Friday, May 17, 2013

All the Answers?


Dear Helen Hartman, 
Isn't it time you had something different on your blog? Like an actual answer to a question? Love to see you pull THAT off!

Dear Loved (imagine Helen making invisible quote marks in the air) One,
You want answers? You think Helen can't deliver answers? Well there is one thing about Helen you don't know!

That Helen spends a lot of time in her pajamas scaring small children?

No, that Helen knows she doesn't have all the answers. 

In fact Helen's advice is often as helpful as giving a sewing machine the size of a tractor to a glamour gal!

But Helen does have friends who have answers! Today dear friend and fantastic author of books like Reclaim My Heart  has an answer to the question...

 Why do you write Romance?

I can’t tell you how many times over the course of my 20-plus year career as a published romance author I have been asked, “When are you going to write a real book? You know, a [insert genre of choice: mystery, historical, thriller, etc].” 

Or a cookbook - because people need to be saved from ideas for eating right. And, apparently also for eating wrong. Very, very wrong.

So I’d like to take this opportunity to tell readers why I write romance novels.
I suffered a lot of tragedy while I was growing up, the worst of which was the death of my mother just as I was entering my teens. I felt as though I went from 13 to 35 overnight, and when my friends were off having fun, I was cooking and cleaning and helping my little brother with his homework. 

Romance novels were an escape for me. The Wolf and the Dove, The Far Pavilions, Whitney My Love, Rebecca, The Thorne Birds… if the book featured one man and one woman falling in love, I read it! 

Sigh. Me too, Donna.

Romance novels offered me hope for a happy future filled with love (hokey, maybe, but I was a naïve teen). As a young wife and mother, I discovered Silhouette Romance Novels. These books were short and sweet and uplifting. Each and every story put a smile on my face, and the happily-ever-after endings always boosted my spirits.

Yep, better than scotch (what ISN'T?) or even a glass of wine? Helen agrees that being swept away  by words is a wonderful way to change your outlook.
 Are romance novels real? No. Does every real-life relationship end in HEA? Of course not. But if I wanted doom and gloom, I’d watch the evening news.

No thank you. Unless it's got a girl in a striped hat tap dancing with a cane, it's not welcome on Helen's fancy portable TV.

As an author, I can’t think of a better way to use my talent than to bring pure enjoyment to my readers. I tell people that I write cotton candy for the mind. Think about that. When you were a kid and you put a small cloud of that wispy confection on your tongue, what did you do? You smiled. And maybe you even laughed. That’s the reaction I’m going for with my short, upbeat stories. That’s why I write romance novels. So if you’re looking to get lost for a few hours in a fun, cheery story, I hope you’ll try one of my books. 


Helen hopes you will too! Find them on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, for Kobo and find out more about Donna on Facebook!

Joining Pink Saturday!

26 comments:

  1. It's a rare gift, being able to make someone else smile without any strings attached.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Helen, for admitting your shortcomings in the question-answering department and for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SHORTCOMINGS? Helen thinks avoiding real answers is definitely her LONG SUIT! (you know like long underwear with a flap in the back!)

      Delete
  3. Who needs real answers when these are so much fun?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha Oh that Helen! Give her a Martini and call it a day! lol Happy Pink Saturday Grace

    ReplyDelete
  5. You do a super job combining the past with the present.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a positive way to deal with tragedy. Always look for the happy side of life. It's as real as the sad side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true. Donna's books are so special, I love them.

      Delete
  7. I believe writers tell the story that wants to be told. Ms. Fasano is very gracious. If someone asked me to defend something which requires as much talent and work as getting to publication I'd be wincing and telling them they had something dangling from their nostril.
    And the woman in the scotch advert? She has got some seriously crazy angry eyes. I don't think 70's tie guy should turn his back on her for long. Happy Pink Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL on the ad - it does make you wonder about marketing of the past, we don't have the monopoly on weird advertising. Donna is very talented.

      Delete
  8. Oh, my gosh...look at how that television is weighing that poor woman's arm down!!! It looks like it's going to yank her arm straight out of its socket!!! Remember back in the day when "portable" TVs were that heavy??!?!?! No? Me, neither! I'm not that old either!!! ;-)

    Funny, too, what used to pass for glamour. What misguided/blind soul told that woman leaning on the sewing machine that those colors go together...especially in that hideous fabric??!?!??!

    You've made me laugh again today. That's why I keep comin' back! Have a great weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Tv ad boggles my mind too - it was in the 50s, didn't even know they had them then and I didn't show the part that says - it's warranty is for 1 year! (they say it like that's a selling point!)

      Delete
  9. Dear Helen, I found you on my (short) list of followers and finally came to visit! What a fun household you have here! I looked through lots of your posts, and now I'm really hungry for Hawaiian meat chunks and olive gelatin, not to mention a few slugs of whiskey (and it's only 10:00 AM here). I'm adding you to my blog list right now, and I'm ever so sorry it took me so long to return your hospitality. I look forward to many new recipes and advice on how to keep up with all the advancements of the 20th Century!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I suggest that meat chunks are best with a big slug of whiskey!

      Delete
  10. Oh, you are priceless! I thought you couldn't beat your Derby Day hat and then you post this to make me smile! I must pass your link on to a dear friend who also writes romance novels because the 'cotton candy' quote is spot on!
    Have a lovely weekend,
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful Robin, so glad you are sharing. I love romance writers ;)

      Delete
  11. What a great post! I'm more of a history reader myself, but I had a 90 yr. old grandmother that LIVED for romance novels - Birthdays, Christmas, Mother's Day - you name it...any chance to stop and buy her romance novels, I did! Then there was the year I bought her a Fabio calendar for her kitchen (after my grandpa had passed) - she called him "that cute boy from the books"!

    Donna - I'm SURE you probably brought quite a few smiles to her face, and her heart! Thank you for that! Happy Saturday, Helen - XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FABIO! When I first started writing, my blond hubby Bob's coworkers called him BOBIO! My Mom read a historical romance a day when she was older. There's a reason they are the most popular selling genre.

      Delete
  12. That's exactly what I tell folks when they ask why I READ romances! I am sure I am simply echoing all of the other great comments I do not have time to read this morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - find time, it will brighten your day!

      Delete

Loved To Have Their Own Say In Things Ones say:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...