Friday, February 3, 2012

Team Work is Just Super

Dear Helen Hartman,
My hubby wants to have friends over for the Super Bowl. It’s about football, right? But then why is the food so important? Should I have party games to play during the commercial breaks? Who do I cheer for? My hubby won’t be any help. He is clueless about the stress of party planning and having people in our home. Sometimes I feel like he doesn't get me any more than I get football.  Maybe these are dumb questions but I’d love to know: How can I get this right when I feel like I’ve got it all wrong?

Dear Loved One,
Those kinds of questions are exactly why Helen is going to put this sign on her desk:

No Dumb Questions!

 Mindy's good shopping skills pale in comparison to her good aim when people annoy her with a question. Doubt it? Just try asking her why she wears her housecoat under her dress. Then duck.

That's not to say there are no dumb questions. I think it's clear: Don't waste Helen's time with them. I mean it.
Saying the Super Bowl is about Football is like saying Mommy’s Day Out is about getting errands run.


By the time she had her fourth child, Nora's happy dance at getting time away from her kids had turned into a real production number.

It is sooo much more. Helen, for example, participates in Super Bowl festivities primarily for the commercials and the food.


"There, that should get us through the first quarter."

You’d think with that in mind I’d have a long list of wonderful vintage recipes to share. But most of my cookbooks and booklets are from the 30s to the 50s, a time when party foods were a special treat and often time consuming and elegant.

The title says it all: It's 1953, party it up, then sit down. Then shut up and eat your whole chicken. In style!

The few I have from the 60s mostly hawk products that one can assemble without a lot of time or money.

I don't know where to start - canned spaghetti with black olives or canned beans with an egg on top?

















 

Without a lot of taste either, it seems.

 Of course their suggestions are not without merit:
They are so right - entertaining is so much more fun for me when I have some wine! Or maybe I'M more entertaining with wine. Either way, wine, beer = better. Thank you 1960s sensibilities.

As for that hubby being no help and clueless about your stress? Has Mr. Hartman committed bigamy… again

I swear, Suzie, yesterday I got all dolled up in my new pink print dress and welcomed your father into the kitchen and it was like he couldn't even see me! (Happy Pink Saturday!)

I love my hubby but… well, all this Super Bowl talk and the way my week has gone has me thinking lately about teams.

"That was me in my former life as Coach Heman.  Though I do miss those darling capri pants, I am happier now that I am no longer on team P P," said Hermione.

No, not sporting teams. The imaginary teams we find to help us accomplish goals that make ourselves and the world around us better. Some have familiar names – The Girl Scouts, PTA, The Chamber of Commerce…

The Lady's Social Betterment and Bongo Watusi Society

Some teams have no official names, but they are very real. Team – I’m here for you. Team – I believe in you. Team - You look like you need a hug, a laugh, a friend. 
Teams where what you have to give is welcomed and what you get is immeasurable.  

Teams that, when we are not a part of them, we feel it through every aspect of our lives. One of the best things people used to say about my Mom was “No matter how stupid you were being, even when she didn’t agree with you, you always felt like Maxine was on your side”. 

Mom and me - she was on my side and always in my thoughts. I still have this hair cut, btw, not even a team of stylists could do anything better with me.

What has that got to do with the Super Bowl?

Go Super Bowl! We are too nice choose sides but we are proud to be reliable athletic supporters.
I spent most of this week trying to come up with a Super Bowl angle. So many bad puns about bowls and bowling…

I started collecting bowling trophies for party prizes. The party came and went, yet I STILL have the trophies. How could THAT have happened? What do you mean I probably hid the trophies for the party so I could keep them? You don't know that. You don't even know it took me two days to FIND them again.

My brain is mush but when I sit to write a post, my heart is full. And sometimes I sit so long my butt goes tingly then numb.

At my age, not all together an unpleasant sensation!
So no matter what you do this weekend, be a team player, be on someone's side. I know someone is on yours.
You are not alone. Somebody is thinking of you today and smiling (and not just because they think you dress funny). They really wish you well because... because... because, well, YOU'RE SUPER!

And remember – Helen is cheering for YOU!

Marla  always wore that red romper under her clothes just in case someone needed her to act as a personal cheerleaders... or a can't miss goal post.

