Monday, April 23, 2012

It Ain't Braggin' if it's Fact

Dear Helen Hartman,
Whenever I find a terrific bargain or tattered treasure I can’t wait to share it online. My boyfriend says that I am just bragging and that’s plain rude. I argued that I am never PLAIN anything. Love to know what you think.

Dear Loved One,
What do I think? I think you need to make yourself a T-shirt that says this:

My boyfriend sometimes says stupid things. The rest of the time his mouth is full
 
I like your response. If one must be rude, and let’s face it, these days one sometimes MUST, one should never be plain rude.

One's behavior should be like one's cooking - substantial enough to do the job, scary enough that nobody bothers you for seconds.

Of course it’s wise to know the line between sharing with your friends and showing off.  

Look, if you are a dreamboat first class, you can't help but show off.

Would it be rude, for example, for Helen to casually mention that she struck junking gold this weekend everywhere she went?



Of course not. No more so than that it would be rude for her to hijack the reply to your question to talk about all the amazing things she found this weekend. It’s Helen’s blog, after all. And as your astute boyfriend has already pointed out, you are forever going on about your finds. Yes, I know I wasn't generous towards him earlier but now that I take another look...

I Love you Helen. You're a real doll. Get it? A doll? Hahahaha. Let's play dress up!
 
 He's kind of an adorable doofus, right? Just keep feeding him. 
Still, I can’t help being excited about my finds this week because I've been in a real junk funk around here. And then THIS... ahhhhh-ahhhh-ahhhhhhh (imagine angels singing - Okay, if you just can't make the leap of Helen and angels then how about the Ozzie, Harriet and the Nelson boys?)

Before there were the Kardashians, people had THIS family to show 'reality' to them

 Behold the power of KITSCH:

Paid a bit too much for the poodle but she is flawless and the shelf was practically free.

Can't resist a cool container (anyone else?) especially one with fun things in it. That little green tackle box had some old rulers from local businesses (which hubby grabbed for his office immediately) and a small envelope containing these four snips from a film strip:


Yep, that's Gene Wilder with Harrison Ford in The Frisco Kid:


And in Blazing Saddles:


How fun is that? We've gotten a weekend's worth of fun speculating WHY someone would have clipped these and stored them in a tackle box (that had clearly NEVER been used for fishing or much of anything).

All that leads me back to the question - is it rude to post your finds online? 
Helen rules: Keep on showing off your treasures! You know there's someone out there who finds them as fun and fabulous as you do!


Side note - is this the creepiest 'Chap Stick' ad ever? I mean, the leering, the ' ' around Chap Stick. If that wasn't rude then, baby, you aren't either!

Joining Metamorphosis Monday even though I only really paired the poodle and shelf - that's as creative as I get some weeks!
Sharing the Love Wednesday at Very Merry Vintage Style

37 comments:

  1. Hello Helen:
    How bereft we should all be if you did not show off all of your finds. Indeed to be deprived of seeing the pink poodle would be so cruel. And, worry not about the price, too much or too little, for it brings such wonderful vulgarity into the lives of your adoring public of Followers at the start of yet another week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - I adore the idea of spreading wonderful vulgarity. I will try to live up to the challenge!

      Delete
  2. Agreed! Some call it showing off but that's probably sour grapes. Look at all of the bloggers out there with truckloads of readers who adore seeing all of their amazing finds. When people show off online, it causes the rest of us to keep our eyes peeled for similar treasures and to always look for beauty in another man's junk. I love seeing girls in their gorgeous vintage outfits and amazing retro houses because it inspires me to bring more of what I love into my own world. Keep showing off!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brittany. Me too. I LOVE seeing the finds because they are fun and they give me something to start looking for! Besides, if the internet wasn't invented for showing off, I don't know WHAT it was invented for!

      Delete
  3. There is a great line in Sleepless in Seattle about 'the perfect blend of poetry and meanness' that addresses the need for WHY sometimes, when necessary we MUST be rude, in a very nice way of course. Love the Ozzie and Harriet, Ricky and David picture!

