Monday, May 7, 2012

What's Eating YOU?




Dear Helen Hartman
Today in the bookstore I can across a book called French Kids Eat Everything and it made me sick. No not a comment on the book or the author, who I am sure is a lovely, well intentioned person, but I couldn’t help thinking “Great, yet ANOTHER indictment once again on my many failures as a mother.”  Love to hear what Helen thinks is the right way to handle kids, feelings of not getting it right!

Dear Loved to Ask the Hard Questions One,
If French kids eat everything then they can just bite my…  butter dish.

Here kids, gnaw on this while Helen opens a can of whop-derriere on this problem. 

Helen agrees with the premise that as the adults we should set the example and be giving kids good, healthy foods but feels your frustration when the things we think are healthy are proved later to be only slightly less dangerous to our children than the glob of old gum found stuck under the table.

Sally: It was GRAPE!       Billy: I Never find nothin' good stuck to the table.       Father: I wanted to raise chinchillas for profit but oh, no YOU had to have a FAMILY.
(Here’s the test of if you are good mother or not. Did you take the kid who ate the gum directly into the washroom and rinse their mouth out or did you just have them spit it into a napkin and tell yourself whatever they picked up from it would only help to build their immune system? If youg child survived the ordeal, either answer is fine.) 

But reading over your concern carefully...

Then the Viscount took her in his strong arms and whispered huskily... That's NOT your letter? Oh, all right I'll read your letter, but I can't guarantee it will hold my attention as well. 

Helen finds herself of two minds

"Well, you know what they say..."  "Being of two minds is a nice change from her usual - being two faced?" "I was going to say 'Two minds are better than one', but yours works, too."

Oh please, Helen isn't two faced! I never talk behind anyone's back. 

Seriously, who'd be dumb enough to turn their back on ME?

But I am wondering, should I be addressing the issue of how nutrition has changed, or the angst over what makes for good mothering or how we let the opinions of other enter intrude on our well-being?
Yes, I know that’s 3 things. Helen is a word person, not a number person.

Let’s break it down – what the heck are you supposed to feed your kids? What are you supposed to feed yourself, for that matter? I mean, not everyone is a mother but we are all eaters.

Speak for yourself.  It's the 60s I live on cigarettes, booze and Metrical.

If you asked the ‘experts’ in 1950, you’d get this.

6 slices of bread a day - any way you slice it, that's a lot on one kid's plate! 

1960s

Canned soup, canned pudding, canned drinks, canned laughter on sit coms! Ahh, those were the days.

1970s


Things got a little spacey, man.

 And it doesn’t get less confusing after that. Oddly enough, if you go backwards from the 50’s (I’ve seen movie stars trying desperately to do this, the results can be pretty scary!) simplicity, common sense and considering the tastes and needs of each individual tended to be the guidelines.

"In our household we always have choices." "Ours too. Either eat what Mama makes or go hungry."

Choosing common sense over nonsense would be a good approach to dealing with every body whether you are parenting them, feeding them, working with them or just on the same planet with them. Even if they write books aimed at making you feel inadequate.

Yes, I did notice I didn’t address the 'how do I know I’m a good mom and why do people keep writing books and blogs and articles to make me feel like I’m NOT?'. Looks like a 2-parter to me – more in next post just in time for Mother’s Day.


Joining Rednessday 

35 comments:

  1. You are just so wonderful! Today I needed you, you bring smiles ...

    Have a beautiful week ~
    TTFN ~
    Marydon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, Marydon, I needed your kind words today as well. Have a great week.

      Delete
  2. Marvellous stuff! I have missed you and your wit!
    I might love the 1970s but the food of my youth was bloody awful, I surprised I don't have rickets with the canned stuff Mum fed us on! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - my mom went back to work in the 70s and discovered frozen foods - we lived on 'em. UGH.

