Thursday, April 18, 2013

Ladies Who Lunch!

Loved Ones, Lunch with a friend today - and some time at one of my favorite Antique Malls.

Not that I'm excited or anything but, oh, who am I fooling? Cue the June Taylor Dancers... let's make a big production of this.

Can't wait to share what I find with y'all. I find in times of sadness and stress over the state of the world, being among the personal treasures of people and days gone by is calming. It lends a sense of consistency to life that can be missing in this in-with-the-new-out-with-the-old time when people come and go, families don't live near one another and we keep in touch with old friends with tweets and status updates.


Yeah, I know, sometimes a tweet is enough when a lot of your friends are twits. But look at it this way, a true friend doesn't care about 'status', so if you have some of those, shouldn't you make an effort to have Face-to-face time instead of just facebook time?

Hope to make some wonderful finds, not buying as much these days as I have begun to be all responsible and ask myself questions like: Where will I PUT this?

Note I don't ask Do I really WANT this or even NEED this because the answer is always YES!! But space is at a premium so more likely to say yes to small things like a vintage hair barrette than  big things.  
So today is about connections for me. Also a little bit about running away from home for a few hours to clear my brain (also something junkin' does for me). It's about reclaiming my life after my own personal dive into a big ol' pity pool. 

Of COURSE I looked Fabulous even while wallowing in self pity, was there every any doubt? 

How about you - what does Junkin' do for you that isn't just about the 'junk'?

18 comments:

  1. I'm in the "where will I put this" mode right now, too. Can't find something to replace the thing I really don't like and too many trinkets that I do but ..."Where will I put it?" Still, just getting out there is good therapy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to play hookie and go antiquing with my friend Tanya. We only have a couple good shops here but once in a while we find some cool items. The day is fun filled and lunch is always great with a good friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, you've given me an idea of what I can do with my day, tomorrow! Have a fabulous day out, Helen - hope you find something GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't need anything, but I just can't resist buying a few little things if I think they are a good bargain. Looking around in antique/flea market malls allows me to step back in time for a couple of hours. To a time when life was (or seemed so) more simple. And, it's just plain fun!

    Have a great time and I hope you find some neat stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haven't junked in a while now because I already own too much JUNK! lol Hope you have a wonderful day away- you deserve it. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh girlfriend, can we talk? (said in my best Joan Rivers' voice) Not only is it treasure hunting, but when I find an outfit or collectible, the angels start to sing!

    If I am feeling blue, thrifting always perks me up. Sometimes I just take pictures of cute or quirky items in the thrift shops because I can't bring home everything ~

    thriftshopcommando.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Knowing I've scored a treasure that no one else will be able to score ever again just flat out does it for me. Guess my last name should have been 'Petty', eh?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Girl, you SAID it!!! This is a world that revolves around quick and easy, new over old, and nothing beyond the here and now. Sad. I miss the days when getting together weekly with friends was almost EXPECTED. Looking around in flea markets and antique shops gives me a sense of what I missed by being born just about 20 years too late. I'm sure I missed a lot of bad things, too, but I try to focus on the good. There are things in those shops that remind me of my Grandparents or my nanny or things my parents used to have/do. (My Mom throws stuff out pretty routinely, so there's almost nothing left of my childhood if I didn't take it when I left there!!!) It is calming and reassuring to know that some people DID keep things and that their loved ones cared enough to put those things in a place where they could be loved all over again.

    This was a really good post, Annie. Thanks! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Gosh I can relate.... I am always asking myself where am I going to put this... I usually don't come up with a answer right away. =O

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am the same way....thrift shopping is FUN! It takes me away and I lose all track of time. I ran into 2 thrift stores this week when I was donating a load to one of them! haha! I found something on my wish list...something I've NEVER found before! You just never know. It feels so much quieter everywhere this week. Sweet hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sometimes junkin' takes me back to earlier days and memories but many times it reinforces just how well made things used to be! Have fun with your friend:@)

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's so funny (strange - not Ha ha) because I, myself wandered an antique mall, not needing a thing, just clearing my head of all the ugliness of late by filling it with pretty things.

    Works every time!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Interesting post!! To me it is about the thrill of the hunt and sometimes about the irony of finding exactly what I have been looking for like it was meant to be.
    Thanks so much for stopping by!!

    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  14. it's like a mini vacation, plus I very often buy memories. ebay and etsy can do that too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Had a wonderful time. Didn't buy much but happy to have gone and wandered and laughed. Thank you everyone for your thoughts. Ready to show my finds and get back to running people's lives Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oooh, the thrill of the hunt. It keeps your mind off of your worries.

    ReplyDelete
  17. When I'm thrifting for my personal use, it's about the accomplishment of finding a really valuable piece at a super low price.

    ReplyDelete

Loved To Have Their Own Say In Things Ones say:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...