Monday, June 24, 2013

It's a Sunshine Day!

Dear Helen Hartman,
My sister-in-law delights in telling people how out of date I am. She says she is only kidding when she jokes about my Brady Bunch Sunshine Day outlook on life. Sometimes she can be such a…a…a Marcia, Marcia, Marcia! Love some advice on what to do when someone criticizes you for living in the past.

Dear Loved Life As a 'JAN" until Marcia Ruined It One,
Helen is tempted to ask: Why shouldn’t I live in the past? I know all the music there.

And Helen is NOT afraid to dance The Pony to prove it!

As is usually the case you have practically already answered your own question! 

Helen's legal counsel would like to issue this disclaimer: Solving your own problems is a complicated and arduous undertaking best left to professionals. Do Not Try This At Home.

I like to think this is because the average Dear Helen Hartman reader is smarter than she/he often gives her/his self credit for being.

Legal counsel again, here to remind you that undertaking solving your own problems without the help of Helen  Hartman is not advisable. In fact, unlike the quick and kicky dishes one might find in this vintage cira late 60s or early 70s tin, it is a recipe for disaster.
First you say your sil DELIGHTS in deviling you. Sounds to me like she is a bit of a bully. Like most bullies, even the ones who swear they are "just kidding", she is getting something out of her needling at your expense. 

How do they sleep at night? Even VERA sheets from the finest department stores can't soothe their troubled spirits.

The key here is that you say you are LIVING in the past. In other words whatever you are doing that has others up in arms is part of how you chose to live. The time to worry is not when you are living your life but when you are STUCK.

Stuck is bad. Whether it is sticking your ad in a weird juxtaposition or not reading carefully and getting your false teeth and, um, other body openings stuck with Dap.


If you are stuck in the past (or in the present or in the future – yes, you CAN be stuck in the future when you think “when I lose 10 lbs or when I pay off this debt, THEN I’ll really start livin’”) That’s not a good thing. Put having a Sunshine Day outlook? I say embrace it.

But be smart about all things sunshiney, I don't think they even MAKE SOLARCANE anymore and frankly, it never really worked that well anyway!

And Next time your sil gives you a hard time – start singing this:


 That’ll teach her! 

Legal Counsel here again: Clicking the link to listen to the Brady Bunch sing It's a Sunshine Day may result in song lodging itself in your brain for an extended period. May also cause seizures in people not old enough to grasp that this was once considered super cool entertainment. Do not click link if you are pregnant, nursing, have high blood pressure or a full bladder and especially not while playing twister with members of the opposite sex as ensuing inability to control the need to do the Skate, Hustle or Boogaloo may end in charges of sexual harassment or causing extreme mental distress.


14 comments:

  1. You're right that "if only and as soon as" are as bad as "coulda, shoulda, woulda." It's best to be firmly grounded in today...even if you're sitting on a sofa made in 1957.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, as for me, I think there is much to be said for somewhat living in the past and not jumping feet first into the future. They both have their charms... but ah, the past... 50 pounds less, 20 years younger (maybe 30!), no woes! I'll take it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sigh. What I wish I knew then that I know now is that I wasn't FAT or UGLY as I thought.

      Delete
  3. I am laughing once again! I love your posts. Ummmmmm....they DO still use Solarcaine and we used a WHOLE spray can of it on sunburns on vacation this past week. I think it is the new improved formula- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can still remember the SMELL of it - and the oiliness. ugh!

      Delete
  4. Your lawyer is hot! Laughing, as I always do when I come here. I like living in the past too, as long as I'm in the present. Living in the future I'm just older.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, living in the past while living in the present is the best. Wait better would be SHOPPING in the past while living in the present.

      Delete
  5. I live in the past when it comes to music...they just don't make good music anymore! I was the Cindy of the bunch, my older sister was the Jan, and my oldest sister was a Marcia for sure! Stuck up and blonde! Just live like you want and make sure you do not show her she gets to you...that is what she is after..just blow her off and pretend you don't hear her comments..eventually she will get bored and stop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That Marcia - she will ever needle the Jans of the world!

      Delete
  6. "Can't you dig the sunshine?" Seriously, I didn't have to click on the video to know that line. I see reruns of The Brady Bunch on TV these days and think "I had that dress!" "I had those shoes!" Marcia shopped in all the same places I did - she was such a copycat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - oh those long pointy collars! I remember reading about the Bunch in TigerBeat and thinking they were so cool.

      Delete
  7. I didn't have to click the link to start singing the song:) Also loved the Partridge family!

    Love your outlook Dear Helen!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How can you have a bad day with those songs on your lips - the meanies can't stand to get close enough to give you a hard way to go.

      Delete

Loved To Have Their Own Say In Things Ones say:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...