Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Hey You! You Who Didn't take my Post about Dressing Right to Heart...


Report to Helen for a kick in the seat of the (pajama) pants immediately!


Aye, Aye, Helen!


This weekend Helen had the wonderful fortune to meet her cousin Patje 









(we were together as much as possible as children – why are there no pics of us together until we started to fall apart?) 




for a mini-vacay in the thrilling and exotic climes of Terre Haute and Indianapolis, Indiana. I admit, these were not the fancy schmancy hotels of the rich and famous

You mean there are places where one might overnight which are neither fancy nor schmancy? Tell me it isn't so!
but that doesn’t excuse the choices of my fellow weary travellers on life’s affordable hotel lined highway. News flash, my friends, the public lobby is NOT your living room, the swimming pool is not your kid's personal playground.


I suppose the next thing you'll say is the staff are not my servants, I shouldn't let my kids run wild in the halls and the elevator is not my private farting chamber!
More to the point, just because they offer to make your breakfast after a night between their sheets, it doesn’t mean you’ve earned the right to shuffle into the continental breakfast serving area in your jammies with an acute case of bedhead.


Yeah, put some curlers in and tie on a scarf. Show some class for cat's sake.

The first time I noticed this trend was this winter when a gaggle of giggling girls showed up en masse in jammies for the free continental breakfast in Rollo, Missouri (Helen travels to the most exciting places, n'est ce pas?). Helen let that one pass. Young people away from home? There will be some hi-jinx! 


Thrilling does not begin to describe it. You know what they say about girls who wear sunglasses and sensible shoes. If you do, tell me, because I'm missing something here.

Oh, if only Helen had nipped this trend in the bud when it was still manageable!


For instance Helen should have told that man behind her just how gauche it is to wear white socks and tennis shoes while nude sunbathing. Naked means naked, Mister.
Helen is actually at a loss for words here. No, she’s not. Barefoot gray-haired ladies in nylon nighties at the make your own waffle bar in a chain-name-brand hotel in Terre Haute, Indiana.


"What? Have they no garishly colored moo-moos?" thought Shelia while all her husband Ernie had to say was "Grrrr, can I buy you a plastic cup of free grapefruit juice, m'lady?"

If THOSE words don't strike fear into the heart of the American road warrior then we are lost as a nation, I tell you.
To give these women some credit, they had on robes. Ill-fitting, belt-defying robes people chose to call ‘comfy’ instead of admitting it should have been relegated to the rag bag a year ago. 


For future reference THIS is the only kind of open robe that one should wear in public. Helen personally wears this type of robe to get the paper every morning... at Starbucks. Crown and big ol
 poofy hair NOT optional. It's Starbucks, people, not Dunkin' Donuts. 

I understand that on vacation one wants to be able to let one’s guard down.


"Don't even think of letting THIS guard down. Rodney may have the bigger cannon but I can cut you to shreds with a few choice words and this cute purse is not just for holding mad money - if it starts swinging you'd better duck because I will really mess you up."

And in the South we take it as a compliment when someone feels so relaxed that they treat our home as their home but we also have an expectation that they have the good grace to pretend they act better in their homes than they actually do.


I don't care what electrical devices you hook yourself up to at home, or under what pretense you do it. (C'mon, if these people 'reduce' any more they will be skeletons). You would never go to a friend's home and stick a toaster down your pants! Would you? You can tell me if you would. I promise not to blog about it. Much.

With that as a measuring stick Helen shudders to imagine what breakfast must look like at these guests’ homes!


This is FUN! It promises. Cancel any future vacation plans, kids - we're staying home and making SPAMCAKES! 



Wake up, fellow travellers! 
And put on something decent before you go in public!






Joining: White Wednesday and 
Wow Us Wednesday 

43 comments:

  1. Too blinking true, the Brits are the same. We're a nation of slobs! the worst thing I saw was a family at Mumbai airport boarding a night flight in pyjamas, dressing gowns and slippers (that included the parents and grandparents) Eeeek. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WHAT? Tell me it ain't so! I remember when my mom made us dress up to just go to the airport to meet someone! I had hoped this was a purely American downfall.

