Friday, May 18, 2012

Your Face is Familiar



Diane from the wonderful blog   Lavender Dreams   has a familiar problem
Dear Helen Hartman, 
Here's my dilemma! Everywhere I go...no matter what state I am in....people recognize me. I have people come up to me in airports, in grocery lines, even stop me on the sidewalk and say, I KNOW you! Aren't you, somebody's' aunt, or one of the 'insert name here' sisters? Do you work at Kmart....or Hallmark? One girl checked me out at the grocery store and asked me if I was the lady dating her father? EEEE! I HOPE not! People don't say I LOOK like someone...they say I AM that someone! They are just sure I am someone they know! Even when I am with my hubby, it happens. He has learned to laugh along with me. But what should I SAY? How can I handle this with grace?
Thanks for your advice...I know it will be helpful!


Dear Loved The One I Thought You Were,
Helen has been puzzling over this problem for endless…

Minutes. Then I started thinking about bacon. With a clock like this, can you blame me?

Honestly, Helen has never had this issue come up. In fact, much the opposite. When people recognize me they often go to great lengths NOT to interact with me.

The ‘people’ who do this the most are my own children  They think they are saving themselves embarrassment. I know I am saving myself having to pay for their lunch. Win win! (this one doesn't know I am using his photo - let's see if he really ever reads my blog).
Allrighty then, I am thinking the best way to understand your problem is to turn the tables and ask you a question. You say this happens, "no matter what state" you are in. Helen wants to know – do you often go out ‘in a state’?  If so, might it be an ‘altered’ state? Maybe people aren’t reacting to your face but to that.

Oh, look, it's Peg's Aunt Gert, the one who always goes around with a big ol' beehive on top of her head, wearing her bedspread as a royal cape. Let's go say 'hi!'. 

No, knowing you from your lovely blog, I suppose that’s not likely the case. I do, however, want to make it known that because of your letter, Helen is newly obsessed with the idea of becoming one of those:  “Insert Name Here” Sisters.

Let's form a singing group and take our act on the road!

  
On one hand, it is awfully nice that you are so approachable and that people seem to be mistaking you for somebody they are fond of not someone they want to throw a punch at.

Yeah, I KNOW this is NOT a Punch Bowl which would have made sense, but I didn't FIND a punch bowl this week so I'm using this casserole dish, which I DID find and it makes me smile, just like YOU so pipe down and be envious of my great bargain already, will ya?


On the other hand I can see how having one of ‘those faces’ can make you feel like people don’t see the real you at all.

I'm not saying June didn't have much of a personality but even on the family Christmas card she was upstaged by her own fold away furniture.
  
Of course, since this has happened to you before and will probably continue to happen, it’s only natural that you want to know what to say. What to say to people has never been a problem for Helen!

You could render them speechless with this:

Thank you and your big mouth! Five years in the witness protection program without an incident and you spot me and blab my 'real' name and now I have to move again. Oh, if a guy named Vinny stops in to ask if you saw me? You’re on your own. 

Too catty?

Like how I worked in a way to show off my newest fab find and join in Pink Saturday?


I suppose you could make this reaction people have work to your advantage.


If people think they know you well enough to insist you're someone else, assume they know that someone well enough to loan that someone money. Tell them you'll pay them back next time you see them. $10 here, $20 there. Next thing you know you can afford to meet people in other countries where they might not think they know you so much. 


But you did say you wanted to handle it with grace.

Grace. Hmmm, You know that’s not Helen’s strong suit, right? I can't even drink and dial at the same time with grace. 

But if I practice what I preach: 

Helen does not actually PREACH. She is, as defined in the book Heathen Girls by Luanne Jones: Too flawed to preach the Gospel and to fat to take up pole dancing.

Then I recall that manners are about thinking of the other person and thinking of you gives me the perfect way to handle this!

Next time someone asks “Don’t I know you?” say “Yes, it IS me, world famous blogger the Lavender Dreamer! I adore it when the little people recognize me, wherever I go.” Grab a pen, sign whatever is in their hands with an illegible scrawl, and breeze on past.  



And if they STILL argue that you aren’t who you say you are… call Vinny.


Joining Strut your Stuff Saturday!

69 comments:

  1. Hello Helen:
    We rather work on the principle of how dreadful and too, too shaming it would be if no-one was talking about us - always of course, we realise, behind our backs. To be recognised everywhere as well must be the absolute cherry on the cake. Something we dream about!

