Monday, August 20, 2012

Take a look at Yesternook


Dear Helen Hartman,
The yard and estate sale season is dying down, at least around here.  Even my old flea market haunts look like junk bone yards. Love to know where can I go to dig up treasures now!

Dear Loved One,
If you are looking for buried treasure then has Helen got the place for you! YesternookAntiques and Collectibles


A fab shop in the former Russman Funeral Home on Goss Avenue in Louisville KY.

Yes, I know called it Yesteryear, in my last post. Secondly, stuff in a mortuary would technically be pre-buried, not buried, treasure or not. 

Puns are not an exact science, you know.  Neither are the inner workings of Helen’s mind. I do, however, know what you’re asking about now.

No, Helen is NOT wrapped right, if she were what fun would she be???

As I was saying, I know you’re asking: “If one doesn’t live in Louisville, how can one ‘check the place out’?”

Yes, Helen believes you all dress as though attending a summer tea party and use perfect grammar when speaking to yourself as you read her blog. It’s either that or embrace the possibility that some of you are sitting there in your holey underwear. Holy Underwear! Put something on right now!

The way to discover Yesternook is, of course, the same way one does so many things – vicariously through Helen Hartman! Put on your best let’s go shopping at a funeral parlor shoes (and pants if need be, we will wait) and off we go…

The owner and staff are friendly and helpful –

That’s not a sunburst behind her, she actually has a giant retro halo!

The rooms are identified by the names of the owner's dearly departed relatives.



You might think a shop in a place like this might be creepy


The creepiest thing I saw was this leering image of Captain Kangaroo - clearly he even made Little Red Riding Hood forget about the big bad wolf and start worrying about that Good Morning Captain!

But it is big and bright and actually has a nice vibe. Even nicer treasures with prices that don’t seem like somebody has been watching too much Antiques Roadshow.





Of course I had to ask if there were any ghosties hanging about. Yes, one fellow. There are reports of strange sounds in far corners, of things happening with lights…

Look close. That is an actual person at the checkout, not a ghost with a lampshade on his head.

We wondered if he wouldn’t show himself in the photos. Not so much as a stray clunk or flicker until, while in the café downstairs I took a random snap, checked the image and saw a figure of a man in the darkened inner sanctum of the powder room with an eerie warning message. A shiver ran down my spine because I knew he was talking to me!


How did he know? I WAS thinking of squeezing the Charmin! Spoooooky.




Have a Hauntingly Great Week, Y'all!
and Happy Pink Saturday!

33 comments:

  1. I wouldn't stand a ghost of a chance making it outta there alive without buying something!
    Deb
    P.S. There's a vendor at our big show called "Dead People's Stuff". Truer words were never written!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL _ I LOVE IT. I always try to think about who might have owned the things I find - sometimes with admiration sometimes with pure befuddlement.

      Delete
  2. oh poor Red Riding Hood! I would love to buy her to get her away from that creepy Captain K! speaking of creeeeepy, i wouldn't use the bathroom again, no way, i wouldn't squeeze the charmin in there for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He honestly did scare me because the room was dark so when I took the snap and looked the image showed up that I couldn't see with my eyes - loved the scare but like you,not sure I'd use the facilities!

      Delete
  3. Hello Helen:
    Wonderful! This would be an absolute Mecca to us, as possibly it is to you too.

    And in case you are unaware of this fact, please be assured that we should never dream of opening any of your posts without being correctly [whatever that actually is] dressed.

    Off to Venice this week where we shall hope to discover the Venetian equivalent of Yesternook. Sure to be there, lurking behind the Grand Canal!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my yes! I hope you find a Gondola full of treasures! I have no doubt you are always impeccably dressed no matter what you are doing, but especially for reading blogs.

      Delete
  4. I am delighted to see a road trip I could actually take; mayhap I'll encounter you wandering the aisles....the perfectly attired and coiffed woman assiduously avoiding the facilities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - I confess I often shop incognito, dressed as a frumpy middled aged bargain hunter!