      Delete
  3. Mothers in the South cooked everything with bacon grease when I was a kid in the 50s and 60s, which is what their mothers before them did. I guess every generation eventually learns that something they considered healthy wasn't all that good for their kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom even friend greasy hamburger in bacon grease. Man, did it taste good! We had a jar to collect grease in right on the stove (probably not a great idea when you think of it)

      Delete
  4. I CRAVE space food sticks, gah. Also, my mom made me Campbell's chicken noodle soup for lunch every day for the first 5 years of my elementary school career (hello 60's). I don't think I have a point to make, I'm just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Campbells soup still makes me feel better when I'm sick cuz it's just like Mama used to make ;)

      Delete
  5. Hello Helen:
    Never mind French children eating everything, what about the French women eating everything and yet always staying the size of a pencil? Could it be that the French do eat everything but do not swallow it? However, the thought of chewing on a frog's leg or a snail, even without swallowing, is quite beyond us. We were the generation raised on Spam Fritters, Banana Custard, Tapioca, tinned pilchards, tinned peaches and suet puddings........which explains a lot,most probably!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! French women staying slim is an enigma, especially when one sees all that butter! Maybe the calories just slip right through their systems on it.

      Delete
  6. Holy Jesus. "It's the 60s I live on cigarettes, booze and Metrical." That could be me, except it's cigarettes, booze and Slim Fast. My, how nothing changes except my pant size. Bigger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. I loved Slim Fast. It never worked but it made me feel so superior for drinking it.

      Delete
  7. Here I thought the space ood sticks were pepperoni... and I got all hungry ... only to read it was some odd looking chocolate. *hehehe*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were like tootsie roll only not so chewy... or tasty.

      Delete
  8. Only one question... what are those twins wearing??? Almost looks like a clown costume! I'd try to say something witty about "healthy" food, but who am I kidding, I'm from Philly:@)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bacon is healthy. If I don't eat it, people suffer. LOL on those twins - what the heck?

      Delete
  9. This is SO funny!!!! I totally remember the days when I ACTUALLY tried to live on nothing but champagne, cigarettes (that didn't last long), and popcorn!!! It wasn't even the 60s, so what was my excuse??!?!?!!! All it got me was a trip to the hospital emergency room and a VERY stern lecture from my doctor. Thirty years and fifty pounds later, I want to open a can of "whoop derriere" on him!!! I'm with Paula Deen and the French on the whole butter issue. I can't live without it!!! VERY funny post! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alycia! What a story about going to the ER for your diet. Butter is lovely, isn't it?

      Delete
  10. Space food sticks! Oh my, that memory fell outta my head when menopause hit. I liked Peanut Butter flavored ones, put them in the grocery cart right next to the Sugar Pops and Sugar Smacks!
    Now they just change the names to make them sound healthier Corn Pops my eye!

    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! And they all are made of whole wheat now - which actually makes them taste icky.

      Delete
  11. Hello Helen Hartman! Nana Diana here! I an your newest follower and I think you might be even a tad more wacky than I am...which, of course, puts you on my "must read" list. Yep...you are stuck with me now. Hugs- Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Nana - I think I already follow you. I know I read your blog. If am not a follower will correct that. Thanks for coming by.

      Delete
  12. Yes, common sense is definitely the way to go no matter what! Good advice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my... so so true. I read about that book, & the article content did seem completely common sense. With four littles in our household there is NO monkey business... there is one meal made for everyone, eat it or not your choice, but that is THE meal. It is a matter of serenity/survival. lol. I suddenly have a craving for those space food sticks... chewy chocolate reminds me of a tootsie roll. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I ever thought YUM about a Space stick ;).

      Delete
  14. Too true and Tooooo cute! On top of all the rest, we've seen too many beloveds from senor citizens on down, struggle with weight issues BECAUSE they were always made to finish their plates. So I never made my kids OR grandkids do so. Course, if they were full, they wouldn't want dessert, at least not then. :) Loved this fun visit for Rednesday! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming by - off to visit you back. Yep, lots of food issues stem from good intentions, don't they?

      Delete
  15. First time here and love the vintage feel.
    Thanks for sharing this beautiful post.
    Hope to see you on my blog:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to come visit your blog.

      Delete
  16. Love all your pics - great post!!

    I'm your newest follower!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks! I hopped over to your blog and am following you back.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your web looks absolutely gorgeous. I was thinking to follow each other. Tell me what you think :X

    Regards!

    FashionSpot.ro

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you! I peeked at your blog and MUST follow. So, so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Playing catch-up (not catsup, which French kids eat on everything) tonight. I love you - thanks for the laughs - a perfect ending to a marvelous week! HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY, HELEN!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Loved To Have Their Own Say In Things Ones say:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...