Thursday, September 6, 2012

RWT?


Dear Helen Hartman,
I see from your Facebook pages that you’ve had some frustrating situations arise at antique mall and flea markets of late.  Clearly, you think there is some kind of etiquette for those places that people are violating even though you seem you’d be quite ruthless about thrifting yourself.  I’d love to hear straight from the horse’s mouth - just what does constitute good manners in the flea mall?

Dear Loved One,
Helen has been accused of many things but rarely of being the part of the horse that contains the mouth!

Can you guess what this is an advert for? Yes, lady stuff. because you know that time of the month, you just want to get on a horse and ride right out of the picture!

I want to decry as false your nasty little accusation not fully founded observation about how I act when shopping but in seeing it written out am actually thinking it would make a nice logo for a T-Shirt. RWT – Ruthless When Thrifting.

You betcha we need more iron - to have the strength to wrestle treasures out of the hands of slower, more anemic shoppers.

Most of us have those moments when we sense that little angel and devil duo hovering over our shoulders whispering into our ears to urge us to behave or misbehave.

Here are Helen’s (actually bought by Helen this past weekend, despite having to cope with scads of truly awful behavior, most of it on the part of others):

Yes, Helen's angels are vintage and they look like they are up to something.


And her devils are darling - Like Helen they are much more devilish when the coffee carafe is empty!

They take turns egging her on. I’m not saying which Helen heeds most often but I will say, oh how I do love deviled eggs. 

Oh, no, 1964 advert, these are not deviled eggs in a basket. These are fresh hell in a handbasket! Of course, Helen had to share them with YOU!   

But yes, I do think there are some guidelines for shopping and selling at antique shops and flea markets. They are the same guidelines that apply everywhere.


Always dress like a giant eggplant so that people will get out of your way, leave you be and you won"t have to deal with them? 

Um, no... 

Be aware you share the planet/space with others. Life is short and it is within your power to make this moment/their lives/your spirit lighter.

For those who cannot play well with others and share the planet, Helen cordially invites you to live elsewhere.


That’s it. Everything else stems from that.
It’s something I wish I’d had the nerve to remind the antique mall staffer who nabbed the entire box of 10s of dozens of 40s and 50s paper dolls as the vendor brought them in and announced “I'm taking all of these. I’ll never sell them. I have a collection”

Mine, Mine, all MINE!

BTW the wild look in her eyes told me - "Collection" was code for call Hoarders asap. I was sad to not even get to look at them but also sad no one else would ever see them.

I wish the sellers at the big flea market I went to this weekend had known those guidelines instead of acting like shoppers were an annoyance.

The kind of woman who doesn't like just anybody touching my vintage aprons and Lefton figurines, that's what kind. Now back off and put your sticky hands in your pockets.
I wish the flea market shoppers had remembered their manners when they stopped at the opening of the booths and kept everyone else from even seeing inside until they had their good long look.

Unlike a bull in a china shop they made me feel more like a bull in canned ham can. Also like the people who made this truly weird ad (the bull is happy about canned beef???) - what were they thinking? 

We’re all in this world together. Cooperation may not get you the big score but it counts on the big scoreboard of life.

I accept this award for being the Zero King ideal. Color me tickled. grey, beige, natural, green, navy and sandune.

So you want to know how to act when thrifting? Be thoughtful. Be friendly. Be kind. And if you can’t be those – be quick because Helen is right behind you!

Yeah, no point to this, I just got her this weekend and love her.

35 comments:

  1. Who needs those paper dolls when you got that fabulous bunny girl! Great post, as always...glad to be back from vacation (not really), and reading my favorites again - Happy Thursday, Helen...Tanya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - I cannot tell you how gorgeous these paper dolls were. sigh. But I love my bunny gal!

      Delete
  2. Good tips! The planet does not revolve around us, we must share it with Helen and so many others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that. Maybe that should be my new slogan - remember you share the planet with Helen!

      Delete
  3. Hello Helen:
    Well, we should not wish to be behind you when it comes to 'thrifting' [a wonderful American, we think, term which is so superior to the clumsy English 'charity shop shopping'] as we doubt that we should stand a chance. Indeed, we shall be on our guard for anyone dressed in purple, 'egg plant', or 'aubergine' [another delightful difference] coming our way.

    It is said that if you enter a revolving door in front of a Hungarian, you will come out after him/her. Could the same possibly apply here, dear, dearest Helen?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - yes, Helen will come out ahead AND wearing your jacket.

      Delete
  4. Helen, I love all your little figurines. Some old ads are almost crazy:):) I have to be honest...canned meat creaps me out. Smiles, Susie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - me too and when they have pigs selling ham and now bulls selling beef - yikes!