33 comments:

  1. So many fabulous pics in this post, but my favorite is the one with you pushing your doll stroller. Go team!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim! Its my proof I was, uh, am a natural blonde!

      Delete
  2. HPS!

    Probably the best post of this Pink Saturday!
    It's my first visit to your blog and I will sure be back!


    Gabriela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much - loved my visit to your blog as well.

      Delete
  3. I'm all about the team, really...but my eyes keep darting back to those pork and beans with the frightening fried egg on top. I'm afraid the distraction is keeping me from my teamly duties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's like an eye, following you around the room, isn't it? What were they thinking?

      Delete
  4. Yes, how about those dishes - actually just had baked beans last night and forgot to top them with an egg. Next time I'll know better. You've quite possibly saved me from future meal disasters, thank you!

    Love the pic of you and your Mom. Cute!

    Have a great weekend,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to be helpful. Maybe we should change the name from Pork and Beans to Poach and Beans.

      Delete
  5. That settles it... I'm off to join the The Lady's Social Betterment and Bongo Watusi Society! Have a great weekend:@)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its the responsible thing to do! Our motto: Making the world better one jerk at a time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ps - I now feel compelled to point out to anyone too young that the watusi and the jerk were dances. Kinda.

      Delete
  7. You made me laugh and smile again! Love stopping by!
    Happy Pink Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Pink Saturday to you, too. I always love visiting your blog too.

      Delete
  8. Very entertaining!

    Have a beautiful pink Saturday, enjoy!

    Pink Cupcakes

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pink cupcakes? Can't wait to see them this Pink Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much for visiting my Blog yesterday!! It's always wonderful to see a new face!

    I truly am enjoying ready your Blog and LOVE the old photos!!

    Cheers!
    LuLu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting back. Cheers to you as well.

      Delete
  11. What a great blog piece I really love all of the vintage images, where did that time go!!! Maureen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like chocolate goes to the hips, time, I think, goes to the face! Your blog is lovely - happy pink Saturday.

      Delete
  12. I so enjoyed this post. The pics were great and you are so funny. Thanks again for stopping by and visiting me at www.budgetfriendlydecorating.com!!
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting back I will definitely be back to check out your blog again.

      Delete
  13. Oh, I wish I could be funny like you and as wise as you are. I just very recently found your blog and it makes my day when I read your witty words. I love the way you are able to slip in something profound in amongst the wit and bring it all home so cohesively. It takes a special talent to have a blog like yours. Thanks for all the smiles you are responsible for!!------ Shannon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, Shanon, you are so kind to say that. Your blog is always a delight. So glad you stopped by.

      Delete
  14. You have outdone yourself with this Post, Dear Helen. I wish I could say something witty and clever, but I just feel thoughtful and introspective after reading it. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks, Gwen. I wish I could claim some special insight other than having lived long enough to know that everyone needs someone to cheer them on now and then.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have been told there are no numb questions. I seem to have too many. Just like this Google thing. I have no idea what is going to happen or what I should do if anything.

    ReplyDelete
  17. LOL. I have a lot of dumb questions. Google gets up to so much stuff I don't understand I'm never sure what I should do until it happens and someone kind guides me out of the mists!

    ReplyDelete
  18. sometimes i read your posts and i don't know what to say today is one of them but i mean it in a good way ;-)) I have to say i hate football i just don't get it, send them to the pub with all their friends and you can have your girly friends over to eat a home made cake and drink tea lovely and simple ;-)) Ok i did have something to say ;-))dee x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL dee - Now that I've finished eating and the advertisements are proving a bust (IMHO) I do wish I had girlfriends and cake instead!

      Delete
  19. what a great blog you have here, i love it!! & about this post..well I'm just soooo glad my hubby hates football as much as I do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am green with envy - over the lack of football and how adorable your blog is!

      Delete
  20. Good Lord, woman, I don't know where you found all those crazy pictures, but your captions cracked me up. Also? I like how you "tackle" football, and still come out with a positive, inspiring message. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks! I know there is a goat pun I could use here but then I realized you'd probably heard them all so will just say thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Loved To Have Their Own Say In Things Ones say:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...