      Delete
  5. That looks like a really cool place...but I couldn't take my eyes off the picture of the blue fur muff. As a child, I thought fur muffs and earmuffs were the most glamorous things on earth. I finally got a white rabbit set for Christmas one year and felt like a movie star.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't she divine? I knew some kids who had the rabbit ear muffs. So girlie!

      Delete
  6. Great place to visit. I miss Mr. Whipple and am glad to see that he is haunting someplace special- xo Diana Holey underwear? Here? Are you kidding? You mean most of your readers actually WEAR underwear? Wow- I am impressed~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bwahahaha - I'd say you set a low bar for being impressed but on second thought - I may use that as a tag line for the blog - where most of the readers wear underwear!

      Delete
  7. White gloves, fur muff and... shoes on the couch??? I will say, while it wasn't a funeral home, I actually had to leave a very old antique store once. Not sure what that vibe was, but it wasn't coming home with me! Happy Monday:@)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Been to places like that. Saw a creeping black swirl in a certain antique mall once, the staff said they do no want to hear about ghostly encounters.

      Delete
  8. As I am reading this in my pjs by the way american pickers are on picking a funeral home I say that makes me a bit creeped out.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This has no vestiges of the old purpose for the building - maybe because it's the old style where a family clearly also lived. I can't describe how light and good this place feels despite it's previous 'occupants'.

      Delete
  9. Can you actually see my underwear through your computer? I am turning it upside down, now backwards, now I am standing on my head. How come I can't see you back. My mom always told me Captain Kangaroo could see me through the TV. SIGH!!! I am completely befuddled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you see that drawing of Captain Kangaroo? I wouldn't want HIM seeing me thru the TV! Helen can't see you, she senses when you are less than ladylike though - so you keep her really busy tsking and shaking her head.

      Delete
  10. Mr. Whipple! My oh my! I haven't thought of him for so long and there he was in the Ladies Room! My stars and little hop toads! I didn't know I missed him till you showed him to us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that true - you don't think of those images that were imprinted on us through advertising or TV and then you see them and it all comes flooding back. And yet, I don't think it ever made my mom buy Charmin.

      Delete
  11. i went there not that long ago! the prices in kentucky are so great! at least compared to nashville. i bought a bunch of treasures there. i really love that cool old picture that is by the register, the long one with all the nuns and priests that is not for sale. so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't see that. Hmmmm. I did buy a nun statue with a conga drum there. Yes, their prices are so good I rarely visit without buying a bag of treasures.

      Delete
  12. your blog is a time machine... love it... :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it's also a love machine... but that's another post.

      Delete
  13. Looks like a really cool place to shop! But I have to admit I would be creeped out since it was a funeral parlour. Any sort of stuff like that gives me heebie jeebies!! I would surely not be able to work at a place like that cause I would always be scared I saw or heard something and be dialing 911 all the time. LMAO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the same - the first time I went I thought it was a one off but it really feels so bright and peaceful. Still, I do peer into corners to see if something is NOT there.

      Delete
  14. Can't help wondering what dearly departed relatives in our family would have the honor of a room named after them in a funeral-parlor-turned-antique-heaven store? We could start with dear Marvel Mate...

    ReplyDelete
  15. wow! a funeral parlor that is pretty cool- the ghosts must be happy because they have plenty of great stuff to play with. Just bummed that the shop is not closer to me! No fair! I wanna go!

    DeDe
    vintageandflea.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Helen, you make me laugh! Thank you for allowing us to live through you - kind of goes along with the whole funeral/spooky thing doesn't it?! Loved the retro halo and Mr. Whipple! Ahh, the memories! We might have to go through some grieving with the yard sales, etc winding down. On the other hand, maybe I could finally do something with the "treasures" I have bought.
    xo
    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  17. Never in all my years, I have seen an antique place in a funeral home. It definitely has a a wide choice of living things.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, what a fun post!! I think I would be a little creeped out at first...but it really does look fun and bright and full of memories! Thanks for sharing. Happy Pink Saturday!! ~Lorraine ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ha! Such fun, from Captain Kangaroo to Mr. Whipple. What a blast from the past! I love it. Thanks for stopping by Quirky Vistas today and leaving me a comment. So glad you came by!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete

Loved To Have Their Own Say In Things Ones say:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...