Tuesday, April 30, 2013

May Day! May Day!


Dear Helen Hartman,
Why don't more people celebrate May Day? I really love the holiday, and I can't figure out why other people are letting the holiday die when it marks the unofficial beginning to summer and it involves an adult version of ding, dong, ditch! How can I get my friends and readers to be more involved in making May Day special?

Dear Loved May One One,
Ding Dong Ditch? Helen adores playing that game! 

GAME? I thought it was a SONG! I've been going door to door singing "Ding dong the witch is dead..."
Kelly, not the brightest candle in the crayon box.
Y’all know what the writer means about May Day, right? There is a tradition of going to your neighbor’s doorstep, leaving a gift, ringing the bell then running...

 Right. Like Helen has ever run anywhere! 



What kind of gift? 


It's always about the gift with you, isn't it? I hope you're happy. Now you have Helen wondering if she plans to love you for another week or not.

We used to make construction paper May Day baskets with tissue flowers to take door to door when I was a kid.


And by door to door Helen means when she was a child they went cave to cave.

‘Round about where I live May day has gotten over shadowed by something. Y’all may have heard of it?



So while Helen is busy jockeying for position at the mint julep bar she suggests you head over to visit Bolton Carley here to celebrate the holiday. The welcome mat is out.


Caution Door Butler with daisies not made with real grass 'fingers', does not posses actual magic nor does it in any way say 'welcome'. Also there is no connection whatsoever with any butler. And what the heck is that little girl doing? Helen thinks she's setting a trap for potential May Day visitors.
Play nice. Leave a basket of kind words. 


No singing required but if you do happen to show up in you bikini... no pictures, please. 

Drink a beer from a cottage cheese tub (now you have to go over to see what THAT’s about) Also - no ding dong ditch.

Joining Wow Us Wednesday!

21 comments:

  1. Love the bikini pic! Thanks for putting me out there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's YOU isn't it? You are darling in every way.

      Delete
  2. I folded 20 May Day baskets in the style I had as a child. Instead of construction paper I used 9" squares of scrapbook paper. Loaded them up with silk flowers on one sid and Puppy Chow Chex on the other side. No Ding-Dong-Ditch tomorrow but I'll put them in co-worker's offices!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so sweet. Times like these I wish I liked anyone enough to be nice to them.

      Delete
  3. We never celebrated May Day in northeast Texas when I was a kid. I don't even remember making baskets at school or having a May pole. I wonder if the celebration has always been more popular in certain areas than others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG _ I forgot the May Pole - we used to have May Fete in High School for the seniors. As a junior girl, I got to wind the maypole.

      Delete
  4. A tisket, a tasket, a green and yellow basket!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wasn't that a game too - like Duck Duck Goose?

      Delete
  5. Happy May 1st! I definitely remember making May baskets with my grandmother. April was the longest month on record for rain in our state. Bring on the bikinis and warm temps. Great ads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - I thought you'd have a May Day tree, girl!

      Delete
  6. We're off to a fun start this month. I sure love that last image...saved it on my desktop. Hope you don't mind! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh darlin' they don't belong to me, they are just finds from magazines. I guess if I cared, I'd stick my web addie on them!

      Delete
  7. Scrambling to find my cottage cheese tub, right after this...we have a windy, migraine-inducing May Day going in Vegas right now, so cottage cheese beer might just the the ticket. Heading there next to see what's up with that - Happy May Day, Helen...Rock on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - I will never drink my beer another way I fear. Hope those migraines don't get you down.

      Delete
  8. Fun post! I've never seen beer in a cottage cheese container, I must be missing out! Or it might be due to the fact I don't like beer. Now, a strawberry daiquiri? That's another story. Happy first day of May!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know they sell those in beer cans now? You could be in business.

      Delete
  9. Happy May to you as well Annie....around here we May Day turns into May Birthday Month....and my birthday celebrants want cash...not paper cones filled with throw away flowers ~ lol!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember doing ding dong ditch, but I didn't know that's what it was called! We made May Day baskets at school, too, and it was always so much fun. I wanted mine to be the most perfect in the class. Hmmmm...any wonder why I do what I do now? :-)

    Hilarious as always! I wonder if you and I ever lived on the same cave block? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I almost miss those mats with the fake grass and daisies...almost.

    ReplyDelete

Loved To Have Their Own Say In Things Ones say:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...