Tuesday, March 19, 2013

SPRING HAS SPROi-Oi-Oi-INGED!

Dear Helen Hartman,
It's officially spring - everywhere but outside! I am so sick of winter and so ready for a little color in my life again. Love some suggestions for brightening up my life to feel more like spring.

Dear Loved Every Color but the Winter Blues One,
I hear you. And I think fashion designers did too! This isn't exactly what you asked but...

But this is what Helen WANTS to talk about. It's her blog and she's stubborn as a mule. A Rhinestone covered mule. 

Helen and her daughter have agreed we feel better when we look better

But Mom, I thought the rule was if you EAT CANDY you feel better.
Silly boy, Helen can do both (at least that's what she keeps telling herself)!

After years of drab colors and shapeless clothes - color seems to be back and Helen's closet is now full of it.

Must... Refrain... from making joke about Helen being full of it. 

In the form of simple dresses - which I have found are the PERFECT way to show off Vintage accessories!  So here are some my fun mix of new, old and retro inspired goodies for spring.


Denim and Dots dress, polka dot shoes from Target. Thrifted scarf, purse. Craft fair hair clip, vintage cherries, my fav red cowboy boots. Crocheted vest - Walmart.

Blouse and skirt and sunglasses from Target. Vintage scarf, gloves, hat, set off with a vintage pin of your choice! How very THAT GIRL, don't you think? 

Bright shirtwaist dresses from Target can become a lot of different looks with vintage scarves, necklaces, pins, sunglasses or... how about a psychedelic vintage sash? My thoughts on inexpensive clothes, always ditch the belt and supply a better one and with many dresses, a change of buttons can make a big difference. 


Last year's green dress from DressBarn gets dressed up with vintage buttons, a vintage belt, gloves and rhinestone headband. Cat Hair courtesy of Miss Moxie.
You mean the whole photo shoot wasn't about ME??
That belt thing - thrifted belt makes a Target shirt dress look great or if you are mad about the MOD look - vintage VERA scarves anyone? Or a vintage Sarah Coventry owl? No idea where I got the sunglasses but I bet they were a bargain.

Looking for a way to get more use of your pink Topsiders? Wear them with polka dots from DressBarn and a vintage can can! Pearls are always in style and leopard sunglasses? Every girl needs at least one pair.

Whew - thanks for indulging me. 
Just had so much fun thinking up ways to stop dressing like a post Zumba class zombie apocalypse survivor whenever I went out.

Color is back and good taste never goes out of style. 

Hope that gave you some bright ideas!

30 comments:

  1. Great ideas!! Love your Marlo Thomas paperdoll! :-) My sister collects those vintage owl necklaces..... err well she doesn't really... I collected them for her and then when I gave them to her, told her she was now collecting them. (Isn't that the same thing?)
    Your Miss Moxie looks exactly like my Katerina. They could be twins separated at birth. They could be look alike's for each other, in case one or the other ever had two very important engagements at the same time on the same day.... like cats sometimes do. ;-) Like a nap on someone's freshly laundered clothes and an hour of birdwatching duty at the front window.
    Hope you have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your collecting for your sister. I am sure she appreciates it! We thought Miss Moxie was an original but it's surprising how many clones she has!

      Delete
  2. Love the rhinestone touches and the pink topsiders, wow, sarah coventry, haven't heard that name in years, so cool to see all the outfits and that girl, wasn't she just the hottest thing around in her time,...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was and IS!! In the commentary on the DVDs of the show Marlo Thomas says she insisted that Ann have the cutest fashions because she knew a single girl in NYC then would have done w/o food to have cute clothes!

      Delete
  3. Lovely colours and blingy touches here! I'm so fed up with thermals, hats, fake furs and boots now! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And by fall you will be ready to embrace the cozy comforts of all of that again!

      Delete
  4. Very cool! Lovin' the boots and Topsiders.... hmmmm, never knew I was so into shoes:@)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. me either - until I found some shoes can be cute and also comfy!

      Delete
  5. I love your polka dots...it's your signature style! And those red boots are the cutest! I had a nice weekend....I bought 3 of your books for my Nook! I'm excited to read them and hope to get more! Sweet hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your inspirations are making me all googley-spiral-eyed. Now I want to see you in these combos! They are all dreamy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can'y show off in styles because no one will take pics for me... and I am crap at the self timer. A card full of photos of me in the wrong spot!

      Delete
  7. Love it! You and your daughter are smart girls. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has really made her a happier person. She looks great. I am lagging as I tend to think if I'm covered up I'm ok to go!

      Delete
  8. Oh hon! Those fashion spread shots had me gasping with glee. No joke. You really know how to pull it all together and the colors are delish. I also like to take Target fashions and mix them with vintage. In fact, while I was reading your post, the Mister was headed to Target and I showed him your shoes and said "please find these!" I hope they're this season. I know how he loves looking at women's shoes! : ) Absolutely loved this post. And your beautiful kitty. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes,the polka dots were just bought - I bought the bag at a thrift this winter and then saw those shoes! Squeeeee.

      Delete
    2. The Mister found them! He brought home two sizes -one too big and one too small. I'm now trying to stretch the two-small pair because they're THAT cute.

      Delete
  9. p.s. I forgot to add that your Sarah Coventry owl made me all misty eyed. Back when my grandmother was alive, we'd go through her jewelry box and anything that was Sarah Coventry, she'd say, "That's Sarah Coventry. That's the good stuff." : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG That's a direct quote from my mom - that's good stuff about SC, she'd always tell me to look for the mark to be sure :)

      Delete
  10. You really know how to put together those outfits! Seriously....if I could dress like the women in the late 1950s/early 1960s, I would! I loved those dresses and the coats to match!!! Love your "That Girl" reference, too. I thought she was just the end all of end alls back in the day!!! What was her boyfriend's name....Donald? Loved him too! Oh, to lose 30 lbs. so I could wear this kind of stuff again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Sigh that's why I can't wear vintage fashions - I'd never FIT! How did they get those tiny waists? Yes, Donald. I ADORED her, still do.

      Delete
  11. Fabuuuuulous! I hit forty and got rid of all of my black. Except for one pair of pants, because there is always somebody who dies with a family that has no sense of humor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - I do have black. This year I picked PINK, RED, Orange Denim and Black as colors to add so it's easier to think about accessories. Otherwise I'd go around looking like PUNKY BREWSTER!

      Delete
  12. Oh, so Marlo! I love it. I'm so glad that spring is here and I'm starting to see green when I look out the window. Your colorful post was icing on the cake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh icing! We woke up to 22 degrees outside. Guess we'll be bundled up a bit longer.

      Delete
  13. Ha! Marlo Thomas...yes, I always thought if they did a story on my life, Marlo would play me for sure..so happy and perky and peppy!! Loves life and everything about it! You just gotta I love her!
    Your outfits are so hip and mod. I would die for those red boots! And I agree with the others..let's see ol'Helen in all your glory, outfitted to the springtime wonder! Bring it on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I promise - when its warm enough to go outside and I learn to use the remote on my camera!

      Delete
  14. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wish there was a way to not allow anonymous comments. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, Sweetpea!! Those put the Cha-cha-Cha in CHARMING!

    Were I twenty years younger (and the size I was then), I'd be following your every move and purchase and shopping trip. My secret hanker is to raid Penelope Garcia's closet, or retro twenty MORE years---Abby of NCIS.

    Your clothes have that COOOOLEST factor, and I hope it's convertible weather soon!! Can't wait to see those glasses shining and those scarves trailing wafts of Arpege into the breeze.

    rachel

    ReplyDelete

Loved To Have Their Own Say In Things Ones say:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...