    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. Also what was once rude is now common place so it's hard to tell sometimes. I loved the Nelsons, that Ozzie.

      Delete
  4. My favorite blogs are the ones that show off their latest vintage treasures/hauls. You did score well. Good for you (and I mean it)!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Me too - I am such a looky-loo! There is just too much good stuff out there to have it all but I sure do like seeing it.

      Delete
  5. Great finds, Helen! I always feel like it's boasting when I post finds online but I LOVE it when everyone else does. So, I try to convince myself that people feel the same way when I post stuff. That they enjoy it. Maybe I need a therapist or a flow chart. One thing's for sure. I'm not getting anywhere near those Chap Stick guys. Cr-eepy! I'm just now wondering what the name "Chap Stick" even means. I guess it means a stick of balm for chapped lips. Not something vulgar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - my mind went right there with ya on the Chap Stick creepy guys! I love your finds, btw. It's so fun to see what all is out there.

      Delete
  6. Oh my - im in love with your poodle ;o) - its a beauty! I also also terrified of that clown banana man, its enough to give any one nightmares (storing it away for the next childrens party lol!) Scarlett x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose they thought it would make eating fruit FUN but really, it makes people want to eat junk food forever! I love the poodle too - such a sweet face.

      Delete
  7. i think that sometimes too when i post my finds, but then i get the most views and comments on my find posts so i know other people love them, just as much as i love seeing what everyone else finds! it will never get old to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharing is the whole reason for blogging, right? Happy Birthday, Rae!

      Delete
  8. Trying to find my oxygen mask.....laughing...taking up...all...air!!!!!!!! Really good one again this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope I never need oxygen because I'd never find the mask in all my junk.

      Delete
  9. Well, I am certainly relieved that you find it OK to brag about our finds online because my whole blog is based on just that!!! Love your pink poodle! And I would have bought that awesome tackle box even without the film clips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too - so it was so much fun to find that little weird surprise. I love to ponder about the things people save.

      Delete
  10. LOL..show off! Brag!! stand up and shout "na na na na..."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's do it together. Then it won't be bragging it will be team building!

      Delete
  11. I say "brag all you want and be proud of it." The rules say that we must share our finds with our junkin' sistas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. We're only abiding by the rules of junk lovin' sisters.

      Delete
  12. Ya just gotta show so we know what we missed out on:@)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or what we can be on the look out for. I never know what I need until someone else has one!

      Delete
  13. Well now I never thought of it as rude does that mean I am one rude chick?
    show off I say! Be proud of your junk! show it off!
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, not rude, you're proud of you junk finding skills. To not share would be rude.

      Delete
  14. I agree that we should all keep posting our finds. That's a huge part of the fun of blogging about vintage items.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! And learning, Dana, I learn so much from your blog it makes me a better blogger and junker.

      Delete
  15. I think it is encouraging to see what great deals others got!! !Inspires me...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It inspires me to find out where some people live and go and swipe what they found. now THAT's probably rude!

      Delete
  16. Lovin' that little poodle! What an adorable face on it. Thanks for linking up to Share the Love Wednesday
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  17. If you've got it, make sure everybody knows it... I'm freaking out that you found those clips... those are PRICELESS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know finding stuff inside stuff has become like the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow in our house, even if it's goofy stuff.

      Delete
  18. Dear Helen...YOU are PRICELESS! Thanks for the laughs this morning. The finds are fabulous - and GENE WILDER IN A TACKLEBOX - holy cow! I went antiquing last week, and had a red tacklebox in my hands, but all that was inside was dried salmon eggs. Keep on with the show and tell - if ya' got it, flaunt it! Happy Hump Day, Helen...Tanya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mighta passed on the dried salmon eggs. But red - that's awfully tempting.

      Delete
  19. Good deal on the pink poodle, I don't care what you paid for it! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Loved To Have Their Own Say In Things Ones say:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...