Monday, May 21, 2012

Hoarder? I Hardly Know 'er.

Dear Loved Ones,
Helen officially declares her recent JUNK FUNK ended.  The last couple of weeks I've had some really fun finds and with Yard Sale and Flea Market season now upon us I thought I better take a break from solving everyone's problems to confess one of my own.


Helen is the original 50 foot woman?  Helen's head is so 'large' it eclipses her body? What/ What?


Here it is: I have too much stuff. And I keep buying more.


Yard sale haul from the World's Longest Yard Sale 2 years ago.

And I live in a WORLD of enablers - all those people out there who are getting rid of just the kinds of things I want to have for myself! (from this point on these are all my April and May of this year finds, btw)


No, I don't smoke. But I am from Enid, Ok, home of Vance Air Force Base. My dad retired there - so it's the base I most associate with. When THIS turned up in a junk shop in Jeffersontown KY last week - how could I NOT buy it?


Every now and then I do have the sense that I have enough.


Enough of THESE? NEVER!


But then the weekend comes, I've made a trip to Goodwill to clear out some things and... how could one more of these hurt?






It's not that my house is overrun.  I pack things away and rotate them seasonally. Or I MEAN to. Right now I've never redone the shelves left empy after I took down Christmas! Sometimes that makes me feel like I'm not really enjoying my finds the way I'd like. You ever feel that way?


 
 I fear bobby pin basket girl is judging me for not putting her on display. You can see the disappointment in her face.


Why do we keep buying? I believe with all my heart that in order for us to decide to invest our time, money, emotions or space in something it MUST have a STORY. Sometimes it's the story that comes attached to the object:


This very nice man was sitting by the side of the road carving stuff and selling it cheap. He needed the $ and I had some that day so this 'little' guy (okay he's the size of a 2 year old) had to come home with me.


Sometimes it's the story we tell ourselves


Some day I am going to have a super neat-o coolio retro rec-room bar and this 1990 martini light will be perfect to light the way.
I am not crazy about the image on this TV tray BUT the colors are perfect to turn it into a table to sit beside our hammock. Yes, I am telling myself I will MAKE something with this. One day. If I ever get out of the hammock.


Sometimes it's the history we see (real or imagined) in an object from another era.


You may see this tray in a tablescape one day - the stack of small serving trays are that translucent fibre glass type material. No idea what I will do with them, but can't you just imagine them having been used for kid's parties or lunches on the patio?


Sometimes it's just the thrill of the hunt and the chance to retell the tale of how I bagged what other's called unbaggable!


Impromptu entertainment at the Flea Off Market downtown Louisville, prime hunting grounds once a month.


Sigh. I feel better now that I've unburdened my dirty little secret. I Have too much stuff, I often worry that I am not displaying and using it as I should. And yet, next weekend I will go look for some more. 


I know YOU know what I'm talking about. 



42 comments:

  1. A hoarder does not sell their things, therefore if you were to sell ME that martini lamp you would not be considered a hoarder (that's my excuse anyway). Problem solved! I want that lamp!!! :- )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - I bought it thinking it was just a decoration and found out later the olive lit up!!

      Delete
  2. Little hair pin girl can come stay with me, then I'd smile. I love yard sales but try not to overdo it.

    Have a great day ~
    TTFN ~
    Marydon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marydon - isn't she sweet? I'm afraid to put her on my bedside table for fear I'd knock her off and her scarf or ponytail would be history!

      Delete
  3. BTW - ALL your finds were FANTASTIC, You are officially enabled & entitled

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - I think of that every time I see a post about what people find - oh, they are the BEST treasure hunter in the world. Maybe it's a bit of wanting what is out of our reach (btw if anyone reaches for my finds, they may get a jab with a giant martini toothpick)

      Delete
  4. Hello Helen:
    Well, of course, we recognised you as a fellow Maximalist the instant we caught sight of your blog. Every blog post stacked to the gunnels with this and that and more this and that, we knew that we should instantly be best friends. We have just one question...."can you get through the door"? If the answer is in the affirmative, then just carry on shopping, China needs you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the encouragement (my hubby is less happy about it) Not only can I get through the door, we host the family parties because we have to most room (oh and I don't really care if kids touch stuff - my house is for living in). So that means I can shop for years and years to come, right?

      Delete
  5. You must remember Helen, a hoarder does not recognize herself as a hoarder. You are not in denial, I am not in denial, we know about these "issues." You do not want to rush these things. Fear not, the grand plan for your vintage hoard (I mean collection) will one day be a reality and Miss Bobby will have a smile on her face.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I tell myself I will try my hand at etsy one day. If not, the kids will have an estate sale to end all estate sales one day. Let's just keep telling ourselves - we are not hoarders, we're collectors.

      Delete
  6. You've found some fun things...I love the little hairpin girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - it was a good few weeks after a long stretch of nuthin'

      Delete
  7. Set "sad bobbypin girl" under the KICKIN' martini light - she'll be fine. I've seen that show, 'Hoarders' (along with my other secret obsession, 'Intervention'). You, a hoarder? I think not! I would have bought the ashtray, too - Happy Monday, Helen! Your finds ROCK!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! OMG you have an idea there - what if sad bobbypin girl becomes wistful cocktail toothpick holding girl? See, it's not hoarding when it serves a purpose.