      Delete
  2. Bwa ha ha!! Always such a treat to read your precious words of wisdom. I admit I sometimes wear my peignoir to the coffee shop but I try to balance that by wearing my opera gown there as well. Does that count? And now that you've kicked the kids from the poolside daycare, I think they've migrated to my coffee shop! Many of them are not wearing jammies though but sleepers. Why then do they never sleep in them? They should be called screamers. Whereas the mothers, dressed somewhat decently, look like they are sleepwalking... Life's mysteries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - Peignoirs - now THAT I'd have forgive, esp if also wearing marabou trimmed mules and a matching hair cover! One day a nightie, the next evening wear, it does balance out. We didn't have screamers this trip, no sleepers or even wake-the-deaders, but these ladies were enough for one trip, I think.

      Delete
    2. Unfortunately, Melanie, Helen and I did not stay in an establishment where one might find a fellow traveler in a peignoir. I doubt if anyone where we stayed would have even known what a peignoir was. This was more the WalMart markdown rack kind of sleepwear, I'm sure. I didn't see the offender personally, but the sight really put Helen in a tizzy.
      Cousin Patje

      Delete
    3. LOL - I still haven't recovered entirely! Hey - you can comment now!

      Delete
    4. Yes, and you know me. I'll be commenting regularly :)

      Delete
  3. Coming from a Latin background, I am sometimes horrified at the way our country dresses. For instance, among Latins and most Europeans, it is unheard of to take your shoes off at a formal dance like prom, or any dance really. I see girls doing that so much now and it drives me bonkers. Thanks for putting a light spin on the whole thing though. LOVE to read your posts. hee-hee
    MUAH!
    Marcia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marcia - interesting cultural tid bit. So many people here wear flip flops that are no better than going barefoot.

      Delete
    2. I agree that wearing jammy's about town is ridiculous, but I have to stand in defense of the barefoot dancers. I always loose my foot ware when I am dancing, especially when my shoes were high heels to begin with. Looking nice is all very important, but dancing comfortably is even more so....I admit, every time I do, the thought of my ankles looking less slender and delicate causes me to reconsider my callous removal of my shoes, but the the thought of me hobbling around on a sprained ankle, or looking like a hunchback because I threw my back while dancing with heels makes me reconsider my siding with fashion and slender ankles and reinforces my need to throw my shoes and good name to the wind...

      Delete
  4. Gaaaa Helen....it's a total lack of modesty and manners ..any more. We were raised differently. If we were guest in anyone's home...we were even more likely to be polished when in front of others. I almost want to puke when I see grown people out in pj's. Smiles to you, Susie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my! Helen hopes you don't go to breakfast in Terre Haute because it could get messy!

      Delete
  5. Amen and Amen!!!! Lord have mercy if my Great Aunt Clara were alive today she would have a hissy fit! When I was little, (a million years ago) I got the military inspection before I was allowed out of her house!

    I do admit once while undressing during gym class I was horrified to find that I had left my shortie pajamas on under my jeans. I must have been not quite awake when I dressed that morning and Aunt Clara didn't catch that one!

    You are hysterical!

    Blessings

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And now you've announced your jammie wearin' ways to the whole world! Aunt Clara is not pleased!

      Delete
  6. Wow. That must have been an interesting sight. I've seen some "sights" while traveling, but never that. Perhaps they were part of the cast of an offbeat production? Hope your trip was wonderful otherwise. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen - it was wonderful. No big events just gabbing and laughing. The perfect get away.

      Delete
  7. Seriously! You don't have to travel far, just go to Walmart! The latest trend seems to be wearing bathing suits with "kinda" cover-ups to the store. Not right and in some instances... scary:@)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOW! I saw one today at Target! It's not like they seriously cover up the suit - it's like a suit and a shirt over it and that's enough.

