Monday, February 4, 2013

Let Them Eat Catfish!


Dear Helen Hartman,
I would love you forever if you could make “the media” stop talking about that poor football player who got fooled by a fake online sweetheart..
Everyone I know (online and off) thought it was vaguely interesting for about 2 seconds and was over it. But “the media"... and one person... can't let it go.  Can’t mention her name (hint turn WOW upside down) but she is now sure no one online is who they say they are and I am in constant danger of being ‘catfished’. If “the media” would just shut up I think she would eventually get back to trying to get me to eat better and do something with my hair.

Dear Loved (and not on the condition that you do something for me therefore I win at love and even as I type am doing the Superiority Shuffle) One,
What is so wrong with meeting people on the web? That’s the only place you’ll find Helen.


You mean when you're not stripped down to your pastey white skin lying around on a Navy ship
on family visitation day waiting for some savvy seaman
to bring you a Harvey Wallbanger?

Though I do marvel that THIS is the thing you are doing that has your mother worried. Does she not know about the time you…


Oh, that's right. I promised never to mention that again... at least not after your check cleared. 


Helen has been trying to get her children into online dating lately because I read once that everyone in the world longs for one thing – to know somebody would be looking for them if they were late coming home. Helen needs other people looking out for her kids so she can take a break.


Because Helen has important stuff to do. Starting with a hot date with the invisible man. Ahem, I said HOT date, not HAT date!

I do agree, though, that “the media” has blown the situation way out of proportion. Helen suspects this is because the people in charge of making these programming decisions simply do not live in the same world as the rest of us. Tres Marie Antoinette, n’est pas?


There're no people like show people like no people we know ----
so why are they telling us what 'the average person can't stop talking about'?

 How would they know? 


The reality is people in the virtual world are a mess and they get up to all sorts of stuff that you have to watch out for. That’s true in the ‘real world’, too, by the way.  And probably even in your own family.


"Probably?  She ain't met my Uncle Alice, has she, Moe?"

Helen’s advice about people online, then, is the same advice she had for her kids when they were little and she was trying to teach them about the world. Don’t be scared, be smart.


Don't let just anyone take you for a ride!

I suspect your irritation with your flipped out (over?) WOW is that in her fretting over this, you get the message that she doesn’t think you are smarter than a catfish. Helen knows that’s not true. You were smart enough to write Helen, after all, so you must be brilliant. Par Excellence! 


Reward yourself for your good sense!
As for the media’s obsession with this story? Let them eat catfish.

29 comments:

  1. Hello Helen:
    Well, we think that some of the best people we know are online. After all, you and we make three to start with!!! Reality can be very overrated and, as you say, just as scary as the virtual world.

    Never did care for Catfish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true. many fish in the sea, many are stars and many are sharks but they are definitely not all catfish!

      Delete
  2. I've met several people from the blogosphere face-to-face, and they have all been delightful people. I've never understood why some folks are so scared of "people on the Internet." There were con artists long before there was any such thing as the Internet. All it takes is some good common sense to tell the good guys from the bad guys. You're only as vulnerable as you allow yourself to be.

    There's something about the Manti Te'o thing that still doesn't exactly ring true. Maybe the media won't let it go because they don't think the whole story has been told yet. Frankly, though, I don't care if he was gullible and got duped or if he set up the whole thing to get attention. Either way, it's just not that interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I think he probably suspected before it all played out and maybe enjoyed the drama of it all then was stuck in a pickle. Pickles are not good places to make sound decisions!

      Delete
  3. Hey, that first pictures isn't vintage, it's my era! How did I miss out on getting invited aboard a navy ship for a Harvey Wallbanger, Helen? More importantly, I HAD that bathing suit but wonder how much I missed out by not being a blonde?

    Our daughter met a man online. We were terrified we'd never see her again but instead went to their wedding two years later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - see you never can tell! People used to meet as pen pals or on party lines! I just couldn't figure out why the waiter was in navy whites?

      Delete
  4. Well I don't follow the football DHH, but I tell my children at LEAST once a day that "truth is stranger than fiction". One that note, I hope one day someone will have the sense to make a movie documenting the life of a bikini-waxer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL _ that will only happen if that bikini waxer becomes a media darling and they wont' let go of the story until long after we've all moved on!

      Delete
  5. I, personally, think the media should turn their attention to you so we can all be overwhelmed by wonderfulness and gobsmacked by intelligence!

    I've been on a Navy ship but was never offered a Harvey Wallbanger; I wuz robbed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe if I did something stupid... wait, done that. Over and over again. Guess it's not to be. bring on more Harvey Wallbangers!

      Delete
  6. Im afraid im not sure what you are discusssing today having never heard of the media story you are referring to. But i do agree that the internet can be a wondeful place as long as your sensible. dee x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such is the blessing of not having American talk shows! They tend to find a story and run it into the ground. Being sensible is NOT their strong suit. :)

      Delete
  7. A PERFECT start to my day...I love the way you cruise, Helen!!! You truly are my hero. As for the media, I think MOST of them were "born with a trumpet in their throat" (what a spot-on description of poor Ethel). "Don't let anyone take you for a ride" - sage advice from a savvy interneter. Catfish schmatfish! Happy Harvey Wallbanger Tuesday, Helen...Tanya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I have the orange juice and vodka, I just need the Galliano!

      Delete
  8. my 89 year old "WOW" thinks the internet is evil! I love all the evil people I have met face to face. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. "Uncle Alice"! Bwahahahahahahahaha!!! That's pretty good! The thing is, the Internet is only as dangerous as we let it be. Using the old noodle might be the best way to keep us from getting into a jam and getting "catfished." (Wow...that was a lot of food references for one sentence!!) I feel bad for that kid. He's young and naive. We were all there once. The Internet, however, wasn't, so the media outlets need to cut him some slack and move on to the next non-story. After all, who knows exactly what we would have done at that age? :-) Have a great week, and party on, Garth!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am SOOOOOO thankful that the Internet didn't come into full bloom when I was young and foolish - (now that I'm old and foolish I don't care so much!)oh the unwise things I might have done!

      Delete
  10. Thanks for the laugh, as always. I thought I would try listening to the morning news on television. Oops, big mistake. Talk about out of touch. Love the bench seat with the "hat date" still wish they made those, nudge nudge, wink wink.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I ever owned a car with a full bench seat. Yep, the news isn't really all that newsy anymore.

      Delete
  11. I agree! Too bad the media doesn't make more out of good old human interest stories. They must think that this IS the new human interest type story. Thanks for making me laugh! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I got my wish and they changed to constantly talking about Beyonce causing the blackout at the Super Bowl!

      Delete
  12. I still can't believe anyone was that gullible. Dang! I mean, that's safe sex overboard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - at Helen's age safe sex means no sex after cabbage.

      Delete
  13. I want to know how in the world did they come up with the word Catfished to describe what happened?

    I know 2 people who met online and are having a wonderful marriage?? surprised me when i found this out LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good question! I think a lot of people have met happily online, found love and friendship.

      Delete
  14. I know a few couples that met on line, married and doing great. You just never know, but I would not want to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks very much for your large information .And knowledge full description . I think it is Sus a topic that many kinds of people face many problems. thanks for this.
    meeting people,

    ReplyDelete

Loved To Have Their Own Say In Things Ones say:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...