      Delete
  8. Oh yes, I know. I sure do. The fun for me isn't really in owning things - but in the thrill of the hunt and find. That said, I wish I weren't too lazy to get rid of stuff. That would make more room for the hunt and find!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ain't it the truth? But the hunt is so fun and I keep telling my hubby it could be worse, I could be the kind who wants diamonds instead of kitsch!

      Delete
  9. I hear you. Like Eartha says, it's the thrill of the hunt rather than the acquisition of anything new. We're addicts. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you keep at it, because you find the coolest stuff!

      Delete
  10. I have too much stuff also, but I can't seem to stop! All these people getting rid of such treasures and I feel obligated to give them homes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Have you ever bought something not because you had to have it but because you knew somebody else would do something awful like paint it or give to a kid as a toy or tear off the logo and trash the rest? It's a sacred duty to save those things.

      Delete
  11. I have been wondering the same thing myself - what am I really looking for when I am commando thrift shopping? Am I trying to re-create a past long gone, recapture my 60's childhood? Maybe it is just as simple as hunting and gathering ... here is a link to my recent post on that:

    http://thriftshopcommando.blogspot.com/2012/05/eat-sleep-hunt-repeat.html

    I do subscribe to the "One Bag In, One Bag Out" rule so I don't tip into hoarder territory.

    Cheers! thriftshopcommando.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait to read your take on it all. The why to me comes down to style. Too many objects today lack style. I do try to use MOSt of my finds at some point. One bag in, one bag out is a good rule.

      Delete
  12. My grandmother used to have a ton of those church fans. I had forgotten how miserably hot those days before a/c could be, especially for a kid all dressed up in frilly dress she hated.

    Before we opened the store, all I could think about was my next Craigslist or eBay purchase. Now I live vicariously through my SIL's finds...or buying smalls for the store that I don't bring home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have often wondered if I could do that, catch and release as it were!

      Delete
  13. Oh my gosh! Fun Post! I can hear the bluegrass pickers! "Rollin' in my sweet baby's arms..." I change out my collections on a monthly basis! It's the only way I can validate going thrifting twice a week and to the flea markets! I love looking at the stuff! I love finding things that evoke memories! The ashtray is perfect to help you remember Dad! My son is in the USAF too, he is stationed at Hickman now. I saw a Mom & Dad pillow topper over the weekend from Lackland AFB where he was in Basic Training. Oh, how I wanted to buy it! But, I'm laid off since Jan. and absolutely watching my spending. I go thrifting to LOOK! Of course, I'll kick myself over not spending $ 5.00 when I find a job and never see one of those Lackland AFB toppers again! Hee hee!

    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gonna lay around this shack until the mail train come back, rollin' in my sweet baby's arms. Pickin' and grinnin'! It's the things we don't buy that haunt us, right?

      Delete
  14. Oh my Heavens!
    You scored such great stuff. A couple of my faves would be the carved wood bear *He's SO CUTE* The Martini glass with the light up pimento *I AM SO JELOUS, I LOVE OLIVES*
    Those little steak guys are awesome.

    I too have TOO much stuff.... but obviously you can see it doesn't bother me too much as I have already started my garage sale list for Saturday (I actually started it yesterday) *lol*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, you shop with a LIST? Oh my! I just shop with wild abandon and cash. If I don't have the cash, I do without. Usually.

      Delete
  15. There is just WAY too much fun stuff out there!!!! You have found cool stuff! I can't resist roadside vendors either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's right - the world is too full of fun stuff NOT to go out hunting it down!

      Delete
  16. I was totally on your side and sticking up for you until you got to that big ol' carved wood bear...that's when I had to take the side of the men from the Rubber Room! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww. He always says nice things about YOU! Bwahahahaha. You mean you don't believe he talks to me?

      Delete
  17. I heard another name for those of us "collectors". She called her daughter an "accumulater." I rather like that - in case I need a new word. I am not, I repeat, I am not a hoarder. Accumulaters unite! Love the stash! Don't you just love garage sale season?! It's Spring, Garage sale, Winter and Fall!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Accumulators unite - so you can try to get each other's stuff! I like to think of myself as a cultural archivist... or should that be kistcheral archivist?

      Delete
  18. Ok, those meat pics are great! Never knew they even made such things. And yep, the martini light will be cool in your new bar. Do I need more? Nope. Do I keep looking? You betcha! It's what we do:@)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it IS what we do, we can't help it! The meat pics were from an estate sale - I fell in love with them, even though I don't eat meat.... yes, I see it now. It IS a sickness.

      Delete
  19. You are my sister by another mother! I am trying SO HARD to BE GOOD. Wish me luck- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By good do you mean finding only the best stuff and buying lots of it? Because that's an idea I can get behind!

      Delete
  20. "Hi Helen"....oh wait a minute...we aren't at a Junk Hoarder Anonymous meeting?? Our bad....and we are soooooo bad! It's good to be in "good" company, don't you think Annie?!! Great post!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think we can hold meetings - because whoever didn't show up would be suspected of being out garage sale-ing!

      Delete

Loved To Have Their Own Say In Things Ones say:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...