    Is Lavender Dreamer actually Mrs. Beckham or even the Duchess of Cornwall. In either case, please, dear Helen, engineer us an introduction!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From her letter, I suspect if you go up to the next person you see whose face you just can't place and it will be her! Jane and Lance, you are celebrities in Helen's world, which is the very BEST kind of celeb to be!

      Delete
  2. What a dreadful error. For Duchess of Cornwall, please read Duchess of Cambridge - or whichever is the young, pretty one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I don't know which Duchess is which. The very title conjures up images of a dowager waving opera glasses about!

      Delete
  3. OH MY! I think this will WORK...totally BRILLIANT my friend! I posted about your post! heehee! Thank you! Kind regards, Duchess Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The link to my post... http://lavenderdreamstoo.blogspot.com/2012/05/dear-helen-hartman.html

      Delete
    2. Thank you for sharing and THANK YOU for the question. It was a toughie but so much fun to answer.

      Delete
  4. Eeeee! You always make me laugh! I wish that I had this problem. I'd love to do the autograph part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't ever let a lack of cooperation on the part of others stay you from your determination to be a legend in your own mind. Just start giving out autographs and the fame will follow!

      Delete
  5. Very good advise Helen. I'll just have to call upon your quick wit and humor when and if someone ever asks me this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know how that works out. Unless it goes badly. Then forget who told you.

      Delete
  6. I am a new fan of yours Helen! I must have been living in a cave because this is my very first time reading your blog and it's all because of Lavender Dreams!! You and I should go on the road...we would make a great pair with our sassy little tidbits of wisdom and advice (solicited or unsolicited doesn't really matter does it)
    Blessings
    Gmama Jane
    http://grandmamasstories.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming by - I ran over to your blog and loved it!

      Delete
  7. Personally, I'm casting my vote for the smart-alecky witness protection comeback. It's not to say that I'm totally without grace...but sassy has always been my strong suit. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace is overrated unless it's showing gratitude for a scrumptious meal!

      Delete
  8. LOL -- you always brighten my day -- Diane is such a sweet lady and I know she's thrilled with all of your advice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for saying so. I loved answering her question, even if that answer wasn't really all that useful.

      Delete
    2. Thank you - I really enjoyed answering her question.

      Delete
  9. I so enjoy rambles--mostly when I walk outside but I certainly enjoyed rambling through your article and pictures.

    And laughing.

    And, what was the question you were answering again?

    Seriously, I enjoyed this.

    Sia McKye OVER COFFEE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also tend to ramble, that's why I so often don't get the questioned answered! Am going to ramble to your blog to say hello.

      Delete
  10. Hey I have that folding table and chairs. It was my grandma's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - It's always so fun to find something I have in old magazine ads - this one was from Good Housekeeping, Oct. 1963

      Delete
  11. I love it! Think I'd ask them for the money, they'd realize they were "mistaken" quickly:@)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it funny how asking for money jars the memory like that?

      Delete
  12. I love it. and I love your blog Helen, Lavender Dreamer is a sweet friend and I am so glad she posted about your blog

    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I'm glad you came by so I can go and visit your blog back! Have a great weekend.

      Delete
  13. Oh so pretty!

    Hope you'd come and link with me in my Color Connection meme through my PINK entry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How can anyone resist a post about puppies and blue sand? Thanks for coming by.

      Delete
  14. Oh so funny! This happens to me also...just have one of those 'faces'! Love your 'final' answer!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? I guess because I 'know' both you and Diane through your lively, personal blogs I can't imagine anyone thinking you could be ANYONE else!

      Delete
  15. It DOES happen to me - and people usually think I'm a "Debby". I have a real friend who would just love that pink cat. (I wear myself out thrifting for cats to keep up with gifting her on her special occasions.) Yesterday, I actually found a country-type cat necklace for whatever comes up next.

    And I have a punch bowl if you ever need to borrow it. But it wouldn't be nearly as memorable to use as the spotted casserole!

    By the way, wasn't that you at the garage sale in Antwerp yesterday?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL When Helen arrives at a sale, you'll know it. Mostly because she will be complaining about the prices or how they could call it an Estate sale when it's a yard sale... I think you should find this Debby and tell her you're going to use her name whenever you want to misbehave!

      Delete
  16. Awh, come on, try the pole dancing! You're a skinny thing! Great post:)

    ~Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a fun post. You and Diane are both "world" famous. I'm sure the crowds happen often when you are out and about thrifting/shopping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I DO have crowds when I got thrifting - usually trying to push me out of the way to get to the treasures! Have a great weekend.

