Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Buy Buy Summer!


What's that Loved Ones? Summer is almost over? How can that be? I was just getting into swimsuit shape! Isn’t that JUST the way? Guess another year has gone by denying people the pleasure of the Helen-kini!

Dang it, Mary Lou, I told you not to bet on Helen to show!

 But summer must be winding down since we just went to the Kentucky State Fair:
 
My daughter inside an inflatable colon - the lighting is so flattering we decided we should have professional photos taken inside giant body parts from now on.



And, of course, being in Kentucky, there was the mandatory photo op with "the Colonel"








Juggling Elvis on a unicycle. 'Nuff said.




Pork Butt on a stick. Even alien visitors
don't try to hide their elation over that! 








And with Labor Day is just around the corner, it's time to put away the white shoes.

Remember that no white after Labor Day rule applies to fashion, sweetie, not wine. You'll thank me for that reminder when you have children of your own.

Which reminds Helen - she hasn’t flaunted  reveled in humbly shared…

No, it’s not showing off when you display all the lovely things you have found that others missed and in doing so allow others to think you find yourself in some way special. It's just confirming what other people already know... you are special.

Anyway, the point is I haven’t posted any vintage finds in a while. That’s mostly because I haven’t been buying as much as I used to. I find things but either have no space or no need for them. But there have been some things I either couldn’t leave behind or decided I would make the space for:

Vintage style glasses and plastic prize poodle - perfect for Rednesday!

Look a those faces, how could you leave them behind?

At last, a vintage skirt with real character! And a teeny waist. How did they do it?

Another can't resist item - Kokeshi!

Purple full length gloves! I think I actually squealed when I spotted them. And PINK earrings covered in rhinestones? You wouldn't have left them on the table, either. The photos were cheap and had a great story, they reminded me of someone....hmmmm.

Helen is taking a couple of days off this week then again on Labor Day... but that doesn't mean I won't have a new post up. Come back in a few days for the annual ritual of unspeakable tedium bordering on mind altering madness the fun and hilARity of - other people's vacation snaps!

Joining Wow Us Wednesday because - WOW, I mean, just WOW!

37 comments:

  1. It would have been a crime to leave that poodle behind and I love the print on the teensy skirt. What's all this about Labour Day and white? You Americans speak a different language sometimes! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a plan for the skirt. It fits except for that crazy waistband so.... LOL on Labor Day- it's the unofficial last day of summer as is now the first Monday in September. It's a day for the working class to take a holiday, have a parade that salutes them, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved seeing pictures of your beautiful daughter, even if she was in an inflatable colon. Frankly, though, I don't like the way the Colonel is leering at her. And those red glasses are the coolest things ever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL _ yes the Colonel had a rep as a lady leerer in his day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What better than a colon for pictures? I can't think of any place more flatulantly flattering...

    Have a great few days off, my friend. I'm weeping over the passing of summer...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by _ I can't believe I missed a flatulantly flattering opportunity!

      Delete
  6. Helen, I love your photos. So funny. I am mad for those red glasses :):) Smiles to you, Susie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they wonderful? I wish I could have my real lenses but into them and wear them all the time!

      Delete
  7. This was at a State Fair, not a Health Fair, right? I'm curious....why the super-sized colon? I mean, it's fine and all if you're into that kind of.....no, wait. No, it ISN'T fine!!! What in the name of Sam Hill is a giant colon doing there?!??!?!?!!! And in the photo with mother and daughter...is it just me, or does poor little Suzy who appears to be at least 11 or 12 years old look AWFULLY flat-chested for her age??! Not so much as a speed bump going on there!!! I'm diggin' her Mom's outfit, though. I would wear that if I had a waist that tiny! I'm glad you are so special, Dear Helen Hartman, in that you continue to amuse and bewitch us with these crazy, wonderful finds! Enjoy your Labor Day weekend!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I didn't even show the giant inflatable heart! Or the ugly lamp contest or the food of all kinds. I am with ya on the mom and daughter pic - they are a bit severe but that tiny waist makes me green with envy!