      Delete
  8. First time visiting your site and oh what a funny but true post. I'm amazed at what I see some folks wear out in public.
    I was laughing just about all the way through it. Hysterical!
    I'll be back for more visits that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jana - welcome to the inner chambers of my mind, sorry I it's such a mess.

      Delete
  9. Just popped over from Saavy and I must say, your post put me in mind of the strange looks I get when I wear my tiara into the Waffle House. I'm happy to be your newest follower so I can keep abreast of your general disdain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peggy - a tiara at the Waffle House is perfection! Clearly you are a persona of taste with a firm grip on your lofty position in this crazy old world. I am off to visit your blog right back. I can't wait. In fact I won't wait. Here I--

      Delete
  10. Hey-Where can I get one of those reduction things that I can stick in my pants and it will reduce my hips- Heck- I'll take HIS, too. Might as well catch everything at once-if you get my drift. GREAT post- Love the SPAM cakes- Lordy! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - yes, I would think I would need at least 4 of those things to iron out all the flabby parts!

      Delete
  11. All the "rules" about clothes that applied when I was a kid are long gone. Remember when you'd die of embarrassment if someone told you your bra strap or your slip was showing? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - now clothes are designed to show your straps! I make my daughter wear a jog bra with tank tops so I don't feel so much like her undies are on display!

      Delete
  12. So very nice to meet you. I am looking forward to getting to know you and being a new friend and follower.
    Love your site and can't wait to read more. Hopefully later today I can come back by and get to know you better.
    Thanks for finding me and joining my little humble site that I love making friends on.
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome - I loved your blog. So charming. Thanks for coming over for a visit and hope to see you again.

      Delete
  13. Oh my gosh! I have a friend who swears by "spamcakes", though I'm not sure what she calls them. She tells me she is such a rednecker! I am going to have to have a bite!
    Oh, we wear flannel pajamas at our Walmart not to mention elsewhere! Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Holly - I can see you know in your jammies eatin' spammies!

      Delete
  14. The airport and Wal-Mart...makes you wonder...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never wonder when it comes to people, I often simply think the worst and get it done with.

      Delete
  15. I have to say I've seen the teenagers in sweat pants at a breakfast buffet but adults in nighties, ugh! I'm shuddering just thinking about it!

    Jessica
    stayathomeista.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that was way over the top - or maybe that it needed a bit more over the top!

      Delete
  16. Funny blog. I too am a bit sick of the wear your PJs everywhere. I see girls in PJs and slippers walking down the side walk so I guess it might be better to see them at breakfast dressed that way. For myself I send my husband down to fetch me something so I don't scare anyone!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I didn't even think of the just woke upness look adding to it all. I can't recall know if they even brushed their hair! I'm gonna say no because it makes me feel more smug.

      Delete
  17. My husband and I have been traveling for his work a lot lately, so we practically live in the Holiday Inn Express. I know JUST what you're talking about. I must admit, however, that I do wear my house slippers to the breakfast room there. I look decent otherwise...it's just that I am going for comfort, and they don't necessarily look like house slippers so I figure I can get away with it. Maybe not. I will watch myself in the future! SO funny as always...especially the guard and nude bather!!! Have a great evening!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alycia - houseshoes are better than some 'real' shoes I've seen - the dirty flip flops make me crazy. Holiday Inn Express was better than the Drury Inn, but then the Drury Inn had a better breakfast bar so maybe more people came down.

      Delete
  18. Dear Helen, I agree with your admonition BUT, if everyone complies, it'll put an end to one of my guilty pleasures ~ judging others' style choices/people watching!

    ~Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  19. Helen,
    Not to be picky, but that's Roll-a, Missouri. The engineering school there used to be called School of Minds. It actually was the biggest drunk-fest ever. Thousands of heavily intoxicated engineering nerds celebrating St. Pat's. My brother, the nerd, got 3rd degree carpet burns to the face from passing out and sloooowwwly sliding down the stairs. He was wearing a properly belted robe and nifty cordouroy slippers, so it was all good.

    ReplyDelete

Loved To Have Their Own Say In Things Ones say:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...