      Delete
  18. your amazing . Thanks to Lavender Dreamer Gal I found your fab blog. -KAT-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. I love Diane's blog and am so happy she enjoyed the reply and sent great folks like you over!

      Delete
  19. I see "Duchess Diane" all the time, here in Vegas...hmmmmmmmm. Now I know who she is! Thanks for starting my weekend in a fabulous way - love the advice about signing autographs, and can just imagine leaving someone standing there with their mouth hanging open. HAHAHAHAHA - Happy Saturday, Helen - love the rad finds from this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next time you see her, ask if you know her and just see if you get the fabulously famous treatment! Thanks!

      Delete
  20. Oh I love your advise Helen! Very good, you need your own column! I hope Diane remembers to carry her pen around:)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just loved it...and your querky (don't know how you spell it...so according to my mother....I shouldn't use it) sense of humour! Joan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Debbie and Joan! It's always fun to be able to 'help' such nice people - esp if I get to be snarky too!

      Delete
  22. I would love to say i am mistaken for a thin beautiful film star everyday but alas i would be lying! I laughed at the move van picture with the witness protection haha. Scarlett x

    ReplyDelete
  23. "If I was the lady dating her father".......GAH, you're a riot! And anyone who can tie in that picture of the clock with the bacon into their post is a genius. You made my day, HH!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carol but there is always a way to tie in bacon, isn't there?

      Delete
  24. Oh my gosh, this happens to me too! The last time was at work. I was subbing for a teacher, and the students were 100% convinced that I was really their teacher's twin. A few of the kids would look up at me while walking inside their classroom, and then literally stop in their tracks and freeze on the spot. All day I was bombarded by all these junior high kids telling me I was outright lying about not being their teacher's twin sister. :p

    I used to get the "Don't I know you?" question a lot, but that one particular day was a little too Twilight Zone-ish for me.

    Great blog by the way! This is my first visit, and it won't be the last.

    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristin! Love the story about the mysterious twin teacher.

      Delete
  25. Helen???? OMG is THAT YOU???? I haven't seen you in AGES!!! What's been happening???
    hahahaha
    Happy PS!!!
    Sparkly Hugs,
    Tobi and the Pixies

    ReplyDelete
  26. laughing out loud! happy pink saturday, xo

    ReplyDelete
  27. Replies
    1. Thank you for coming by Michele and Joops! I am going to be busy this morning visiting back - love finding new blogs to enjoy!

      Delete
  28. I'm excited to be a new follower! I would love you to follow me back at http://iheartpears.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, all righty then. You wish is my command. Thanks for coming by and following!

      Delete
  29. the cat is awesome.

    Pink Blooms, have a blessed Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. I am undecided on the cat - glad it was cheap!

      Delete
  30. I just had to come back over to read the comments! Oh...they are priceless! And the asking if I was the lady dating her father....really happened! I think my husband was WITH me when she asked me! heeheehee! Thanks for your wonderful advice! I'm carrying a pen everywhere I go now..oh, and business cards! WOW! I really AM famous now, thanks to Dear Helen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - yes, you will soon have paparazzi camping outside your house!

      Delete
  31. That Witness Protection gag had me spitting my tea out in mirth! Great to see you and your rocker son! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! He's actually more of a hipster hippie than a rocker.

      Delete
  32. Oh, Miss Helen!

    You never fail to delight with your incisive wit, your fabulous illustrations, and those FINDS. And speaking of recognition---I DO believe that Samsonite furniture lady (or at least her hair) was in an early episode of Star Trek. Or was it Laugh-In?

    Always lovely to see you at LAWN TEA!

    rachel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can totally see her in Star Trek! How fun that you mentioned it. Thanks!

      Delete
  33. I love your blog! This is my first time here, I came over from Lavender Dreamer. I'll be signing up as a new follower and coming back to read more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cheryl - it's been so fun to meet new people via the famous Lavender Dreamer! Maybe people recognize her everywhere because she knows sooo many people! Off to visit your blog too.

      Delete
  34. I love your blog! This is my first time here, I came over from Lavender Dreamer. I'll be signing up as a new follower and coming back to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Aside from your as usual great advise, I love your son! (In a grama sorta way of course - making that perfectly clear here & now!) He looks like my grandson Forrest who is my EVERYTHING & makes his grama walk on cloud nine - a nice place to be :- ) Very handsome boys!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I have just downloaded iStripper, and now I can watch the sexiest virtual strippers on my taskbar.

    ReplyDelete

Loved To Have Their Own Say In Things Ones say:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...