Tuesday, May 29, 2012

THIS is Color!

Dear Loved Ones,
Like it or not (does anyone ever say that when they LIKE it?) it's time for Helen to report for doody. No that's NOT a mistake. I have a deadline coming up and if I miss it, the you know what is going to hit the fan.


Do you realize how much that would drop to resale value of said fan?  Helen  shudders to think!


So I've decided to make things easier on myself.

Yes, that is how I usually do things. This time I'm just owning up to it.


And I am going to spout off about something that has been bothering me for more than a week by posting an open letter to one of my favorite magazines (I am in no way associated with them, not promoting anything,) and sharing loads of pics (which is the real point of it, tons of photos that I want to share) this week. The subject is color and I want to encourage anyone reading to participate. If you have a particularly colorful post - 


Bowlene would like to remind you that colorful does NOT mean being a potty mouth.  Don't make her use those meaty manhands to delete your comment
feel free to put the link in a comment so we can all see. None of this, please.


Spamwich, I get but Spam Birds? I am repulsed and a little bit sad that anyone thought that was good to say, much less eat.


Thanks! Now here is my open letter to COUNTRY LIVING magazine


Dear Country Living,
I LOVE your magazine. I pour over every page.


And I am not just talking about serving myself  from my infamous Thermos-O-Gin 


I hang onto copies until they are so tattered I am forced to relinquish them. I follow you on Facebook and visit your website. I mean it, I love you... BUT


There is always but with Helen, isn't there?


...about that 'color' issue.  While the piece on decorating with carnival collectibles had me green with envy at the fab finds and I was tickled pink over your featuring the incomparable  The Glamorous Housewife, I couldn't help thinking there was something missing from your issue about using color. 


I'd call it an OUT of control kitchen.
COLOR!


Pops of sun-mellowed yellows, mintified greens and vivid blues against white washed and bare wood backdrops are absolutely lovely.  But, dear Country Living   -


Helen's actual Basement wall




My Living room looked a teeny bit less lived in than usual






My bedside table NEVER looks this uncluttered - where is that control lady when I need her?



Stained glass window decor in my kitchen and in my son's bedroom - done by talented hubby .



THIS is COLOR!


And that's just getting started  - more colorful pics from around Chez Hartman to come... meantime, share a link in your comment if you want to fly your own shining colors.


joining Wow Us Wednesday.

29 comments:

  1. Well, I must say, I think you are the poster girl for color! I am inspired and invigorated just looking at your color choices - so friendly and alive! May have to make a trip downtown to pick up some new paint. :)

    Have a lovely week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to stay away from paint stores... except I need to paint my door. AGAIN.

      Delete
  2. Hello Helen:
    And, here are we, boring and conventional Mr and Mrs 'Lime White' literally in the pale next to your all guns blazing, all fruits in the fruit bowl zinging, all colours of the rainbow home. How dull we feel ourselves to be, really only one step up from being 'Greige all over'. Well, we have taken notes and shall follow this series with interest, a magnifying glass and sunglasses. There are going to be some major changes at Chez Hattatt. Can we come and stay for a week with you, our design notebooks in hand, in order to really 'feel the vibe'?!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. C'mon over. Of course, any 'vibe' you feel might be the buzz of the electric fence that keeps people out! (not really, it's a wooden fence but it has a terrier inside who will sink his teeth in and shake). The house doesn't really look like a rainbow. The house has loads of windows so there isn't a lot of wall space, but what there is...

      Delete
  3. Wow I love your color! I like some color but guess I'm a tad more subdued!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I swear, my house doesn't look like a circus :) Or maybe it does....hmmm.

      Delete
  4. I have tons of red, orange, turquoise and chartreuse in my house. I see homes in magazines that are icy white and gray, and they're so sophisticated and beautiful, but I'm not sure I could be as happy in that environment as I am when I'm surrounded by color. It lifts my spirits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOW what you mean. We moved 13x in the first 20yrs of out marriage (no we were NOT wanted by the law!) so I lived in a house I always had to keep ready for resale. One upside of the busted housing bubble, we're staying put and my walls can be whatever color I want.

