Friday, January 20, 2012

Where are my Manners?

Well, well, well, look who is slinking back to her blogging duties just in time for Pink Saturday!

There was a moment of hesitation when Helen couldn't remember if she left food out for her guests. If she didn't, who would she hire to clear away the bodies?

Maybe instead of writing a blog on how to be a good guest someone should have done a little research on how to be a good hostess.

Eloise's was the hostess with the mostest. The mostest elaborate way of making herself the center of attention! Meanwhile her neighbors couldn't help grumbling that THIS was not what they had in mind when she told them she was a swinger.

Days have gone by and I've left you all unattended. Which reminds me, Helen will be doing a check of all luggage, handbags and maybe a few beehive hairdos before we all go off home for the weekend.

Good hair can cover a multitude of sins - and at least a couple of solid silver serving pieces.


I do apologize but will say in my defense that on Tuesday our area was hit with a wicked twister session.

No - the kind in the sky, not the left foot blue, right hand grabby kind.
We didn't have any damage but it did seem like the world went a little off kilter after that. Not so much so that I didn't get a little vintage shopping in, of course.  So as a good hostess let me show you around my newest additions. 

Estate sale find today - how cheery are these?

This has a last minute phone call to the florist and saying "I'll take whatever your special is for Secretary's Day" written all over it.
And what does my new desk have written all over IT?

And it was On Sale - $122, in super condition with the glass top in tact!


Anyone know what this cute little fella is? The tag says it's a typist's stand! I had to have it.
Not bad for a week where I saw 4 car accidents right after they happened - including three semi's that smooshed into each other and couldn't be separated and one in my street where a kid flipped his car and it was turtled between us and getting out (no injuries in any of them). This same week when I gained 3 pounds even though the rest of the household is loosing weight. When I made a big mistake in my bank account (no, not MORE money than I thought I had). And when I tugged on the terrier's chin whiskers to make him spit out what I thought was a rock - he opened his mouth and dropped a dead mouse in my hand!


I thought they were just a couple buddies enjoying the first snowfall. But NOoooo. They were plotting the great Mouse Caper.  You kill it. I'll smuggle it into the house in my mouth. Mom will FREAK.

 Have a wonderful weekend, don't be too jealous of my finds and please, put my grandmother's silver ladle back where you found it.

37 comments:

  1. Your new desk was a super find! Now I think I'm going to leave the computer and throw up a little about the mouse thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dana - I SHRIEKED! In fact, I screamed so loud, I stood on my porch and yelled "Mouse! It was a Mouse!" so nobody would be concerned.

      Delete
  2. WOWEEEEE! Your estate finds are simply fabulous. (I love the pyrex)
    The desk is gorgeous and I love the lamp you have behind it.

    HAPPY WEEKEND!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - they used a lamp like that in black on Pan Am! Didn't realize it until now but the photo doesn't show that the side is a bookshelf, so it's not just a chunk of desk.

      Delete
  3. Never a dull moment at Helen's place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it got dull around here, Helen would liven it up!

      Delete
  4. Beautiful pink! Love that last photo.

    My PINK is inviting you to come and see. Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool desk and I love fridgies of all sizes! I'm allowed to chuckle at the mouse, I don't even have a pet right now but the neighbor's cat keeps "gifting" me goodies under the picnic table. I found my mouse on New Year's Day, chose to look at it as a sign that 2012 would be a year of "abundance":@)
    PS-Glad no one got hurt in the accidents!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A dead mouse as a sign of abundance? Helen's household will be filled with a gracious plenty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic buy on the desk! But I love the refrigerator dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aren't they cute? I think if I'd just seen one sitting there I wouldn't have noticed them but the pink and blue? HADDA HAVE 'EM!

    ReplyDelete
  9. thank you thank you thank you for visiting my blog so I was then able to come visit yours....I can see why you like mine because you appear to be a bit crazy like me....
    I have become a follower ofcourse....I love how you write and that it sounds like you are just having fun...Hope to see you often...Oh, did you happen to see my Miss B's 2012 calendar?.....I actually have people that wait every year to see what she is going to be dressed as....
    Daughter is in the works with "B" dressing as the "Women of Bravo".....that should really be a good one....Have a great weekend....:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miss B is adorable. Can't wait to see the Women of Bravo... I think.

      Delete
  10. Hello Helen:
    Oh, we love your newly acquired desk. That has just gone straight to the top of our to steal list. Perhaps the secretary's stand is to balance a book or piece of writing which has to be copied by the touch typist...so very 1950s we think.

    We know that it is wrong to covet anything, but we really do feel that we could give that desk a loving and respectable home. We would even go out and learn shorthand if it were ours in order that we could play 'secretary' more authentically!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is quite officey or studentlike. I might have found one more mid century in style but nothing so well made. And it's that buttery shiny finish in perfect condition - not trying to taunt you with how lovely it is but... well, I do like it when people are envious of moi.

      I agree with the stand. It does look more like it should hold a book not be in an office.

      Delete
  11. You are so funny! Enjoyed visiting your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I always look forward to your zany posts! I hope you plan to put these in a book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure about these in a book but perhaps my OWN etiquette book, hmmm? That will show Amy V!

      Delete
  13. Funny stuff Helen! Love your Wakefield desk, great price too ~ woo hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Pam. I do love sitting at my desk and playing office. Now I need an intercom so I can pretend to ignore my boss!

    ReplyDelete
  15. ha ha ha ha ha ha love that last photo and caption made me laugh out loud ;-)) But im glad it sn't me he recieved the dead mouse. I hope next week is a calmer one for you.Love those casserole dishes. dee x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I still don't let that dog in with out a mouth check. He does seem to feel badly.

      Delete
  16. That desk just SCREAMS you!! It's perfectly PERFECT! Hopefully, your furry family members are off mouse patrol duty this week.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks Kim. I hope they are content with chew toys for a while!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh I adore the vintage images! Your estate sale finds are true little gems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - I just took a peek at your blog and it's wonderful. I'll be following for sure.

      Delete
  19. Dear Helen, Thanks for visiting my blog, I had to stop by and see yours...and I love it. Quick and witty humor, mixed with vintage furniture I love *and* Pyrex?! You can't go wrong with a formula like that! Now following you...I also have pretty much the same desk chair only mine has arms. Love the look of vintage industrial. Nice Hey Wake too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rachel. I love my chair but with arms? That would be even better.

      Delete
  20. Hi sweet Helen,

    Thank you very much for your cheerful comment on my post yesterday about my glee over soon having a basement of my own in the very near future. I really appreciate your visit and in turn loved seeing some of the seriously fantastic corners of your own home (and the treasures you fill them with!) in this great post.


    Wishing you a stellar week ahead, dear gal!
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jessica. I truly love your blog!

      Delete
  21. Aye those pyrex cute bowls are the best find.
    oh forgot to say I adorar the ducky's so much.
    besios

    ReplyDelete

Loved To Have Their Own Say In Things Ones say:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...