Thursday, April 4, 2013

You Gotta Make the Connection!

Dear Helen Hartman,
Where are you?

Dear Loved Ones,
My Internet went out!

Did it go dancing? I always want to go dancing when we go out.

I want to tell you it was a complicated thingamajig kerfuffle that made it all go kahplooey.

Sorry to use such technical language. I'd have acted it all out with my new estate bundle of paperdolls but I still haven't gone through them all yet.
But in truth late last night, after many calls and tests and everyone having a go at the normal things one tries and a technician being scheduled to come out to the house "sometimes between dawn and dusk on a day ending in y", Helen decided it was time to do something drastic. Something she has sworn she would never do, not even under duress.

You went and picked out your own outfit, didn't you? You've been cautioned you might end up being chased my men with big nets if you did that, Helen!

Nope. Helen.... cleaned behind the media cabinet.

I hope you had a full staff of nurses standing by to revive you! (yes, these are the kinds of nurses I would have on hand, patient, attentive and - hey, look, a seagull!)

Yeah. About that modem causing 'intermittent and unreliable' signals? 

Sending unreliable signals? Mind if I keep this number to see if they can someone out to fix that problem with my boyfriend?  
Um... yeah... well...

Next stop, Dorkville, make yourself comfy while you settle in to eat your words.

Helen will be calling the provider this morning to tell them not to come. Perhaps she will also suggest that  when asking all those precisely guided, pointed and seemingly endless questions they might want to add: DO YOU HAVE A CAT?

People don't HAVE cats. They SERVE cats. Get it right.

In my defense if you saw Moxie Miss T you would NEVER guess she could get her body in that narrow of a space. But you would absolutely understand that if she tried, she'd knock some of the wires just loose enough to cause issues.

You mean there was something Helen could have done better? Color me shocked! 

The point Helen is choosing to take away from this is: Never underestimate the determination of a cat wanting to get to a catnip toy stash and like all things in life, take time to attend to your connections in life.

IOW - things are seldom black or white.  But if they are, they better be as fabulous as this or why bother?

It's not enough to just check in now and then or to trust appearances. Keeping communication lines open means sometimes you have to do the real work of clearing things out and making sure you have plugged in to your power source, not just barely hanging in.

Also, watch your cat. She may be sneakier than you think.  

26 comments:

  1. I am glad you are back up and running! We had internet problems all week, too- UGH! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the best people must be having internet issues, then! I didn't mind it as much as I thought I would but felt bad for my 'kids' who are adults but when they come home from work they usually settle in and visit with friends.

      Delete
  2. You could probably teach the Geek Squad a thing or two 'bout cats and 'puters. Great job, Ms. Helen...AND That Girl and National Velvet in one grouping of paper dolls - EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! Happy Thursday, for sure - XOXO Tanya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some dolls in great shape, some pretty beat up - LOTS of clothes, which were what I really wanted. One day I WILL do an art project with them. If the cat doesn't get them first.

      Delete
  3. Blech, I hate smooty internet problems! I hope it will be ship shape soon! I am with you, I am trying to give up meat too. When I see all of the darling personalities of cows and chickens, it's hard to want to eat one. Plus, vegetarian is better for us anyway isn't it??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what they say. I never understood when vegetarian friends complained that they couldn't eat out, etc but now I get it. One does not live by salad alone!

      Delete
  4. Tell me about it. Lizzie Cosette has decided that cords are even more fun to play with than her own toys. And sometimes they even play well together! I feel your pain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes, I hope she doesn't decide to bite into one!

      Delete
  5. I love that jar with the crayons in it. HOW COOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought it for nuts, but nuts to that!

      Delete
  6. All this computer stuff is great... when it works! And yep, always keep an eye on the cat:@)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know where she is right now. Should I be worried?

      Delete
  7. Oh, man....that's funny!!!! Your CAT was the culprit??!??!!! Our Internet went out the other day, and it was a doozy figuring out the reason why. We don't have a cat, so that wasn't it...or was it? They're crafty little boogers, and I'll bet it yours could slip back there in that narrow space, a stray could CERTAINLY slip in through our unlocked front door! :-) The cats of the world are out to get me!!!!!!!!

    Glad you got it fixed and that you are back at it! I'm headed back to Dorkville now, so I'll bid you farewell until next week! Have a good one! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cats do have a fascination with all things computery - I suspect they know that with computers they could take over the world!

      Delete
  8. Dear Helen, Please refrain from flaunting your magnificent stash of paper doll books. It does very little to help my nervous disposition and reminds me of the one-per-year rule my mother adhered to with ferocious stoicism. Walking home from school I would nip into the newsagent to fondle and stroke those precious tomes of beauty and glory. However, I must do a complete about face and say you have helped me to understand why I wear floral headbands bigger than a newborn baby. Very similar to the brave about-face you've had to do with the telco company. Damn cats and their cuteness!!!! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bwahahaa - that's how cats get you. She not only wreaked havoc on the household but then decided to tear up a houseplant, cover herself with dirt, roll on the grass then meow so sadly that she got a treat.

      Delete
  9. LOVIN' the new border & blogy stuff! Laughing about your kitty cat troubles...also laughing because I had to call the gas company this morning so they could schedule a safety visit and they asked if we had pets....just a cat I replied...well...I guess I shouldn't have said "JUST" lol!! Keep that catnip up out of paws reach next time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JUST! We have 3 dogs and 2 cats and this ONE cat is more trouble than all of them somedays.

      Delete
  10. I just HATE it when it goes out I could take the computer out to the street and run over it, but it's not the computer its the internet and when you call did you unplug it
    and wait before plugging it in again. yeaks I don't have to worry about a cat and the dogs aren't interested. So glad you fixed it.
    Have a great weekend
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary - the humbling part of it all is how much impatience I have with their goofy questions- of course I checked all the cords, etc.Oh, except the one that I can't reach I just looked at it real hard. THAT was the one.

      Delete
  11. I really hate when I have internet problems and it is especially bad when they come to fix it and say I have a loose wire. Ummmmm, I know I have a few loose wires, but how rude!!!!!
    Hugs,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! At least I got to cancel the technician with a press of a button and didn't have to explain to anyone.

      Delete
  12. Since we are on the subject...rabbits chew cords. Anybody thinking Christmas Vacation? Drat those pets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! Moxie doesn't chew but think her width squishing herself back there probably knocked things loose.

      Delete
  13. Can I please come over and play paper dolls with you? It's one of my favorite things to do! We used to have cats...not any more. My hubby misses them....if I could write tiny tiny I would say...i don't! lol Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love it everytime I enter your magical world.Those ere the years!All rosie-rosie at least in the commercials!

    ReplyDelete

Loved To Have Their Own Say In Things Ones say:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...