Monday, October 1, 2012

Heeeeeere' Johnny!

Oct 1, 1962 - The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson first aired.  The theme song still warms my heart because when I heard it coming from the TV in my parent's bedroom I felt like everything was right with the world.

(I can't seem to get Blogger to embed the youtube video today - this is where it is. If you are like me - you already have the song embedded in your mind!)


<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/keiuXB3dJ0E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>


To commemorate let us away to Helen Hartman's Tempus Fridgadarius (Yes I am aware I may not spell it the same way each time, we're traveling in time so I have to assume that at some point one of you does something that messes with the language and therefore creates that change, it cannot be that Helen is too lazy to look up how she spells it every time!)


Mom did you buy that fridge so you could store food in case you have MORE kids?
No, honey, I bought the extra large fridge so your dad could have a place to cool off so we WON'T have more kids!

1962 - This was the cover of Ladies Home Journal Oct 1962 Camelot was still a fantasy -

Did you read the article titles? Variations on themes we still wonder about today!
We were hearing the first stirring of Women's Lib...

Rewarding and uncrowded accounting field? Who could resist?

But most advertisers didn't seem to know it yet - 

Yes, in 1962 advertisers thought women dreamed of only two things - lovely hands and sparkling dishes! Personally, I think the lady in the ad is wishing for that glass to be filled with something else that's bubbly and sparkling.

A more common job for women was

Personally, I think AVON was and is brilliant in so many ways but I think that lady is way too  enchanted by that bottle.

Those silly gals back then, so easily medicated  soothed by things like pills  talcum powder!

More lastingly than costly cologne. Ah, now we know why the Avon customer was so fascinated,  apparently cologne was a rare and costly treat back then. But who needed it when one's talc would cling more lovingly?
Kinda makes ya want to stay back in those days of soap and rose scents, right?
Well, let Helen dissuade you of that right now. It wasn't all dishes and deadend jobs for ladies then, you know. Housewives in 1962 had kids to feed and these kids had high expectations!

Beans N Wieners, y'all. On real plates with real forks, because Mama needs her dish washing wish fix! 
No wonder housewives back then were just about ready to break out of their mold!

They had to break out of their mold - these recipes were killing them, not the food, the having to wrestle down their families to force them to eat this stuff!
Whew, all this has Helen's head spinning! Cue the Carson music and let's head back to 2012 - I sure hope you all behaved back then and didn't make a faux pas that might mess with Helen's spelling here in the future. If you find any so-called misstakes, you only have yourselfs to blame!

28 comments:

  1. Helen, I love all the pictures and your crazy sense of humor . Some of those molded things look plain scary. Yikes. Smiles, Susie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They, do don't they? And the deal is I did not heighten the color on that ad! Yum!

      Delete
  2. Hello Helen:
    First, there is absolutely no comparison between your frigidarius and ours. Put simply, yours has food in it and ours is the home to a light bulb most of the time and precious little else!

    Second, oh those 1960s. The days of Minis on the road and Minis on the body. Good things came in small packages in those days!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps you do not have a Frididarius but a Light Bulb Abodious Maximus! I do know a lot of small packages in those days went on large contents - not so pretty!

      Delete
  3. Fortunately or unfortunately I remember those - loved them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I am wondering what you remembered. Minis? Weinies? Awful ads? All of the above? Helen will be pondering this for a while.

      Delete
  4. I wish I had me some Tranquil-izer! I loved Johnny too! I like Jay but Johnny was America's comedian. He was hilarious without resorting to sexual jokes, his site gags were impromptu and Ed was right there to help. There were times that I laughed so hard I cried watching the Tonite Show. Not anymore... That was a GREAT Trip down Memory Lane; thanks for taking me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same way - late night TV just isn't the same since Johnny left - and he left a LOOOOOONG time ago.

      Delete
  5. LOVED the beans and wieners ad. Looks like a total of 3 kids and 1 mom with enough food for at least 15 more people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah and TWO of those kids are the neighbors!

      Delete
  6. Ads like this remind me why I was a braless feminist by 1968. Madison Avenue really did make us look like a bunch of airheads whose highest aspirations were soft hands, sparkling glasses...with a little something-something on the side to tranquilize us.

    I think maybe the mom in the beans and weiners ad was so "tranquil" that she forgot she only had three kids!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She remembered but that does explain why so many of us baby boomers struggle with our weight - no clue as to what a real portion size looks like!

      Delete
  7. I remember those days well. My mom had two martinis while fixing dinner. Maybe it was because her mother was a member of the Temperance League, or maybe it was because her four children were driving her crazy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - My mom wasn't much of a drinker but she wouldn't have thought twice if she popped over to a friend's and they had drinks. I think being perfect housewives was harder on folks than it looked.

      Delete
  8. Thanks for the inspiration! I think we'll have beans 'n weiners tonight and watch some old Johnny Carson tapes!!! Now where is that VCR? Fun post!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - old Johnny might be better than new whatever is on today! Helen may have single handedly caused a run on beans and wienies today!

      Delete
  9. Love that yellow fridge!! I remember our Avon lady came once a week. She carried a ginormous blue bag. I miss things like that. I SO miss Johnny Carson. you are right it was comforting to hear each night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And she'd leave those teeny lipsticks and my mom would let me have one.

      Delete
  10. Um... Should psychopathic killers be paroled?... On the COVER of The Ladies Home Journal!?!?! Tell me you read the article and they said "no"... Please!:@)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - I didn't read it but now I have to go back and see what the conclusion was!

      Delete
  11. My Mom wasn't big on serving beans and wieners. I'm thankful for that! I do remember the Avon lady stopping at our house. My sisters and I would play with the lipstick samples and perfume samples that Mom didn't want. I had an exciting childhood. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah a childhood in the land of free samples! I know there were door to door salespeople but I don't remember anyone but the Avon lady, and she was usually a friend or neighbor.

      Delete
  12. I am not sure if the fact that the advertisers thought that all women had in their heads at the time was soft hands and dish soap is worse or better than the fact that these days the advertisers thing that the minute we hit that time of the month all we want to do is devlope` jumps in tight, white pants...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - yes, those are so interesting, one day I may do a whole piece on the let's wear white and do active stuff ads!

      Delete
  13. Glamorous gel-cookery? Tell me more!

    Great ads and commentary as ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - gel cookery is an art unto itself, of course.

      Delete
  14. I love this post - now I know why my Grandmother always had cans of pretty talcum powder in the bathroom...Tranquil-izing...right before the beans and weiners! XOXO Tanya

    ReplyDelete

Loved To Have Their Own Say In Things Ones say:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...