Monday, January 28, 2013

It Happened to Helen This Week!

Did you ever find something you thought was one thing then got it home and found it was another? 


You should be able to guess what this illustration was used to sell - when pigs fly.
What? You don't give a flying fig what it's for?
Well, then clearly you've mastered the difference between the two.
For everyone else: Ethyl gasoline. Apparently it's made from figs... or bacon. Maybe I missed the point.

It's one thing when it happens with every day items like bringing home DIET Root Beer instead of the real thing.


Don't believe that. Helen KNOWS real beer (because she is so freedom-loving).
Nana is serving it for Thanksgiving here - how else could she endure an entire day with her family?

But what a delight when what you brought home thinking you'd sand down the rough edges, apply your makeover skills and (if you didn't expose it to the harsh glare of light) have something you could live with turns out to be a treasure in disguise! 


After all, that's how I got Hubby Hartman!

Helen had become obsessed (okay, who is messing with the spellcheck around here? It has twice wanted to correct this to Obese!)


Maybe spellcheck knows you never have to worry about keeping candy fresh, or that the 'active youngsters' you buy that 5 pound box for are adults who don't eat sugar.

... have become obsessed with the idea of creating a piece of gravel art, so went looking for inspiration, maybe even a foundation I could pour Mod Podge over and trowel gravel over to make it pretty.


Not unlike the way you 'put your face on' each day, right?

So when I spotted a couple of prints, that looked like shades of beige and brown with grimy frames I decided to bring them home. If I changed my mind, I could always leave them by the curb and forget 'em. 


That's always been my dating philosophy.
Of course, all women want to be with me, all men want to BE me.
At least that's what the bourbon in my briefcase tells me.

You can guess what happened next. As soon as the sun hit the prints brown glinted like gold, beige became pearl. The frames are perfect and the prints...


Perfection - I already owned the dancers, dogs, lamp, etc and one of the shelves - also found the double shelf this weekend and now it's all at home in my home.

Yes, once again Helen has proved she is a Junquin' Jenious (take that spellcheck!). Perfect mid mod prints - all they needed was a good cleaning and a place to shine!

There is a lesson in all this, of course, but Helen doesn't want to deprive you of the chance to uncover that treasure for yourself. 


Sounds like someone is full of prunes!
Just admit you've already run off following your next obese- I mean obsession!


Happy Treasure Hunting, Loved Ones!


Joining Wow us Wednesday!

37 comments:

  1. That wall ROCKS - PERFECTION!!! You ARE a Jenious, in so many ways! And your diet Root Beer story...when we first moved to Vegas, with it's rather large "MO" (and that's not Missouri) influence through town (believe it or not - I know - in VEGAS. We were shocked,too..."Not that there's anything wrong with that"), I went looking for root beer and could not find it amongst the usual carbonated beverages. No. IT WAS IN THE ALCOHOL SECTION (because evividently when you label something BEER, it's alcohol)...my favorite section in the store!

    Happy Monday, Helen - you continue to amaze with your decorating flair! The wall is bad ass! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Root Beer in the booze? Moi suspects it is not so much a moral choice as an excuse - if you spot a fellow tea-totaler in that aisle you can claim you came for the Root beer! That's Jenious!

      Delete
  2. Helen, All the artwork and figurines look smashing together. Perfect combination. Funny how we look at things. I have brought things home and thought..omg, why?? Then other times, I can't stop smiling, I am so happy with myself. xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I bring a dud home I run to ebay to see if it's worth more than I paid for it - if it is I think, I'm not tasteless, I'm smart.

      Delete
  3. I can see why you're so happy with your amazing find! You've put together a fantastic wall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - coming from such an expert on mid mod that makes me smile!

      Delete
  4. Oh, I love these and the everything works perfectly together. I posted about thrifting this morning! Were you in line with me? haha! We could have had some fun this morning! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loved your thrifting post. I don't know if I would have waited that long for the shape these things were in at the start.... hmmm, another lesson?

      Delete
  5. Now I'm in the mood to go thrifting! I scored some good stuff last time...at least I like it. Your wall looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing like a junkin' score to inspire the desire to hit the thrifts!

      Delete
  6. Earl asks, are they saying pigs are gassy? Of course he can only shrug if they are:@)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of Earl with that pic. I have no clue what they were trying to say.

      Delete
  7. What a fun post-I am obese...er...obsessed with all things vintage-including all these old ads! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My house looks obese after all the junk I've brought home. I just can't seem to put it on a diet.

      Delete
  8. That is quite the super fun collection of objects d'art! Nice finds.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Helen:
    Totally off subject [but what do you expect?], where did you find that wonderful pair of dancers? We should be very happy to discover we had taken them home rather than, say, a pound of sausages or tinned meat for the cat. They are superb!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they lovely? Just in a junk shop. I am thinking of naming them but so far, nothing has stuck.

      Delete
  10. What a fine collection, set off to perfection with the groovy green wall! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - I love my groovy green wall, inspired by a wall in Forbidden Planet!

      Delete
  11. I can already tell I'm going to have that wall repeating on me like a delicious lobster dinner for two for the next fortnight. xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - It's not for everyone, I know but I love it. It's hard to be in a bad mood with that glowing back at you.

      Delete
  12. Still laughing at the spell check ~ god bless it! Love your wall.....see....junk really DOES COMPLETE you....and your wall :) Hope we can score big this weekend....who really wants to watch football on Sunday....junkin' is wayyyyy better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, gotta do Superbowl, just for the ads! But that doesn't mean we won't junk all day before the big game!

      Delete
  13. What fun, a great collection! I'm new here and like your blog! Love your sense of humor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - your blog is delicious in more ways than one!

      Delete
  14. Holy guacamole I love that green wall and all of those treasures! Thanks for the aunty advice! Sarah xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - I love my wall too. It's just paint, you can always change it!

      Delete
  15. Wow those are gorgeous and so is that wall and shelf you have some gorgeous things. I love seeing other people's vintage homes and bits and bobs. dee x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coming from someone with such a lovely vintage home that means a lot.

      Delete
  16. Wow! I love love love the green color on the wall and your thrifty wall collection! Looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - loving the love as it was sort of a sore point with Hubby as he was afraid his family would disapprove. That's just a bonus!

      Delete
  17. LOVE it! Your paint is super fun too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love your vintage graphics!!

    Thanks for stopping by!! Your comment made me smile!!

    hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those pictures are AWESOME!
    So are your dancers, dogs and EVERFIN ELSE.
    =P

    ReplyDelete

Loved To Have Their Own Say In Things Ones say:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...