
    Thanks so much for the comment yesterday I loved reading through your blog and am your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete

Loved To Have Their Own Say In Things Ones say:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...