Tuesday, January 22, 2013

More Bangs for Your Buck?

Dear Helen Hartman -
I do not love the first lady's new hairstyle.I can just hear my Nana saying "She's such a pretty girl, she should get her hair off her face and show it." 
Since Mrs. O will never ask me, or my Nana, for hair style tips this would be no big deal but now a couple of friends are thinking of getting the same style. I am already picturing me wanting to push their hair back while talking to them. I won't say anything ugly to them, no matter how ugly I think their hair is, but what if they ask be ahead of time if they should do it. Should I be honest?

Dear DNLtFLOTUSNB One (does not love the first lady of the US's new bangs)

Helen is not going to do another post about hair. 
You seem to be a fan of honestly so let's try a little... should YOU really be giving advice to your friends about their appearance? I mean, Helen loves you and thinks you are beyond adorable but I have seen some of your candid and older photos. In Other Words...


 Let she who is without fashion sins cast the first opinion. (yes, they are All me)

Even if you do have a record of impeccable taste and stunning good looks, handing out grooming advice only seems like you are saying that others lack what you have. 


If giving hair tips were a good idea don't you think Cary Grant would have taken Frank Sinatra aside and said, "Frankie, Frankie. Frankie, that hair 'do' is more of a hair 'don't'.

In hair as in love, there are some mistakes you've gotta make for yourself, Loved Ones. 


She knew he smoked, had a wandering eye and spent an unnatural amount of time with his hand in his pocket but none of her friends dared tell her about his love of wearing mascara and trying on strange women's hats. She learned that the hard way.


Why put that out there and risk having it come between you and your friend? 

Besides if your friends make poor choices with their hair, then you can always be the prettiest one!


Leave that kind of thing to Nana, who, by the way, is no fashion icon herself.

In my day kids got their hair done at the dog groomer and we LIKED it.

30 comments:

  1. Hello Helen:
    Rarely is absolute honesty the best policy as far as we can see. People only really want their own views confirmed rather than an alternative suggestion being given, especially when it comes to hairdos and clothes. No, if friendship is to be kept, then bobs, bangs and bald patches are never to be mentioned!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bangs are awesome! I've had bangs since I was in kindergarten and they look great. Or wait...maybe everyone has just been too polite to tell me! : D
    I agree though - never mention someones' fashion choices even if they're antiquated or unattractive. I DO worry now that everyone will be telling me that I have "Michelle Obama" hair when I've been rocking this look for 40 years now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - have had bangs my whole life too, as evidenced. My one attempt to get rid of them resulted in my mother telling me I looked like "That poor Janis Joplin girl" (I don't think Mom knew Janis had shuffled off the mortal coil but I was never sure, maybe she meant I looked like I'd passed away).

      Delete
  3. Only you could find that picture of Frank Sinatra and perfectly tie it in to one of your hilarious posts!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I'd like to say it happened that smoothly. I had that pic just in a mix and suddenly it dawned on me - he has BANGS!

      Delete
  4. I better not get in on this discussion! My hair is out of control. Someone make an appointment for me! I need my bangs trimmed! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You won't hear a word from me. I think you look peachy!

      Delete
  5. Always the prettiest one, Helen! You're killin' me with the Frank picture this morning. I have a dear friend that actually got bangs last weekend...I was the one telling her how great they looked, while she was the one pushing them off her forehead! And now, I just looked up here on the comments and find the Janis Joplin reply - made me spit coffee on my computer screen! You're a PEARL, for sure! Thanks for the laugh - off to find a towel! Happy Tuesday - Tanya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I confess, I hadn't just ditched the bangs but also had braided my hair so it was wavy. I did miss a chance to have ol Blue Eyes saying of his hair - I did it my way!

      Delete
  6. I am guilty of a life-long bangs obsession...I think someone told me I had "too much forehead" or something. All I know is that I have spent my entire life covering up the hideousness that is my forehead. When I finally decided to let my forehead show...it was criss-crossed with hideous wrinkles that even botox couldn't erase. So when I go to Great Clips...I get more bangs for my bucks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too - it's a forehead thing. I may even have a Fivehead!

      Delete
  7. LOL! Thanks for the laughs, Helen. I've worn bangs most of my life. I'll keep them as long as I have hair because they help hide the wrinkles. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have wrinkles, I have sags... to hide them I may have to grow a beard. This may not be as unlikely as you'd think!

      Delete
  8. Helen, We should form a hair club for women...I know I have worn my hair just about the same styles as all your photos. I just never made the big teased hair days...too busy taking care of babies< no time for hair. xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had biggish hair with a perm but mostly I was a kid in the 60s and a busy mom in the 80s, so missed high hair too.

      Delete
  9. I thought Mrs. O looked great! But then again I always say my hair is proof that God has a sense of humor:@)

    ReplyDelete
  10. No, I will not discuss the hair disasters from my past...I might cry.

    ReplyDelete
  11. SO funny! I have worn bangs for as long as I can remember. I love them, but not on the First Lady. She was much more attractive with her hair off her face. So I guess I'm in agreement with Nana. I have committed many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many hair sins in my younger days (can you say "Angela Davis"?), but I wasn't the wife of our nation's leader, so....! :-) I never did Jamaican holiday cornrows or Rasta dreads, but I sported that "That Girl"/Mary Richards look for about 5 more years than I should have! Your photos are darling! I see we visited the same eye glass frame store! :-) Great post!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I adored the Mary Richard's Hair, I was always more of a Rhoda. My mom wanted me to have brown frames because they were 'practical' and always thought wire rims were too 'hippie' but didn't fight me on them.

      Delete
  12. I'm loving the First Lady's new 'do! Other than that, I'll keep my hair advice to myself ~ I'm waaaay to busy trying to control my white-girl afro!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hair, it should be added to that sex, politics, religion list of things not to ask others about!

      Delete
  13. I hadn't seen her hair so I googled it. AND I like it ALOT! But of course I am a bangs/fringe girl myself sooooo that just goes without saying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And on you it looks adorable! (I like it on her too - every woman should take chances with her hair now and then!)

      Delete
  14. Top photo-middle picture. WHAT HAPPENED TO YOUR BANGS? Just wondering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MY MOM! I probably squirmed mid snip. I usually did.

      Delete
  15. This is one of the first things I've ever loved about her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - well, winning people over one hair style at a time, huh?

      Delete

Loved To Have Their Own Say In Things Ones say:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...