      Delete
  8. Oh Helen you must grace us with a photo of you in those darling glasses, purple gloves, and pink earrings. You would be the belle of the ball! The Fair photos are so fun. Loved, loved Elvis! Your daughter looks like she's having an awesome time, even in a colon, who knew?
    Hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - well I did try to teach her it's what's on the inside of people that matters! I am trying to decide how to wear those gloves out and about!

      Delete
  9. What a joy it is visiting and reading your post. Enjoy your days away.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my, no one's wardrobe is complete with purple gloves. I am so unspeakably jealous. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to wear them shopping, is that wrong?

      Delete
  11. Oh, the purple gloves are so YOU! I love your fun finds. It's a good thing we don't shop together...I would hate to have to fight you over the Kokeshi or the red poodle! Enjoy your week...have some FUN!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'd win because you are so nice and I fight dirty.

      Delete
  12. Wow-That is the best picture I have ever seen taken inside a giant colon. Perfect! I could think of a couple of men in my life that it would have been perfect for! Love your family pictures...fun and you know I like to have fun-which means I will certainly be back soon! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was a lovely spot to stop and contemplate a family photo shoot! Thanks!

      Delete
  13. Yes, I agree with the others that the purple gloves were the true find of the day! So luck that you found them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I just have to wait for the right occasion to wear them... formal Labor Day picnic anyone?

      Delete
  14. I wonder if Elvis needs to counter balance his big hair on the unicycle? Love the glasses :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He went zipping through the crowd then would stop and juggle.

      Delete
  15. Oh I know what you mean about cutting down on the shopping, the specs, gloves and earrings are flippin' awesome and I would have given you an arse-slap if you'd left them behind! I find I just don't need much anymore and the stuff I do buy is fun frou-frou - the best kind of shopping:)). The skirt, absolutely divine, but I think I would only be able to wear it as a cape because I have a 22" head and the waist looks like it might just fit over it;)) xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - OR you could attach it to a tiara and wear it like a veil! Thanks for giving me an idea. I buy smaller things lately, fun things I just can't leave on the table.

      Delete
  16. Wow! The fair seems fun, even in a colon! Now I want my picture in a colon! Pig butt on a stick? I see a theme running here? Love the red glasses, I would have added them to my accessories as well! Have a great Labor Day!
    Blessings,
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You too - thank you for stopping by my little corner of the colon!

      Delete
  17. I'm already anticipating a picture of you in those purple gloves and pink rhinestone earrings. Maybe you could pose for the picture in that inflatable colon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it only makes sense that one wear glove and ear coverings in a giant colon!

      Delete
  18. Hi, sweetie ... it's been a while, I know. Love your pictures as always, they take us back into wonderful time of memories.
    Yes, this summer is flitting by too quickly. We've been so bogged down. I'll get back to blogging more when the weather keeps me in.

    TTFN ~
    Have a beautiful holiday weekend ~
    Hugs,
    Marydon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've been so hot we've BEEN in, I will probably blog less with the weather let's us OUT. Thanks for coming by!

      Delete
  19. Such a cute post. I enjoyed it thoroughly. Have a lovely Labor Day weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I need a pair of those purple gloves for my Red Hat Group, that would make a perfect addition. You found some darling vintage items. I especially like the little Indian ceramic. Have a fun holiday.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the vintage glasses. I think I wore those during my Pink and Black period.
    Enjoy the holiday, Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  22. Too dang funny, Helen! So, is your daughter hilarious like you?
    Thanks for always making me smile.
    xo
    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks y'all! Holly - my daughter has her Dad's dry sense of humor, we'll be talking and all of a sudden she says something that breaks everyone up.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Okay, there's some weird Twilight Zone poodle thing going on here because I not only owned the weather-forecasting poodle in your previous post, but I also had one of those prize poodles. We complain about Photoshopped model photos today but back in the day women had the look for real - that cotton gal's waist is non-existent!

    ReplyDelete

Loved To Have Their Own Say In Things Ones say:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...