Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Faced my Fear and it Had an Actual FACE!

GREETINGS FROM:



Had a blast reliving the past out on The Mother Road until...

Your car broke down?

No, I had a decision to make. Something I saw many years ago in a state of disrepair and to be honest it TOTALLY CREEPED ME OUT. So much I thought about not even making the side trip to see it but then, at the last minute a sign from on high...


Not THAT high


Certainly not from that high up! 


Nope a sign said, basically, Catoosa that-a-way. I'd passed up 2 exits already, this one would require me to backtrack a little. 

Helen NEVER backtracks!

I made the choice to take that path and face my fears and guess what?

Your fears were well founded - no trespassing on the Ark, btw

No, the famous Route 66 landmark Blue Whale was open and we could not just take photos but go up inside it! It was so cool!

I couldn't get far enough back to a full photo

I don't know what I was afraid of... okay it was creepy the first I saw it and conjured up images of summer camp serial killers and/or haunted highways.
But I made that turn, I took that path, I confronted the beast and now I'm not afraid of it anymore!



Though I didn't need the posted No Swimming sign to tell me not to keep a healthy fear of the water!



So what are your plans today, Loved Ones? I suggest you dare to do something new, face a fear, take a new direction. Who knows, you may see the world from a whole new vantage point.





20 comments:

  1. LOVE IT~ We drove Rt 66 in Arizona in April and there was plenty of kitchy fun (see my posts) but no huge landmark! Where is this!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a the Port of Catoosa in Oklahoma - it used to be a place for family's to play in the water.

      Delete
  2. I've only taken Route 66 from Amarillo to Albuquerque, but I loved every mile of it. I may have a detour to Catoosa in my future too, because, frankly, your photos of the blue whale creeped me out a little and I may need a little up-close-and-personal therapy myself. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is so much better than it was a few years ago - it was in bad shape this time it made me smile.

      Delete
  3. Well, I don't know where the heck you are but this sure looks like you are having a ton of fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - we really did. There is some kind o magic on Route 66 I swear it.

      Delete
  4. We didn't get to Blue whale on our Route 66 tour and it was on my bucket list. Glad I can live through you on this. The girls did pose with the tallest rocking chair last summer. Keep the pics coming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was so cool, but the whale was my favorite. Now I want to do more. There is just something so American about the small towns and tacky places. How I wish more were still available.

      Delete
  5. It definitely makes sense to me to maintain a healthy respect for (FEAR OF) water!!! And if I were you, I'd still be a little bit creeped out by that whale. You HAVE heard of a fellow named Jonah, right? ;-)

    Those are some fun sights along the way! Enjoy yourself, and be careful!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did think that Jonah might have been right at home!

      Delete
  6. That is a bit of a nasty whale with a come hither look in his eye. I don't blame you. We were in Arizona and hit a small town off Route 66 that the interstate passed by. It is near the Grand Canyon. I loved it! They were hanging in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some places have let it fall by the wayside, some have really embraced it.

      Delete
  7. Traveling Route 66 is on my list of "things to do". What fun! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that we've hit some spots I am keen to do the whole thing!

      Delete
  8. You sure saw some interesting things along the way! I remember traveling on Route 66 when we left the Grand Canyon area a few years back. And of course RT 66 stretches from around Joplin to St Louis here in Missouri. I haven't traveled that whole stretch ever, just part of it. I want to do that sometime!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are big chunks that are just gone so you have to do some work to find the bits that are still worth visiting.

      Delete
  9. Wow - have never seen a whale like this, but I can understand your fears. I was out that way years ago, but didn't see him. Hope he didn't see me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - he really was a happy guy this time!

      Delete
  10. Wow, a whale! We had the giant fish. Yep, fish.

    ReplyDelete

Loved To Have Their Own Say In Things Ones say:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...