      Delete
  5. How fabulous is your house!! Seriously. I love your pictorial tours. I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who hangs vintage game boards on their wall. I've nearly run out of wall space. Fabulous stained glass. What a talented hubby!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. We were clearing away old games and my son decided to decorate with hte boards of ones that didn't have enough pieces to donate to charity!

      Delete
  6. What a wonderful home you have!

    I once painted my hallway bright yellow - it ended up an intense banana color (and shiny too!). I LOVED it. I'd walk in the door and it would make me smile, I'd look out the door of the living room and it would make me smile. I'm sure all my friends thought I was crazy (as if that was ever in question) but I was so happy with it.

    Our new place has a bright red wall in the kitchen - it was one of the things I fell in love with when we were condo hunting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Banana yellow hallway! I love it. It would be like coming home to a slip n slide! Thanks for the kind words about my house and for coming by!

      Delete
  7. Gorgeous home! And I totally agree with you- the 'color' issue wasn't very colorful at all. But compared to what they usually show, I guess they consider a few shades of blue and green 'color'!

    Thanks doll,
    The Glamorous Housewife

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by - your sunny face and green door made me think it would be a nice change of view with lots of colors but, sigh, not so much.

      Delete
  8. Color, YES! Not only in decorating but in clothing, I've been wearing a lot more color esp. after reading the fashion blogs. We all need a little pick-me-up in this drab economy.

    thriftshopcommando.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NO kidding! I always love your blog, great pick me up in any shade.

      Delete
  9. Ok. Now I know why we get along...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - so true. You are all kinds of colorful, my friend!

      Delete
  10. Gotta say, this is the ONLY magazine I've subscribed to for over 20 years and quite frankly, I haven't been impressed since this last editor took over. And I mean, NOT AT ALL. Actually thinking about letting the subscription just run out. Love your colorful rooms and can't help but notice that fun flying pig:@)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow - I thought it was just me being my unclassy self! Put you are super classy and feel the same way. I feel better now. Thank you, thank you. I may go paint a wall.

      Delete
  11. I LOVE your use of color. It takes a confident person to use bold colors and I love that you have done so. I have finally, after years and years and years, let my subscription lapse. It just doesn't speak to me anymore- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes me sad because I did think it was just me not 'getting' it. I still love the magazine but hope they stretch their wings a bit more to embrace all kinds of tastes.

      Delete
  12. I love your house and all of it's colors!
    =D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Okay then! I am now inspired to stop acting like a silly old cowardly scaredy cat, sitting on the gallon of coral paint for the dining room (no, not literally sitting on it or it would be squashed all over the floor - but wait! A coral floor?!). I'm going to DO IT! What disciple of Dear Helen would have a BORING blue/grey dining room I ask?! (as I gingerly look over my shoulder into the dining area & wonder...)

    What the hell - we only go round once & I'm looking at the last hurrah so it might as well be a damn good one! I always said when I'm an old lady I'll wear purple (& do all that other fun, outrageous stuff that goes with that story). Might as well start with CORAL!

    Thanks Helen......I think ;- )

    ~Vickie~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So cool Vickie! My motto is IT's ONLY PAINT, If you don't like it, paint over it. Start with coral but I must warn you - aqua cannot be far behind!

      Delete
  14. I LOVE Color vibrant in your face color. Do Not be alarmed when you see some of my paintings like this on . I sold it to a lady that tells me everyone is attracted to it and she has is in her living room over the fireplace. She says it can go in any room because it has so many colors.
    http://katethewayitis.blogspot.com/2012/01/2011-art-works-by-kat.html

    -KAT-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your artwork is STUNNING!! I Love your colors and style.

      Delete
  15. I love love love your colorful home! Way better than anything I have seen in a magazine! Thanks for coloring up our world today!

    DeDe
    VintageandFlea.com

    ReplyDelete

Loved To Have Their Own Say In Things Ones say:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...