Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Been 2: Helen Back!

Oh my stars and stripes, Loved Ones! 
I can't believe I let so much time slip by without telling people what I think about them and how they carry on and should knock it off an start acting like Helen is the queen of the universe I mean, blogging. 

Helen is mortified at her lack of work ethic this week, Loved Ones and should apologize, which I probably won't. Actually, I'd like to blame the heat or extenuating circumstances for my absence from the blogosphere of late ... 


... so I will! 

It's the American way, right?


While the girls were pledging to be good citizens Dagmar was signalling the bartender to have 'this many' highballs waiting for her by the pool.

 What's important is: I'M BACK!!!

Thank Heavens she didn't say please don't take AFFRONT! I don't think the internet is ready for full frontal Helen. 

Where did I go? My cousin Patje had a change of plans in her summer travels and I got a second chance to make my escape... er getaway... um, oh never mind however I say it, it's gonna sound like Helen was on the lam.

It's normal to  need to break away from work and family but maybe having a chopper waiting was a bit much.

I left in such a hurry I forgot a few things - phone charger, toothpaste and laptop. The hotel could give me the toothpaste but between having to conserve phone power and no laptop I spent most of the time 'unplugged'

I recognize the keyboard but where is the wifi button?

The good news is I got a fresh stack of magazines so I can keep you all up to date on how to live a better life circa 1965! For some reason Cousin Patje came away from our adventure with a pressing question about tasteful ways to decorate one's yard. 



Hmmm. Helen is on it! Have a happy holiday, enjoy a few snaps of our trip to gorgeous Columbus, Indiana and I'll be back to judge advise you Friday!

A bit crumbling but still standing Art Deco dream - the Crump Theatre

War Memorial, a compelling reminder of the cost of freedom.

The columns are engraved with the last letters home of soldier from WW1 to Vietnam 

Something new... or OLD was sitting around every corner.

Shoulda got a better angle, but we were kind of wandering lost at this point and I don't know if we could have found our way around to this lovely piece of art - guess we will have to visit again!

18 comments:

  1. Your cousin didn't want a fleet of those little concrete pickup trucks in her yard? :) What were some of the other choices? I thought I saw a frog, a knight, a goose, some angels or butterflies...and something that looked suspiciously like the Michelin Man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trust me the trucks were some of the more attractive choices! I had no idea how expensive that stuff is - give me a new respect for it.

      Delete
  2. Good for you on sneaking out of town. Great finds. Can't wait to see more. Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy 4th to you too - I know you all must have great plans.

      Delete
  3. welcome back! looks like you had a great trip. i have been wondering about how much yard art is too much. i have two deer, a virgin mary, and a pug statue. i've been wanting one of those plastic swans full of plastic flowers, but i worry if that will be over doing it. hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You ain't got too much until you got geraniums growing out of an old toilet. That's my thinking.

      Delete
  4. I WANT TO SHOP WHERE YOU SHOP!!!! Glad you're back - missed you. Remember, you can always send me the dregs of your magazines!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will if I ever get them digitalized. I promise.

      Delete
  5. What a great Memorial, the letters would have had me in tears...

    Tammy
    The Young Airman's Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They did - they were all so touching. One of the most moving memorials I've ever seen.

      Delete
  6. Yay! She's bAAaack! I can hardly wait too hear what Helen has to say!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Funnily my family NEVER says that.

      Delete
  7. That war memorial is very intense. I think last letters are such a strong reminder of the flesh and blood sons, fathers, brothers that gave their lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And daughters. There was at least one letter from a female test pilot from WWII! Many of them died the day after their letter, I know many soldiers wrote almost daily so I guess that happened a lot.

      Delete
  8. Glad you got a chance to get away. Everyone needs to do that now and then. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm ready to go again! 104 degrees here -- thinking I made need more yard art since all my flowers are dying. Would that I had found room for that giant triceratops. Cousin Patje

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like you had a great trip ;-)) Good to have you back, dee x

    ReplyDelete

Loved To Have Their Own Say In Things Ones say:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...