Tuesday, March 5, 2013

A Blast from the Past?

Loved Ones  - after the link misadventure and life getting wacky Helen has been doing some thinking about blogging and what to do... so decided to consider some of my own advice - from an answer given a year ago titled To Blog or Not to Blog! 
I cannot see NOT blogging but I also wonder if its time to make some changes. Anyone else feel/have felt this way? How do you keep up with blogging and still attend to the rest of life? How has blogging affected your life (it's made mine so much better because I've found so many amazing people through their blogs and given me a chance to just have fun in an otherwise stress filled life)

Dear Helen Hartman,
Friends say I should start a blog but the idea overwhelms me. Not the work, the worry. You see, I’ve tried Facebook and Pinterest and Twitter. Started off with big plans and threw myself into them and, well, I guess I sort of missed. When I didn’t get loads of followers or retweets or likes, I gave up. I’m afraid blogging will be the same way. Love to know how you approach social media.

Dear Loved and Lost Interest One,
As with many things in life the answer is right in front of your eyes. You just need to look at it with a new perspective.

Gloria didn't want to look like everyone else, but maybe sticking her wig on sideways was NOT the way to go.
  
The answer lies in the words you have chosen. It’s called SOCIAL media because it’s about being part of a society, creating and expanding your community. 

Whenever her husband Gordan called Gloria his Kitchen Queen, she told him to "Kiss my Royal Cheek". Unlike her fabulous online friends, Gordan just didn't get her sense of humor. 
Too many people read the term a different way – social MEdia. They want to use it as a megaphone to shout about themselves instead of a telephone to communicate with others.

Mitzi couldn't stop at giving her .02 cents, not when she could get everyone all lathered up with a nickel's worth of her bubbly blather.  Happy Pink Saturday.
 
Helen has been guilty of this in the past but even she found the me me me lifestyle exhausting. You know how it goes, you tweet, you post, you pin, you upload to You Tube and then you start running back to see if you got any comments or repins, views. And before you know it the day has passed, wasted with all that checking, checking, checking.

I always suspected Helen had a checkered past

Back in the old days people had to actually seek one another out and interact with each other in order to get personal feed back.


You can hide the card table but you can't hide from the prying eyes of the Thursday afternoon Bridge Club.  When the game is gossip, these girls never pass.

Now we expect instant gratification, instant recognition, instant fame. Our fondest wish is to go viral.

In my day if you said :Kathy has gone viral" the church ladies made casseroles to take to the house with condolences
  Everybody craves a little validation now and then. That’s normal. But to use social media in hopes of sustaining that need may be setting yourself up for a fall.
 
And that was the moment she stopped developing her personality and concentrated her efforts on being pretty. Everything was working well until she decided to have a chemical peel and her all her beauty went down the drain.
It’s just not realistic. Oh, I know you’re thinking Helen has gone all preachy and high and mighty on you.

Well, HIGH anyway
 
She doesn’t mean to be holier than thou. 

Even if she IS because, let's face it we both know the kind of shenanigans YOU'VE been up to!
 
If you WANT to blog, Helen says do it.

Other people might tell you that your idea of fixing up an old trailer and turning it into an all night diner is for the birds.  And it would be - because this is a bird house. What were you thinking?

Helen says do it to a lot of things, but then Helen is starved for entertainment and loves to watch people get themselves into a pickle – so she can rush to the rescue and, um, unpickle them! If that’s wrong then I don’t want to hear about it from people who were foolish enough to follow my advice in the first place

The key is to social media is do it because you have a desire to participate in the world, not because you think the world should revolve around you.   

Unless you are a cat. Then, of course, the world DOES revolve around you. Carry On.

Remember it’s not about getting loads of people to follow you. It’s about heading in the right direction. 

If you rent a car to get you headed in the right direction, get one with all the bells and whistles. This one came with a cat folder - you've seen my cat, you won't be surprised to learn she is a bit bent.

The most important thing isn't that people "LIKE" you, it's that you are liking the people you meet along the way and feel like you are offering something to them as well.

My motto is: It is never a wasted effort to lift a weary heart. That's my aim when I blog and as long as I feel I tried to do that, it's worth it.


65 comments:

  1. Amen to that! And if you are trying to blog to please others, you'll fail mightily. You must enjoy what you're posting more than anyone else or your blog will just be a dead link before you know it. I wish you had your own talk show, dear Helen Hartman. Along with slide presentation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL now that would be a horror show for sure! But thanks so much for saying so. I totally agree with your thoughts on blogging, thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  2. Here here i agree whole heartly with you ;-)) Great post, dee x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I remember thinking when I first started my blog, "Hey, this is so much fun that I'm going to keep doing it, even if nobody reads what I write." And, at first, that's really how it was...LOL To be honest, I have no idea what will be a popular post and what won't be...and some do get more comments than others. I could drive myself nuts trying to figure out why, but it's so much easier to just write something from the heart, hit publish and then let it be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Preach is, sister Dana! Write from your heart hit publish and move on!

