Thursday, April 12, 2012

Up, Up and Oh Wait!

Dear Helen Hartman,
When you were a kid did people ever ask you “What do you want to be when you grow up?” I bet they did and what I’d love to know is this: Didja ‘be’ it?

Dear Loved To Know One,
No. When Helen was little people thought they knew what she was going to be when she grew up.

"So then the cop says: 'You need to blow into this, lady'. And Helen says: 'You don't blow into that, chump, it's an accordion."   Then things got ugly."
Drunk and disorderly?

No, a wife and mother. So as far as that is concerned, yes, I did be and continue to be it. Ever the rebel, as young as 8 I wanted to be a writer. I be’d that also. (I didn’t say I was a good writer)

But if anyone ever asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up they have long ago stopped. Of course that could be because people took one look at Helen and realized she was never gonna grow up so they didn’t even bother.


The funny thing is that despite that, this is a question Helen continues to ask HERSELF all the time. What do I want to be when I grow up?

A Cocktail Party to Cocktail Party Vacuum Cleaner Sales Lady? (Will shake my canister for Harvey Wallbangers!)

That may be a bit too grown up. I thought for a moment that it might be easier to relate to if I took away the word ‘up’ and added something more apropos to the end of that question. 

Typical suburban housewife. Age 32. Who said being a wife and mom isn't work? It definitely ages a gal.
You mean you should ask what do I want to be when I grow… a mustache?

Nope.  We’re not messing with perfection (and I am not talking about my upper lip here) 

Yes, that's right. You were born wrong. Paint yourself on some decent lips and make sure to turn the corners up. Smile, baby!

If you think of it, UP is a perfectly good direction for any human being reaching for a dream to go. 

Oh that Lois! What a dreamer. A fancy washing machine AND a new blonde hairdo? If only...

Okay, let's fast forward to 1969. Things had changed plenty by then, right?

Hold down your little feelings, ladies. If you don't how can you ever find the time to feel superior to 'women who work' and chasing after your hubby so you will BOTH be successful? Really 1969? That's the best you got?

We have come a long way from a time when women’s expectations were laid out for them to a time when we realized that we can create our own expectations, and then exceed them!

So I ditched the Debbie Downers who thought that was lame, hit the web and became a big time mommy blogger!

Blogging has done this for me. Sharing the vintage things I adore has done this for me. 

Sweet child holding a bunny sent from my cousin Patje and her (his?) friend - just right for the topic at hand - a lady Suffragette!

Being able to laugh at the things that make me crazy...

"I think she talking about you, dear." "Me? Laughable? Hardly! I believe she's talking about you." Helen: I'm talking about ALL of you, and your ridiculously oversized fridge, too! Sheesh, all that giant food and nothing on the table. What a bunch of maroons.

...has done this for me. And the best part is I feel like there is still so much to learn, so many ways to grow!

So Helen is turning the tables and asking you, Loved Ones: What did you want to be when you grew up? Didja do it? If not, it's not too late! 

The good news is that you don't have to just pick one thing. You can do or be whatever you set your heart on. As long as you never stop growing, up is the only way to go!


Next stop - no telling! I mean, literally, they are on a rocket. There is no telling where they will land but she will look adorable!

Have a Great Weekend!

24 comments:

  1. Hello Helen:
    We are the proverbial Peter and Wendy so our intentions are never to grow up at all. Really, it is the safest way since when one is thought to be an adult, all manner of hideous responsibilities are put upon one. So, onwards, definitely........but not growing up!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you! I'll never grow up, never grow up, not Jane and Lance!

      Delete
  2. I am your newest follower love your blog.
    I wanted to be a teacher no I am one, I married one and spawned one. I guess that is as close as I will come. I do work with the handicapped so maybe that counts. I do want a frig that big though that could be my new dream. I have lots of ideas on what to put in it.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Big fridge is a dream, right? But what if one of those eggs fell on ya? Welcome to my blog. I just ran over and read yours and became an instant follower - I'd say you're teaching plenty in all you do!

      Delete
  3. Well you see Helen, the 'maroons' sitting at the table were trying to cool down. In the good ol' days they didn't have air conditioners so they bought really big refrigerators and fans.

    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brilliant.But why did they need that Giant fridge? I'm still laughing at them.

      Delete
  4. When I was a kid, I wrote short stories all the time. When I got into high school and was in Eunice Hart's English class, I decided I wanted to be a teacher just like her. I taught English for 27 years, and I hope I was even half as good a teacher as she was. For three years, I was a librarian, and now I get to write to my heart's content on my blog. I'm still a kid at heart, but I've had a lot of fun pretending to be a grown up all these years! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So cool Dana! Now I know why you write such interesting and informative posts.Yes, stay a kid at heart. That way no one can pin anything on you because you can always say "Hey, don't pick on me, I'm just a kid!"

      Delete
  5. When I was 12 I thought I might want to be a nun. I think that's hysterical now! By age 18, I was thinkin' more like maybe a go-go-dancer (dating myself here!). Many, many years later and several boring office jobs behind me, I want to have a little resale shop. Maybe next year?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or maybe an etsy shop? Go Go Nun is always an option.

      Delete
  6. fun post!!
    love the sketches!

    ReplyDelete
  7. No I never did become a ventriloquist..... *lol*
    But if I ever do come across a dummy for a good price... you just never know..
    =P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see those ventriloquist dummies all the time - they scare me. But I'm sure you'd do a darling act.

      Delete
  8. Hubby and I are still laughing at the giant fridge and the happy people with nothing to eat! I wanted to be a social worker when I grew up....you know I'm not sure anyone has ever asked me that question. Should I start another blog and be one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - I know, no one really did ever ask me. I was a social worker, too. Yes, solving problems is easy, just never take on anything you don't already have an answer for.

      Delete
    2. I'll have to remember that! Now that I'm older...I think I have ALL of the answers! heehee!

      Delete
  9. Oh, I always thought I had to pick one thing, so I picked the thing that everyone else around me thought I should... now I know better...and am happier. And I'm me. Suck it, 1969...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, take that 1969. You thought you were so smart but you're history and we're still kicking!

      Delete
  10. aww loved this post - i dont think i'll ever "grow up" either ;o) I wanted to be a hairdresser when i was little (i blame the girls world head. I do think the people in my town are breathing a sigh of relief that i never went on to follow that dream lol Scarlett x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - they didn't want to have an Elvis pompadour?

      Delete
  11. When I was in "junior high", I would lay in bed and look through the pattern books and think of all the clothes I could design. I did go to college and majored in fashion design. While I was there, I had to take a class in some sort of human development. The class I took was by a woman who was a therapist and I thought that would be fun too. That thought never left me and 20 years later, I went back to school and pursued that dream. My passion is helping women and encouraging them. I wanted to be a doll maker too, but I think that is a no go. For now, I create in my (what) spare time, counsel, am in the jewelry business and blog. Does "shopping" fit into the "what I want to be when I grow up" category because I'm very good at it. But, I have to say, of all the things I do, I enjoy(ed) being a mom the most!
    xo
    Holly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holly, what a wonderful, inspiring story! It's so cool that you pursued your dream. Who knows, one day you may add doll maker, too!

      Delete
  12. Fun post! I wanted to be Mary Tyler Moore. Be a business woman, live in my own cool apartment and date awesome guys and NOT get married! Well, I did all the above until 36 yrs old then Troy screwed up that last part! LOL Thank you for sharing with us at TTF and have a terrific day!

    ReplyDelete

Loved To Have Their Own Say In Things Ones say:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...