Monday, December 3, 2012

December Birthdays, Not just the Big One.

Dear Helen Hartman,
That time of year again. No, not the holiday season - the holiday/birthday season! I never gave it much thought until my daughter was born a few days before Christmas. It’s not bad now that she’s young but once she starts going to school I know she will ask for a party like the other kids. Everyone is already rushed and cash strapped to try to cram in a party for my kid sounds like a recipe for disappointment. Love to hear your advice on how to handle birthdays this time of year.

Dear Loved One,
Helen handles birthdays this time of year the same way she handles birthdays in general

The same way she handles EVERY day - by expecting people to treat her like the pretty, pretty princess she is!

But a recipe for disappointment?

Canned fruit, fire, a detached hand holding a ladle in the air. What could go wrong?
You’ve been tasting Helen’s cooking again, haven’t you?

Fruit Nog Pie? That's Hubby Hartman's nickname for Helen when we were dating!

Actually Helen has a December birthday – and never had a real birthday party as a child. And Helen turned out just fine.

Don't judge me. You'd have done the same if you knew what he said about Helen's Flaming Fruit Nog Tart Cocktail 

Some people try having half birthdays – but that sticks a kid’s party in the middle of summer when people are on vacation and you don’t have a classroom of captive gift givers who owe you big because you came to their stupid party and brought them a pretty comb and mirror set and a book about the Monkees friends.

I never even found out - Who had the button? 
Let’s face it, for kids that isn’t a whole lot better than a December birthday.

Then there is the infamous – birthday/Christmas gift combo – it’s 2, 2, 2 gifts in one package. Usually wrapped in Christmas paper.

An actual gift as I wrapped it last Christmas. Every year I try to wrap my son's gifts like Christmas images. 

You know, a lot of the time it really is for both, because the kind who pulls this probably was going to cheap out and pull a no gifter anyway, so the way I see it you’re ahead of the game.
A paper bag reindeer and some fruit. It's a Christmas birthday miracle!

Hubby Hartman and Darling Daughter Hartman also have birthdays this time of year. Here’s how we’ve solved it – we plan special events so they fall on Birthdays – putting the tree up, seeing a Christmas event, so that the emphasis is on the celebration more than getting a gift.

Because if you don't film it, Instagram it, Facebook it and YouTube it, it doesn't count.

It’s a bummer, I know but on the good side – if you love Christmas as Helen does, people tend to give you Christmas stuff for your birthday, saving you a lot of time buying decorations. 


31 comments:

  1. Are the ornies in your last picture your collection...or a mag pic? Inquiring minds want to know, because they look suspiciously like my collection of kitschy Christmas stuff. That tree plate in the center...I actually left one just like it at the thrift store because I was too lazy to stand in line and pay $1.50. Now I hate myself! =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MINE! And if I had been at the thrift store the plate would have been mine - My plate is a family heirloom since before I was born.

      Delete
  2. Dear Helen, Today is my daughter's birthday.When she was a little girl, we would try to decorate the tree on her birthday, she loved it...but she always had a birthday separate from Christmas. Today, I took her some chocolates and a pot of chili plus gifts. She will not have to cook on her birthday.:):) Smiles to you, Susie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfect! My daughter's bday is Saturday - will take her out to lunch and try not to irritate her too much!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. With that first picture I thought you were going to say - Helen handles birthdays this time of year the same way she handles birthdays in general - BY WEARING HER TIARAS! *chuckles to self*

    Come on over and link in to my Countdown to Kitschmas!

    thriftshopcommando.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG _ I wish I'd thought of that! The good news is that someday I WILL! I am totally coming by - I love your blog.

      Delete
  5. Yep- December birthday here, too. I never had a "real" party and was always told that my birthday wouldn't be very "big" because Christmas was only a few days away. We always cut the tree on my birthday. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! But I really didn't mind. Daughter doesn't mind as long as we give her what she wants!

      Delete
  6. I always thought a birthday near Christmas would be kind of fun! I think it's a great idea to to something special that involves Christmas on your special day. And Happy Birthday to you, whenever it is this month!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love you outlook Helen. My SIL hates her b-day Jan 2. She always felt jipped - even to this day she's going to be 45!

    It's all in the presentation!

    Leann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet she feels even more jipped that you told her age!

      Delete
  8. My hubby's is a couple of days before Christmas but mine is even worse...it's right AFTER Christmas. Do you think that's worse? What's your opinion? heehee! It's funny that you would have this today. We went to the Hallmark store yesterday and bought birthday cards. We have several family birthdays this month...more than any other month of the year! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do too! Guess it's true that in spring a young man's fancy turns to love - and in winter it turns to how to take care of a family! After Christmas would be bad, everyone is over the whole celebration thing.

      Delete
    2. How sweet...you took MY side! heehee! I really don't have it so bad though...my family is not much into gift giving at any time of year! So I shop on Etsy..for myself! I'm old enough....I can do that! lol Hugs!

      Delete
  9. My mom's birthday was December 15, and we always put the tree up to celebrate it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We used to put the tree up on my birthday in mid Dec and when I was a kid people thought that was waaaay too early!

      Delete
  10. I think Marsha Brady ended up with Davey Jones' button - Marsha, Marsha, MARSHA! Happy Early Birthday, Helen and family! Thanks for the laugh tonight - Tanya

    ReplyDelete
  11. December birthday here, too! I celebrate that but rarely bother with Xmas! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that's another way to go - imagine all the hub bub is just for YOU!

      Delete
  12. Birthday blessings for your household! That stove wrapped gift is genius! Love your Christmas collection at the bottom of the post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - I pick a theme and wrap his gifts, one time they were giant Santa things - a giant letter, a North Pole. Another time they were peeking into things - windows, tv sets, aquariums. Am running out of ideas.

      Delete
  13. No December birthdays here - but happy birthday to you and your daughter! sandie

    ReplyDelete
  14. SO funny!!! December would be kind of a sucky time to have a birthday as a child, I guess. Mine is in June. Back in the old days when I was a kid, school did not recess until the 1st week in June, so I could still hold the kids hostage by insisting on early RSVPs. Worked like a charm! :-) You didn't say exactly when your birthday is this month, but either Happy Belated Birthday or Happy Early Birthday. Hmmmm...that's just adding salt to the wound, isn't it? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. We have my Dad's Birthday on the 10 and my Grandma's on the 15.... 10 days later CHRISTMAS!!!! *WOOHOOO*
    December is a busy month in my family.

    Happy Birthday to your Daughter!
    =D

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh you hit the nail on the head for us December girls! Christmas paper on birthday presents, no parties because Mom said, "It's like asking for a gift!" So what!? No cake because 'we already have too many sweets around here'. Ok, pile the cookies in a stack and put a candle in it! You got me a 'birthday-Christmas' present? Thanks a lot ya cheap skate, next time it's your birthday I'll give you half now, half in December and see if you like it! No, I'm not bitter. Really, it took me two years of therapy but I'm not bitter...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Many thanks to linking in to my Countdown to Kitschmas.

    Cheers to a fab New Year!

    thriftshopcommando.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Loved To Have Their Own Say In Things Ones say:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...