      Delete
  4. Good advice! I'm off to make a call to the salon; I'm thinking of trying one of those nifty hairstyles!

    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just step outside today - the wind will blow your hairdo all sorts of ways and then just spray it until it stays.

      Delete
  5. Very good advice, Ms. Hartman! I refuse to have a Facebook page, because I don't need and I don't WANT to know what people are doing every minute of the day. I say, let there be some mystery in life! And I have no desire to tweet or re-tweet either. Give me a blog, where I can visit people who are creative and inspire me on a daily basis!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you have such a wonderful blog too! I just do not get twitter.

      Delete
  6. Blogging, of all things, should be approached in a spirit of fun. Hey, if it makes you happy, then that is all that really matters ~

    thriftshopcommando.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by and saying so!

      Delete
  8. I'll drink to that! You SO rock, Ms. Hartman!!! Happy Weekend - be safe, however you spend it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - have a fabulous weekend yourself, especially if you are drinking to me!

      Delete
  9. Dear Helen Hartman: You crack me up every Pink Saturday! Your posts are so creative and funny. Keep em rollin sister! You always put smiles on our faces. Happy Pink Saturday. ~Marti

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you. I will do my best to roll on, which will be easy given how round I am!

      Delete
  10. Hey girl, I like this post! No silly stuff from me tonight, what you say is true. Do it because you want to bring something... info, ideas, thoughts or a smile:@)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your comment! And you bring so many good thing (often quite yummy) to your blog.

      Delete
  11. Well my heart isn't weary...but you've DEFINITELY lifted it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, so glad to hear that. Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete
  12. What great words, Helen. I love the blog community. I've been having a hard time lately and feel I'm not doing my share here. Thank you for giving me permission to just enjoy the process, not beat myself up that I can't blog everyday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara - many people are on your side. You make us laugh and we want the best for you.

      Delete
  13. Sorry to say but that seems to be the way it is these days. Glad you let it all hang out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I try not to let it ALL hand out ;) Thank you for coming by.

      Delete
  14. Dear Helen - Dream of a blog you have here! So glad you stopped by my place at The Writer's Reverie. I will put you on my visiting list and am your new followers. LOVE all the great vintage images and your wit is a delight. Been LOL since I started reading. Wig on sideways . . .

    Anyway, I'm looking forward to getting to know you better. You've got a bit of the drama queen about you and a whole lot of whimsey. Something kindred about that . . .

    Joy!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you Kathy - your blog is a delight as well. You are exactly what I'm talking about meeting great new people who make blogging fun! I am following you back.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great advice presented with delightful humor. Now if I could just get my hair to look like Gloria's sideways wig, maybe my hubby would give me a cool canister set too. (sigh) Joyfully following you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Nancy. Like so many things, a happy relationship with your hubby does come down to good hair. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  17. Brilliant advice mixed with your amazing pics and humor. Love it! Two thumbs up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim - but careful with those thumbs, I don't want you falling out of the treehouse.

      Delete
  18. Dear Helen--This is a great post that I wish I could have read when I first started blogging. At first I was so worried about 'followers' and comments and everything else that I lost myself. Now I'm okay with what my blog is, and am glad that I can be myself and post what I want, and not worry too much about what people may think. I just wish I had more time to visit people like you!! THANKS for the great advice and reminder!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it when people come to visit. I usually pull my laptop into my lap (see how I worked out how to use it like that? Lap top. I am so clever) and visit blogs while I watch TV with hubby. Thank you for your kind words.

      Delete
  19. Dear Helen H: Thanks for this post! I have fallen into the mind set of "blogging for numbers" on occasion and it really does take all the fun out of something I only started doing for myself. Your words are timely and I have bookmarked them.

    In addition, your lovely hair posts have forced me to admit that I am a Failure at Hair, which is a very liberating admission. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - Failure at Hair. I want that T shirt! Thanks!

      Delete
  20. Hello Helen:
    Only you, we imagine, has the capacity to blog and drink a giant Martini at the same time!! Dearest Helen, you are unique, a one-off, an individual, a shining star in the Blogosphere. You have a voice unlike any other and can captivate your readers with your witty and cleverly illustrated posts. You 'do' your own thing with style....that is what we love!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. That means so much coming from you two, given that I sit and gaze at your adventures and think how even a mega martini won't make my life THAT interesting.