      Delete
  5. Cute! LOVE the angels especially! Mmmmm juicy meat in a can, just doesn't get any better than that!! ;) Where can I find your Route 66 books?! Awesome!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost left the angels but their expressions got me. Books? Anywhere (amazon, B&N, itunes) - under my writing name - Annie Jones.

      Delete
  6. Love ALL you figurines, especially the little bunny girl! Lefton is a favorite of mine! I think I'll post your antique mall etiquette in my booth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I've been told the people who need it most won't think it's meant for them! Lefton is awesome.

      Delete
  7. Hooray! I am on my way to check them out! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. GO knock that lady into outer space, I say... But then again, maybe I should go volunteer at the Goodwill on Saturdays and get the pick of the litter...hmmm....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the one thing that kept me from complaining to the mall people about her - I would have loved to have first pick of stuff! (I wouldn't take it alllll thought) Maybe.

      Delete
  9. ooo that bunny girl!!! i love her!
    and i hate the people at estate sales who block off whole closets/tables so they can get a gooooood long look at everything before anyone else has a chance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - or who make huge piles of things then when they are ready to check out that's when they really decide what they want and what they don't. Meanwhile you've moved on thinking that great find was gone.

      Delete
  10. Curiously, whenever I go out thrifting in my standard thrifting attire (white coveralls, white biohazard face mask, protective sports eyewear) I am given wide berth at every stall, by shoppers and vendors alike. Even when I handle the merchandise the vendors step away and look at me in wide-eyed wonder. I don't know, I guess it's just my winning personality that warrants my royal treatment...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Melanie - I thought you'd be all about the eggplant outfit. Truthfully, I can see you in that hat!

      Delete
  11. I right along with Rae ... As always your write is full of chuckles & delight, Helen.

    Have a great week.

    GIVEAWAY ends 9/9, don't miss this one!!

    TTFN ~
    Marydon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope tons of people head over to http://blushingrosetoo.blogspot.com/ to join in the giveaway Marydon!

      Delete
  12. I am laughing, as always! Gotta love a shopper with an attitude- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - it just better be a GOOD attitude or face the wrath of Helen.

      Delete
  13. I love your devil candle huggers, I have angels! I remember my G-Mom-B having some but I can't remember if they were elves, angels or Santas. Your little bunny is really cute too:@)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have some reindeer, and santas too. Had to buy these because my mom had them and I LOVED them and played with them as a kid. Thanks!

      Delete
  14. I enjoyed this and can relate...as usual! I was at a thrift store and when a volunteer came in, he went straight to the movies and music section and STAYED there! I skipped it and went back before I left and he was still there...parked in front of it. I usually just figure I don't need something that bad but I do think it's odd when they don't let the shoppers look at what is for sale in the store! Bad manners are everywhere. I walk away! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too but I always want to say something to people.

      Delete
  15. I kept staring at that so-called deviled egg ad and thinking, "Why is the filling brown instead of yellow?" By the time I realized it was deviled ham, my face had contorted into one of those grossed out expressions I get when I'm changing my grandson's diaper and thinking, "Seriously, this is one his parents should be dealing with!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOW - this is what they looked like in an ad where they tried and tried to make them look yummy what mess did they look like when someone tried to make this at home? Eeuww

      Delete
  16. Maybe the beef was the bulls arch-nemesis? (Ex, should I say) or a miss behaved cow?
    It could be that that bull is really the head of cattle mafia and that the beef was his bidding...
    Love the bunny girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your theory. He is showing fellow cattle that if they cross him they will sleep with the canned hams! LOL, thanks for the new outlook.

      Delete
  17. I'm sorry you missed out on those sweet paperdolls. It's definitely something I would have wanted a peek at too. You are definitely allowed to be a devil over that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did get a peek in the box - these were breath taking, Many uncut. The saddest part to me is this was an older lady (older than me so I mean OLD) and I thought - NO one has seen these amazing dolls in decades and no one will again for a long time then someone will clear out her 'collection' and maybe just pitch them.

      Delete
  18. I put on my steel-toed boots and resort to an old-fashioned fanny pack instead of a purse to keep my hands free so that I can engage in hand-to-hand combat if necessary! Some people can just be downright rude and crazy!!! I'm not sure where etiquette has gone, but it sure isn't running loose and free without its ankle bracelet in America! Have a good weekend!!! Very funny as always!

    ReplyDelete
  19. *MmMmMm* Egg baskets all around! Pass me the pickles and the olives too. =p

    ReplyDelete

Loved To Have Their Own Say In Things Ones say:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...