Saturday, June 15, 2013

Dad Won't Tell You... But Helen Will

Dad. He's a great guy but not a great communicator.

Like THIS expression for example. He does this every time I tell him how I've saved so much money by buying us stuff and I STILL have no idea what it means!

Especially when it comes to giving you ideas about what he'd like for Father's Day. 

Fat chance! That kind of thing was how he BECAME a father. (What? You thought Helen was going to make a joke about seamen, didn't you? Honestly, would Helen do THAT? Obviously not if she couldn't THINK of a joke like that!)

So here is a very short list of Dad's day Dos and Don'ts to help you out.

Do think about things to make his life easier.

Billy considered getting Dad an automatic garage door opener. Did I say Billy? I meant TOO LAZY To LIFT A FINGER TO HELP DAD OUT Billy.

But as many a Dad will warn you: Don't fix what ain't broke. 

Dad didn't need a garage door opener - he MARRIED one! And she cooks, too!

Do consider how you can make the many chores he does around the house more pleasant.

For instance, by staying out of his way! Here's a cool tip - stay indoors drinking Long Island Iced Teas with the girls.  Like the sign says, hardwaremen don't need your help for anything, they want to be independent!  


Don't be afraid to do something to make his work more interesting, of course!

"By Golly, lawn mowing is a lot more fun since every time I complete a lap around the yard the Mrs. stands at the window and flashes me!"

Dads don't ask for much. Just to be treated like he's larger than life one day a year.

4.95? For a giant poster of us canoodling? Are you kidding me? I got a perfectly good photo of us right here and it don't keep me awake staring down on me reminding me what a spendthrift I married!
Sigh. Some Dad's are hard to please. In truth, I'm out of ideas for Hubby Hartman myself. Maybe this year, for once, I'll give him what he really wants - I'll pack a picnic, head outdoors... and leave him in peace for a whole day! 


Happy Father's Day! 

18 comments:

  1. That wheel horse DOES look like fun! And you can smoke while you work! Giving Dad a day alone might be just the ticket! I'll ask hubby! haha! Sweet hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smoking while you work was pretty much the norm back then, Hubby H can mow the lawn all he wants but no smoking!

      Delete
  2. Too Funny!! My man's getting a pork chop gravy (I hardly cook anymore) and a bottle of wine.
    Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment so that I could find your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming by! Good food and wine, Dads all over are envious.

      Delete
  3. Heehee - how did you know to describe things so perfectly? Happy father's day to y'all! sandie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - just lived with a difficult dad for a while, that gives you a lot of answers.

      Delete
  4. This is so funny! What a darling post!!!! I think you last idea for father's day is best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. Hubby is happy when everyone is out of the house so no one is leaving lights on or trying to cool down the whole neighborhood!

      Delete
  5. You nailed it on every point! Hope you are celebrating a happy father's Day in your world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's happily setting up a new train set in the basement. Happy man.

      Delete
  6. Every day was father's day for my dad! Haha. He was quite a character. He often infuriated me, but I did love him in spite of it all. Hope your weekend was a nice one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it. Reminds me of several men in my life. Hugs, Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember being the garage door opener in my house. Also the remote control.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely the remote control. Sometimes they'd call a kid in from another room. Luckily there were only a few channels

      Delete
  9. I have trouble finding the right gift for my hubby and sons. Often I have an idea but it'd be better if they picked it out themselves (to get the right features and all). Enter the gift card. Though not as touching perhaps, as a hand-picked gift, it can be a lifesaver sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yep. I was gonna get mine tools but he said "That's something a man's gotta pick out for himself."

    ReplyDelete

Loved To Have Their Own Say In Things Ones say:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...