      Delete
  21. Love the advice and the lopsided wig. Have a wonderful Sunday, Ginger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ginger, hope your weekend is so good it knocks your hair sideways as well!

      Delete
  22. What a great post, Helen! You are quite practical and funny, and I love the retro-ness (I made that word up) of your blog. I've added you to my Bloglovin' feed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Did you say Retro-ness or Retro-MESS, sometimes it's hard to tell! Thanks for coming by and I am off to visit you back.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a post, loved it! And you are so right when you say:... "do it because you have a desire to participate in the world, not because you think the world should revolve around you"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am always so happy when I see your comments - I love your blog, even if I don't always comment on it. Talk about seeing the world - your blog is a way to do it!

      Delete
  25. geeeeze louise! 44 comments.....what a post ~ lol! Love : MEdia....how so very true! We use to get bummed when we'd have very little comments.....until customers came in and say they read our blog ALL of the time....you know, those "silent" fans ~ then we realized that it was THOSE customers that we were posting for....now we are cool with it!
    Hey, have a super ME weekend....it's always good to have some good me time ~ lol!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. LOL - you just never know who is reading your work, huh? A family member had shared the blog link with friends early on and when I saw her last summer she told me when I featured a family photo with her in it, she got texts from more than once person telling her YOU were mentioned in Helen's Hartman's blog - like it was a big deal and they didn't realize she knew me. So funny.

    ReplyDelete
  27. That is such wise advice! I have also wasted the day away, checking to see if I have any comments or likes or whatever and it's so tiring. Instead, I started using that time to create more content, enjoyable for the readers and internet friends that I do have. Focusing on social media because you enjoy it is much more rewarding. Once I figured out to use social media for the social aspect and not the "me" aspect, I made more friends, had more comments, followers, likes and certainly had more fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true - ugh to blogger though for messing with the social part - I commented on this right after you posted and it must not have uploaded!

      Delete
  28. Great advice Brittany! Use your time to do what you do better. You'd a thunk it? Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Well said & made me smile. As a new blogger it is of course great fun to have a comment to a post, but so far the best part of blogging is finding the huge networks of other bloggers I didn't know existed a short time ago. Talk about opening up your world... it is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Isn't it? Suddenly I know what life is like for bloggers all around the world. Thanks for coming by.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Well...you've burst my me-bubble...dang it. Now what shall I do?

    hahaha...just kidding... I love blogging b/c it's brought people like you into my life...for that I am eternally grateful.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I was indeed feeling a little weary and you have lifted my spirits and made me laugh! You are good my friend...very very good at what you do! Big Blog Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - what I really need to do is quit my day job and write and read blogs!

      Delete
  33. thanks for putting such a beautiful and wonderful perspective on the world of blogging........it's right on! I sure hope you are not thinking of quitting blogging. There's a whole world out there that adores your blog and you. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so sweet. I can't not blog, i just gotta finally figure out how to do it more efficiently.

      Delete
  34. I remember having a wig like that. I often put it on backwards and never knew the difference. Walking into a wall often gave me a clue :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bwaahhaha- I could never tell which way my Mom's wig was supposed to go either.

      Delete
  35. I agree sweets. Some become so discouraged if they aren't ultra popular, and look for comments to validate themselves. I think blogs should be fun. If they are causing one stress, and sadness. Dump it. If it's fun, do it in moderation, making sure it isn't taking time away from those that matter most. Thank you for always brightening my day!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Well said! You always make me smile. :) Blogging is an adventure, isn't it? It's more about giving than taking, I'm thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  37. HERE HERE, A fabulous post and just so true, well done you. dee xx

    ReplyDelete
  38. We all think a like on this subject. I started blogging to have semi human contact. I was a widow age 59 no close friends and distant family so thought I'll do a blog and show off my treasures and see if anyone looks at them LOL
    I have met some fun gifted smart witty intelligent talented shabby chic ladies like yourself

    Keep on Blogging and I need to slow down also , I did just like you said , do a post and then keep checking to see if anyone read it LOL

    I love reading blogs and posting, always amazed at the pictures etc , when the snow melts I will be outside pulling weeds so my flowers can come up pretty like, so I can take their pictures and post them LOL

    ReplyDelete
  39. Ps

    I work 3 days a week in an office and when my phone isn't ringing I read blogs, Per Ok with my boss

    ReplyDelete
  40. Thanks - y'all! I keep feeling at some point I will have my life together to juggle it all... hmmmm, I feel a post coming on.... cue the circus music....

    ReplyDelete

Loved To Have Their Own Say In Things Ones say:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...